Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM:P2138 TPS correlation error,after getting rained on

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Default long day at dealer

Originally Posted by 3/4 life crisis
Check the TBW plug by the air cleaner. I would coat the connector with dielectric grease before plugging it back in.
That was the first thing I did. I had fashioned a cover with some elec tape a zip tie and an oil bottle cap. to hide that ugly plug,it looked good,been OK for 3 years. heck it protected the wires going into the plug.

So I take it in to the dealers this AM, the first thing they said was thats yer problem. they took it off took it for a ride, Didn't happen, Said that'll be 50 bucks. grrrr..I thought ,I dont think so but... ok. Hop on the bike fire it up, Service tech standing there, my hands were off the grips, Vrooom, put put,VROOOM. engine light back on. I said you saw that right,Its got a mind of its own. He said bring it back in. an hour and a half later, he comes out and says were gonna replace the 6 pin connector, I say OK hurry up its about to rain again,That shouldnt take long. 45 min later he comes out and says its still doing it, We got a Tech Tip fron HD about those pins and we're gonna change em to these newer silver ones, That should do it. another 45 min. later I see one of the tech's pulling back in on my bike from a test ride in the rain.He went right back to the lift. Tried to tell em I have a rain sock for the air filter. And what about that green plug thing?In the twistgrip that others have problems with? Im betting thats it.Well now its going on 4 hours and I see the bike on the lift, Fairing off,Theyre pulling wires through the bars the twistgrip off, I think OK now were getting somewhere. They finally send a guy out an he says they replaced the twister and plug unit,BUT... It still does it! We called HD and were going to replace the entire throttle body,We have one here and just need approval, It should be ready tomorrow.Can we give you a ride home? arrrgh! after 5 hours there I said OK. I hope that does finally fix it.. anyway at least its covered and only gonna cost the $50 deductable I paid in the first place. Hope y'all have better luck than I.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a bunch of parts changers. Most are these days.....

Old 07-05-2013, 08:22 PM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokey Stover
That was the first thing I did. I had fashioned a cover with some elec tape a zip tie and an oil bottle cap. to hide that ugly plug,it looked good,been OK for 3 years. heck it protected the wires going into the plug.

So I take it in to the dealers this AM, the first thing they said was thats yer problem. they took it off took it for a ride, Didn't happen, Said that'll be 50 bucks. grrrr..I thought ,I dont think so but... ok. Hop on the bike fire it up, Service tech standing there, my hands were off the grips, Vrooom, put put,VROOOM. engine light back on. I said you saw that right,Its got a mind of its own. He said bring it back in. an hour and a half later, he comes out and says were gonna replace the 6 pin connector, I say OK hurry up its about to rain again,That shouldnt take long. 45 min later he comes out and says its still doing it, We got a Tech Tip fron HD about those pins and we're gonna change em to these newer silver ones, That should do it. another 45 min. later I see one of the tech's pulling back in on my bike from a test ride in the rain.He went right back to the lift. Tried to tell em I have a rain sock for the air filter. And what about that green plug thing?In the twistgrip that others have problems with? Im betting thats it.Well now its going on 4 hours and I see the bike on the lift, Fairing off,Theyre pulling wires through the bars the twistgrip off, I think OK now were getting somewhere. They finally send a guy out an he says they replaced the twister and plug unit,BUT... It still does it! We called HD and were going to replace the entire throttle body,We have one here and just need approval, It should be ready tomorrow.Can we give you a ride home? arrrgh! after 5 hours there I said OK. I hope that does finally fix it.. anyway at least its covered and only gonna cost the $50 deductable I paid in the first place. Hope y'all have better luck than I.
And you are pretty much on the same path I'm on with the exception that I had to pay for a new twist grip sensor and install it myself (my penance for the dealership not installing my bars). I am sure they are going to insist on following the same path as the techs at your dealership did (can't say I blame them checking everything to establish a baseline) only to end up replacing the throttle body here also. Guess we will see, the bike goes into the shop next Thursday.

Last edited by Inspector 12; 07-31-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:01 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a similar problem about a year ago, although rain had nothing to do with it. When I turned my handle bars (hands on the bars, not the grips) with the bike idling in neutral the engine would rev up like I had blipped the throttle slightly, maybe a couple of hundred rpms and the CEL would come on. I would receive codes P01510, 2125 and 2138.

Had it to the dealer a couple of times but problem remained. I finally started pulling and wiggling wires and wiring harnesses trying to force the issue. I found the harness from under the tank going into the fairing on the right side of the neck could be wiggled just so and would cause the engine to blip and CEL with the same codes being thrown. Just so happened that this bundle was for the TBW from the twist grip sensor.

I took it back to the dealer and showed the mechanic what I had found. He cut into the wiring harness and found broken wiring that was touching and working until the bars were turned. That caused the wiring harness to move slightly and the wire connection would open up and throw the codes. There was a cable clamp holding the harness to the frame and the wire moved enough times back and forth right at the clamp and the break the wires.

He cut out a section of wire (4 wires in the bundle, I think) and spliced new wire for all 4. Haven't had a problem with that again.

Last edited by smithbrl; 07-05-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:02 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior

Oh jeez wouldnt that be sick, gonna print your reply and show it to em.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior

Yea,smithbrl,I mentioned your post when I called the dealer this morning, Looks like they stuck it to HD for the thottlebody,Because now there is a butchered looking splice between the gooseneck and back of the fairing. Im taking it back in sometime next week and gonna raise some hell, I want to know just what they did and why they couldnt have slipped a peice of covering over it instead of some electric tape and zip ties. It looks like ****!They shoulda been up front with me about it. I hope they soldered the wires, Hell I'll get a piece of bicycle inner tube and slip it over that clusterfuk.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:22 AM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokey Stover
Yea,smithbrl,I mentioned your post when I called the dealer this morning, Looks like they stuck it to HD for the thottlebody,Because now there is a butchered looking splice between the gooseneck and back of the fairing. Im taking it back in sometime next week and gonna raise some hell, I want to know just what they did and why they couldnt have slipped a peice of covering over it instead of some electric tape and zip ties. It looks like ****!They shoulda been up front with me about it. I hope they soldered the wires, Hell I'll get a piece of bicycle inner tube and slip it over that clusterfuk.
I hope they make it look nice for you because, as you know, it's in a pretty visible location. They used some kind of rubber tape on mine. It looks good and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Main thing is getting it fixed.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior

Yea looks like they rushed it after replacing the TB, and not solving the problem. Because I was already on my way to pick it up. Now I want a new set of wires from plug A to plug B and a new sleeve over the whole mess. And I wonder what about the other wires run through there, Which one is gonna short out next?

Old 07-31-2013, 06:53 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Inspector 12
And you are pretty much on the same path I'm on with the exception that I had to pay for a new twist grip sensor and install it myself (my penance for the dealership not installing my bars). I am sure they are going to insist on following the same path as the techs at your dealership did (can't say I blame them checking everything to establish a baseline) only to end up replacing the throttle body here also. Guess we will see, the bike goes into the shop next Thursday.
Well they tried another throttle body and it didn't fix the problem. Now they are tracing the wiring and it is being a real pain from what I am hearing. I am sure they will find the problem, the tech working on it is thorough.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:38 AM
Kerr8005
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Reviving from the dead.... Any update on your bikes? I am having the same issue. Always seems to me when I am turning Right. Blips the throttle. I have changed the tgs, throttle body, HD dealer replaced the pins on the throttle body wiring harness. Still have it.

Quick Reply: ECM:P2138 TPS correlation error,after getting rained on