Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS: When your cell phone goes down

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:27 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts
Default GPS: When your cell phone goes down

I've never been a fan of owning a GSP since I have a smart phone. Heck, every smart phone has dozens of GPS to choose from. But what happens when your phone looses coverage?

I'm in Charlotte, NC and over the weekend, I rode to Winston Salem--a mere 1.5 hour ride each way. All on the highway, my Samsung G3 kept loosing coverage. Earlier today, I had absolutely no bars on my cell phone and couldn't access my data plan.

I called Sprint and was told that a few of the cell towers were down in North Carolina and is being worked on.

Later this month, I'm supposed to ride to my cousins house in St. Louis. After this weekend, I'm worried and wondering if I should bother using my cell phone or just bite the bullet and get a stand alone GPS.

GPS on a phone is great, until you loose coverage.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:43 PM
user_1534GD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kryingame
I've never been a fan of owning a GSP since I have a smart phone. Heck, every smart phone has dozens of GPS to choose from. But what happens when your phone looses coverage?

I'm in Charlotte, NC and over the weekend, I rode to Winston Salem--a mere 1.5 hour ride each way. All on the highway, my Samsung G3 kept loosing coverage. Earlier today, I had absolutely no bars on my cell phone and couldn't access my data plan.

I called Sprint and was told that a few of the cell towers were down in North Carolina and is being worked on.

Later this month, I'm supposed to ride to my cousins house in St. Louis. After this weekend, I'm worried and wondering if I should bother using my cell phone or just bite the bullet and get a stand alone GPS.

GPS on a phone is great, until you loose coverage.

LMFAO... YOU have some options, including; Get a Road Tech Zumo, open a map/atlas or CALL YOUR MOMMY (I forgot, YOU can't, no cell coverage)...

YOUR excuse$/rationalization$ continue to be laughable... Save your pennies for the real deal (and save your kryingame for Mommy)...

Last edited by user_1534GD; 07-02-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:57 PM
KSRoadKing
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't go with a Zumo just because they are too damn expensive. I'd buy a good quality gps and a RAM Mount to go with it. Zumo is made for motorcycles but they charge an arm and a leg for them.

Also, if you are using Google Maps on your phone, you can download an area to your sd card and it won't matter if you lose your data service, the map will be accessed from your sd card instead. You can't download huge areas at once but you can download several small areas. If you are planning any good road trips this is definitely NOT the way to go. You're better off with an actual gps.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Dangermouse
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My phone has a gps unit in it once you start a trip the gps keeps track of your position

Old 07-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Ultra103
Club Member
Received 1,047 Likes on 537 Posts

OK the first reply was mean and unnecessary but the second was right on the money. Download areas that are going to be scarce on towers during rest breaks. Google is truly your friend.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:23 PM
k-hook
Advanced

Always...always carry maps with you. AT&T, the nation's largest wireless carrier, is not. Here in Louisiana, we run out of coverage frequently. KSRoadKing is right, downloading to your SD is also a viable option.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

My zumo has never lost signal, and I have been in some pretty remote areas.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:30 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I still use paper maps and make my custom routes with a pencil there free .

I guess I am CHEAP ! eeerrr I Mean Thrifty !

I think I will try GPS as soon as I can get a free one.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:39 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Just find I-64 and go west.

Carl

Old 07-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Quik_Draw
Cruiser

At some point I take a look at a map to have a decent understanding of the general route. After that , we just ride and what happens, happens...we may turn around before we reach the original destination. We may get there and just keep going. We may end up somewhere else entirely...I like to leave the electronic leashes behind and just get on the road, see where we get to, experience what happens, as long as everybody goes home.

Be well, be safe...

Quick Reply: GPS: When your cell phone goes down