Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS: When your cell phone goes down

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 09:42 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I am sure there are plenty of people who aren't good with a map and depend on gps to navigate, but I don't know any of them personally.

I have no problems navigating with a map, but I very much prefer GPS. It is wrong to assume someone who likes gps isn't capable of navigating without it.

My zumo has never lost signal when above ground anywhere I have been, including eastern and western mountains. It will loose signal in an underground parking garage, but I can't think of any reason to need it or a map inside a parking garage.

I have no desire to have a smartphone. If I had a use for one, I'd probably be using it all I could as well.

Dennis

Old 07-02-2013, 10:00 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,652 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Samsung G3 has built in GPS, so it will use the satelites, not your cell phone tower bars. Though it does have problems with the GPS lock (knowing where it is).

However, the cell phone towers are generally used by your phone to establish the base map it shows on your screen. Some is held in the buffer, but if you stay out of tower range long enough, you'll go off the margins of the base map, and then it crashes.

Base map issues are solved by installing a base map onto your phone. Google doesn't do this well, but other navigation apps do. Pick what you like.

As for detecting the satelites, different units have different sensitivities or abilities to detect the satelites. Very generically, you tend to get what you pay for. A cheap little unit will not detect as well as a more expensive unit. So, cheapies are more prone to getting lost down in deep valleys and such.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Manninagh
Google & a lot of other cellphone navigation relies on cell coverage to work - the advantage being that they are cheaper. I don't want that dependence, so I use the TomTom app on my Iphone (others that work the same way are available, but I like TomTom).

It has ALL the mapping loaded on to the phone, and it doesn't care whether you have cell coverage or not. It works just like a standalone GPS. I have the UK version (obviously) and the US/Canada version and it has worked for me very well indeed.
Have you priced a non contract phone lately $500.00 + they are not cheaper, yes they do more than a stand alone gps , but still the people that say they are cheaper are not being truthful to themselves.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

For travel I much prefer a GPS over the cell phone, and always keep paper maps in the saddle bags. I have only once lost a GPS signal and then only for less than a mile. Cell coverage gets spotty when you're out in the back country. Out west of the Mississippi, cell coverage is really spotty away from civilization or major highways.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member
Veteran: Army
Received 7,175 Likes on 2,077 Posts

You don't need no stinkn' Zumo. I just got back from a trip to Phoenix and used a GPS unit on a bike for the first time. I used a Garmin I've had about 8 years. Suction cup to the windshield, safety line to the handlebar and a baggie in my pocket. I rode at night so it was easy to see. The power vision is handy for gauges and such.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:32 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by GliderDude
It is better to be a Live Dog than a dead lion... Ecc 9:4
Maybe you should rethink your signature line a wee bi then.
WE have become teck hostages in the last few years it would seem.I had a worse case scenario last week while riding through the Canadian Prairies my GPS went down, lost the signal and this was just North of Calgary Alberta where there was major flooding.
My map book was tucked into the tour pack and ready for deployment, but the rain and lack of shelter kept it there.
Anyways, to the OP print out your route either in Text form or in Map form .
My Boy Scout training comes in handy even 40 years later....
Rob

Old 07-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Manninagh
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill03E
Have you priced a non contract phone lately $500.00 + they are not cheaper, yes they do more than a stand alone gps , but still the people that say they are cheaper are not being truthful to themselves.
Fair point - in these islands hardly anyone has a phone that they pay retail for. Whether on pay-as-you-go or monthly billing most phones are heavily subsidised here. My Iphone 4s cost me £90 (say $140) up front, whereas my old standalone bike GPS cost £300 ($450). The TomTom apps cost another £50 each, so you're right - the cost difference gets minimal.

Also, if you are out of your area (so me in UK, US or Europe), then I sure as hell don't want to be roaming on data via someone else's network - I could end up with with a bill for $$$$$$$$$! Another point in favour of either your view or my choice on a phone... I like using my phone because I have only the one box for satnav, tunes and phone, so only one battery to charge.

The point I and others made to the OP is that IF you use your smartphone as your nav system, it's better to use one that does not rely on cell data connection to provide your mapping.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:39 AM
zdrifter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kryingame
YOu're right about the NC mountains. GPS won't really work up there. If anything, you need a container of gas instead of GPS because there's also not alot of gas stations out there. lol
Wife and I went thru the NC Mountains end of last year .. was foggy, drizzly rain and the GPS on our Nexus 7 worked great, and yeah not lots of gas around there.

While there are many non-contract smartphones at or above $500, the Nexus 4 is ~$300 and is a VG device.

Many of the devices and/or apps mentioned here require a cell phone data connection. Yes, you can DL portions of Google Maps to use when no connection is available, but they often don't provide enough coverage for a longer trip.

As an alternate consider an app called NavFree for your GPS enabled phone/tablet. It is indeed free, open source and the maps are quite good. You can limit the amount of memory space by selectively loading states rather than the whole US, And NO connections are required.

In the event you are a belt & suspenders person you can also do your routing on Google Maps at home on your PC and then DL the PDF print of that to your phone/tablet. Carrying a paper map could be good but the electronic stuff is just so handy.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:54 PM
user_1534GD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... and several other posts similar...

...Not to mention all the added complexities... Hey, to each his own... Just saying since you asked...

Old 07-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

What an absurd, and over-generalized statement that folks who believe it is cheaper to use a smartphone for GPS "aren't being truthful with themselves."

Consider the concept of value. I mount my iphone 4 on a handlebar mount and use it as my primary music source with 2K songs. I also use it as my trip camera for the times when a quick snapshot is worth taking, even under way and conditions are safe. Ditto checking email from friends and family. Plus there are a ton of useful free or modestly priced apps.

When I bought my iPhone 4 under a two-year contract and saw all of the features, including GPS, I thought GPS devices would be dead in a matter of years. I'd love to know how many Garmin Zumo GPS units are being sold generally and by HD specifically.

FWIW, in my case I live in Metro Atlanta and ride in areas with excellent cell coverage. When I travel to visit family, it's to coastal VA, St. Louis area, and central FL--no probles with cell coverage.

Before the phone, I bought a Garmin 1450 clone from a Hong Kong vendor on ebay and it worked great and still does. If I travel and have concerns about route, I'll put it in the saddlebag.

To conclude, for me, the iPhone 4 offers great value for my uses.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 07-02-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Quick Reply: GPS: When your cell phone goes down