Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Turn Signal Trim Rings...help w/reinstall/removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:12 PM
ShockwaveTXB
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Turn Signal Trim Rings...help w/reinstall/removal

So I just ordered a set of the smoked lenses for my front and rear pancake style turn signals. In preparation for their arrival, I've removed the rear and front lenses. The rears came off with no problem since they had no trim rings involved.

But HOLY HELL the fronts are a complete pain!

I ended up cracking both the lenses in getting the rings off. I tried to put them back on and managed to snap them in place without screwing them back on the bike. I just snapped the lenses back in the rings while holding them in my hands. Then I tried again to remove the ring. Just couldn't do it without destroying the original lenses to bits.

So now when the new smoked lenses come I'm almost afraid to put these things on. I read the instructions on Harley's website and how they are so "easy to install..."

Maybe easy to install, but friggin impossible to remove.

IS there a trick I'm missing? What do you do when a bulb goes bad and needs replaced if you have these rings on?

I'm really hesitant to even attempt putting them back on because I don't want to bust the new lenses once they arrive.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:19 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used a large screwdriver in the slot of the trim ring. Twist the screwdriver to open the ring as far as possible and then pull it off (one side at a time). This has worked several times and I have not broke a lens yet!