Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 02:54 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by bone57
This is my first post here lets see how it goes. Bought my SG, 4-4-13. Traded in my Yami Roadstar................not getting the feeling that it was a good trade. When I first picked it up, it quit on me on the way home. Had to have it towed home, dealer came and got it the next morning and replaced everything in the fuel tank. They don't know to this day what exactly was wrong just wasn't getting the correct fuel pressure. It then started having this intermittent starting problem. Turn the ignition switch, wait for it to go through it's diagnostics, hit the button and nothing but a small clicking sound. Harley was nice enough to give me my 1000 mile service free for my initial problem. Told them about the starting issue, they could not find anything and of course it wouldn't do it for them. That was around the first of this month. It has done the non starting problem 3 times since. Always after work after it sat for 10 hrs covered up. The last two time I found that holding the button down and rotating the switch ever so slightly it makes contact and fires up. To me this says the problem is in the switch. Talked to Harley yesterday, unless it will do this for them they won't/can't do anything to help. They want me to leave it with them for a period of time, maybe one of there techs riding it home or so to see if it will do it for them. Don't care for the idea of having somebody riding it. I don't give a damn who they are. Besides I doubt they could get it to do it. I asked them does it need to fail me and leave me stranded somewhere in order for them to fix it. Their reply was, "well we hope it doesn't do that". Leaving this Monday for a 1000 mile rode trip into the White Mountains of AZ. and not feeling very confident. I do like this bike, handles much better than my Roadstar but............Roadstar never left me stranded.
if i was you, i would purchase the 29.95 additional road side service available through HOG from road america. It will be useful if your bike strands you, i just had a $750 tow experience that you should learn from, my bike was a 12 model and i never expected it to strand me.......

Old 06-30-2013, 03:02 PM
bone57
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Already got it, thanks.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:13 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st 96 ultra
sounds like the switch but depending on how much you are wiggling the switch you may be turning the relay on and off till it catches......
Very true - there is an awful lot of electrical stuff down-line from the ignition switch - could be any one of a number of things causing the problem.

Next time it does it, wait for a few moments and then study what works on the bike, before trying to restart it. There may be a clue or two if something isn't working, then does when the bike starts. You are in a much better place to study and diagnose this than a mechanic. You need to try to out-smart the problem!

Old 06-30-2013, 03:32 PM
tbone108
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the bike is new I would use it as much as you can and when it won't start next time get the shop to take it back and keep it for a week or so. Get them to give you a loan bike. I wonder if it could be how its been uncrated, is there a loose connection. Tech guys put me wright ?.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:44 PM
tbone108
Outstanding HDF Member

bone57
Forgot to say you need to get over the fact that a tech is riding you bike, give them a chance to fix the problem. They ride bikes all the time, it's had the oil and filter you say at 1000 miles the bike should take the speed limits. You have to put some trust in the guys who are working on the bikes. How would you feel if you were not trusted to do your job, Just saying not trying to rub you up.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:51 PM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It isn't just Harley. My ex's second V-star wasn't 5 miles from the dealer where she just took new delivery when the oil pressure light came on. Had several intermittent problems. long story short, it took 4 trips to the dealer before someone realized that there was a wire under the dash that wasn't crimped and was causing random electrical issues. After having the service manager note there wasn't a scratch on it, I finally told him to keep it until it was fixed.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:59 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

I bought a secondhand bike a few years ago, which looked fine but had had several owners, at roughly yearly intervals. I ignored that as it looked and rode well and was what I wanted. It didn't take long to discover an intermittent electrical fault and I enlisted the help of a biking friend who is a telephone engineer and accustomed to chasing faults. It took us several hours to find a faulty connection, buried in the bowels of the bike, despite his skills. I don't think it could be found any other way than spending all that time.

A dealer isn't going to do that! They probably don't have the same skills and certainly not the spare time. I also suspect the bike had that fault from the factory (not Harley), which is why it had changed hands so often.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:30 PM
bone57
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All pts. well taken. Guess I'm just a little frustrated, for the cost of this bike I was thinking perfection. Silly me. I do believe that after this trip they can have it till they find it. Thanks for all the replies.
I did post this in the tech section, will continue watching.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:33 PM
grbrown
Club Member

You have every right to be frustrated, especially if it is new. Best of luck on your trip and getting things sorted on your return.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:42 PM
tbone108
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bone57
All pts. well taken. Guess I'm just a little frustrated, for the cost of this bike I was thinking perfection. Silly me. I do believe that after this trip they can have it till they find it. Thanks for all the replies.
I did post this in the tech section, will continue watching.
Yes I would be pissed off with the bike but there is more than one way to sort things and it's better to stay cool. You will get better looked after if you don't go in with your 10 shooter lol. Good luck I am sure it will come good for you.