Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHXK Street Glide Ultra Limited and the Value of Take Off Parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 12:42 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default FLHXK Street Glide Ultra Limited and the Value of Take Off Parts

Sold my Dyna last month, started out with a bone stock Super Glide Custom and transformed it into a FXDFC Super Fat Glide Custom (a model that doesn't exist) and ended up with a pretty unique looking Super Glide. Photo below is the final incarnation other than the flyscreen that wasn't on yet, full details here if anyone's interested in reading.

Great bike but was lacking in few areas (for me) so I went ahead and sold it not really knowing what I'd replace it with. Considered an FJR, Concours, BMW, Goldwing and either a Street Glide or Road Glide. A couple weeks ago I went looking, stopped to see (not ride) the FJR and Concours, also stopped and test road first a RGC then a SG - didn't even make it out of the lot before thinking this (SG) feels just like home. So I've been poking around the touring forum for a bit now, reading, learning and deciding what I'd do to make a SG mine. Well, I'd be hard pressed to make a SG as unique as my Dyna was but I thought oh well.......it would be nice but not mandatory, the SG is still a great bike even if there would be thousands of black SG's just like it.

Then I went by another shop today to gauge seat and ride heights of the other touring models compared to the SG, even bought a stock Ultra take off seat from a guy which I would send off to MCC. Back to the shop visit - looked at and sat on SG, EGC and Ultra Ltd and no major difference for me, can flat foot any of them but then I got to looking at the Ltd in vivid black and wow......sure is pretty, if only it had less junk hanging off it. Then as I was walking out, I see another one just like it over in the used corner only it's got a 6" smoked wind splitter on it and I think that did it for me.......now I want the Ltd and strip all the junk off, add SG/CVO fenders, detachable TP and a SG seat to have it both ways. I really liked the black with silver pinstripe, and that you can still remove the tank badge.

With a SG I'd have changed both front and rear fenders anyway, that's a wash, same for the wheels, I would have put on Agitators over the stock wheels. Ditch the 12" shocks, add backrest/rack, saddlebag guards, passenger boards, etc. Plus the Ltd already has the gauges I want, passenger boards and no streamliner boards up front, touring seat I'd have added, great paint scheme and more.

This isn't so much of a should I get one of the other, I think I know the answer to that but what I'm wondering is this......Would the LTD parts I would remove have greater value than the same SG parts. I mean, If I bought the SG, I'd ditch the stock rear fender anyway in favor of the 2009 3 light setup (with BAL lamp) and same goes for the front fender, replace that with a CVO SG fender so on a Ltd, that would remove much of the bling and clean things up. Same goes for the passing lamps/signals up front - replace them with SG signals. Now, I've got another model that doesn't exist - a 2013/14 FLHXK Street Glide Ultra Limited, not like I'm the first to think of doing it but it would be a lot less common than a Vivid Black SG and will be set up to do it all, cruise, tour, day or weekend trips. All tolled, from what I'd have done to a SG, I figure I'd not spend at least $1800 by getting a Ltd since it already has that stuff, only down side is I'm stuck with ABS that I don't really care for.

Lastly, what are the odds of my getting a dealer to swap out the Ltd chrome wheels in place of Contrast cut 18/19" Agitators? I figure that to me, its roughly $2000 and hope to sell the stock wheels/tires for I don't know what to recoup some of the cost (always hard due to shipping costs) whereas to the dealer, their cash outlay (at dealer cost) is minimal at best and they can resell the stock parts either whole or separately as basically new parts because, well.........they are new. The rest of the stuff would be easy enough to move since it doesn't weigh a ton.

So what do you call think the following would be worth, new to near new take offs:
Ltd Complete rear fender assembly with lights, etc
Ltd Complete front fender with light, etc
Ltd complete front passing/turn signal assy

Oh, and if you remove the Accord tail lights and antennas on the Ltd TP will it leave holes or marks?

Old 06-30-2013, 02:35 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

take offs have the highest value to someone fixing a wrecked bike...to stock condition ( and this is when some take a custom leap, a custom or aftermarket part may be 1/2 the cost, with a more desired result)

but the value of a fender is vs repairing paint damage- so probably not as much as you would want.

the stuff mounted on the tourpak would leave holes if removed.

we see take offs priced all over the place- if priced right they sell. sometimes stock wheels sell only because the new owner wants the tires...so value at $300 if the rubber is new and the bearings make for an easy swap ( abs/no)

abs is invaluable- it can shorten stopping distance for most riders, help with traction control on dry, loose or wet surfaces.

If you want to do alot of swapping stuff around, the FLHTC is a good base model, you can add or delete parts perhaps at a lower total cost.
act soon, the FLHTC is going away

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-30-2013 at 02:51 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:05 AM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

go to a swap meet. hundreds of bagger take offs for sale. I would not plan on makeing a whole lot of money.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:29 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What MK said. Take off parts are all over out there and they are cheap. They may be new to you but to someone else they are just used parts, dont expect a fortune for them. When you remove the lights/antennas from the TP it leaves mounting holes. If you have all these ideas swimming around in your head and a pocket full of money burning a hole in your pocket, why dont you find a salvage bike and create you own model instead of molesting a low mileage Limited off the showroom floor (such a shame, lol) There are tons of salvage bikes out there that died before their time that can be had for little $$$ and you have a clean slate, they just want another chance at being in the wind again, common man give em a chance..

Old 06-30-2013, 07:03 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a "limited" because I was tired of swapping adding and taking away parts and they come with damn near everything.If you're into allot of customizing I think you might be happier with a Street Glide or a Classic.Or if you're not counting on making money off your take-offs then go ahead and get the "limited" and do what you want with it.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:29 AM
TMOUT
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I went the Limited route, and I'm glad I did. Basically have a " Street Limited" now. But for what you're gonna get for them, I would suggest hanging on to your take off parts in case you decide to make a change later, that way if you ever get the urge to change it up again, you can put back some of the "Bling".

Old 06-30-2013, 08:54 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by p51bombay

(1) only down side is I'm stuck with ABS that I don't really care for.

(2) Lastly, what are the odds of my getting a dealer to swap out the Ltd chrome wheels in place of Contrast cut 18/19" Agitators? I figure that to me, its roughly $2000 and hope to sell the stock wheels/tires for I don't know what to recoup some of the cost (always hard due to shipping costs) whereas to the dealer, their cash outlay (at dealer cost) is minimal at best and they can resell the stock parts either whole or separately as basically new parts because, well.........they are new. The rest of the stuff would be easy enough to move since it doesn't weigh a ton.

(3) So what do you call think the following would be worth, new to near new take offs:
Ltd Complete rear fender assembly with lights, etc
Ltd Complete front fender with light, etc
Ltd complete front passing/turn signal assy

Oh, and if you remove the Accord tail lights and antennas on the Ltd TP will it leave holes or marks?
(1) I wouldn't do it but I think you can pull the fuse on the ABS to disable it.

(2) I doubt if a dealer will give you anything for your stock tires and rims, they can not sell them for "NEW" they are not "new parts" they are "take off parts" and a dealer doesn't want the reputation of selling used parts for new.
"Contrast cut 18/19" Agitators plus tires and bearing" will cost a lot more than $2,000.

(3) You'd have to sell those on eBay or here in the classifieds for some one fixing a wreck, with the same color bike. So it will happen, just good luck getting what you think they are worth.

I do like the idea of what you are doing:
A Limited with a CVO Street Glide rear fender and loosing the front bumpers and towel bar auxiliary lights. With a detachable Tour Pak and two seats.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:23 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had a customer looking at putting agitators on a FLHX. All said and done it was much closer to 3000 than 2. The dealer will most likely not give you any kind if credit or anything for the stock wheels. You should be able to sell them pretty easily since they are the chrome 28 knuckle wheels. With the agitator wheels you also have to do the front rotors.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:25 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks all, not so much looking to "MAKE" money on take off parts - rather I'd be happy to get anough to cover most of the cost of swapping fenders......surely a front/rear Ltd fender should be worth $4-500 each. The would cover the cost of doing the front for sure, probably the rear as well if I wasn't putting a BAL lamp on there but oh well. It's funny because I had a new, unopened BAL1 for the Dyna that I sold.....thinking I wouldn't need it, should have kept it but gives me a reason to get the really bright version. LOL Since I'm not buying right away, I've got time to look for deals on parts, already started in fact, found a 2009 SG fender and fascia on CL, brand new, still in the box in vivid black $195 shipped Now if I can get lucky on a CVO front I'll be laughing.