Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S quickee rod tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 08:56 PM
JohnSWA
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default S&S quickee rod tubes?

I've just installed my 510 gear drive cams which was a piece of cake for this first timer, but after installing the quickee rods and tubes, I can't get the the tubes to stay fastened to save my life! The kit came with a load of O rings and I only replaced the two o rings top and bottom but after adjusting the rods I can't get the top part of the tube to stay in place! It seems like the lock clip is about an inch short to keep the upper half of the tube locked in place! I would really appreciate some advice on this. My bike has been idle for 3 weeks and it's killing me!

Old 06-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Tired
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,813 Likes on 1,760 Posts

Weird. I've never had a problem with them. Doesn't mean you couldn't have got a messed up set though.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:06 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The s&s kit comes with everything you need. And, you need everything in the kit. Your old keepers will not work. You must use all the parts in the kit. I'm not sure exactly where you went wrong, but if it's an inch short, you need to make sure you haven't mixed some parts up....

Old 06-29-2013, 09:18 PM
JohnSWA
Road Captain

I haven't mixed any parts up! Honestly, I only used the o-rings on top and bottom. There's o-rings left over in the kit and I haven't a clue where they should go and the S&S instructions left a lot to be desired. I'm not Knocking S&S, they are an awesome company.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:28 PM
JohnSWA
Road Captain

I think I just figured out the problem. The top chrome part of the tube didn't come with the kit! I thought it looked funny with the inner tube being exposed at the top as I was trying to lock that in place with the keeper!

Old 06-29-2013, 09:33 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The top isn't chrome. The retainer covers the aluminum tube. The other orings go inside the assembled tubes to keep them from leaking. You've got something terribly wrong.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:36 PM
JohnSWA
Road Captain

OK, now I'm confused. I checked the kit on line and I got everything in it! Am I supposed to use the original top piece of the old push rod tube with the new keeper?

Old 06-29-2013, 09:38 PM
JohnSWA
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
The top isn't chrome. The retainer covers the aluminum tube. The other orings go inside the assembled tubes to keep them from leaking. You've got something terribly wrong.
Ok, that makes alot of sense. Nothing's terribly wrong, I just didn't install the o-rings inside the tubes, just at the upper and bottom end. Thanks for your help!

Old 06-29-2013, 09:45 PM
JohnSWA
Road Captain

I'm still confused, but I'l figure it out. I wish there was an illustrated parts break down of the tube assembly. That would make this a no brainer! I'm cracking up that the gear cams went in so well, but I'm lost on the rod tube!

Old 06-29-2013, 09:45 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Glad you figured it out. The S&S quickies are awesome pushrods.

Quick Reply: S&S quickee rod tubes?