Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S quickee rod tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 09:49 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Glad you figured it out. The S&S quickies are awesome pushrods.
Until you discover that they are rubbing the tubes and making noise.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:52 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JohnSWA
I'm still confused, but I'l figure it out. I wish there was an illustrated parts break down of the tube assembly. That would make this a no brainer! I'm cracking up that the gear cams went in so well, but I'm lost on the rod tube!
The tubes assemble with the upper inside the lower, 1 oring, 1 flat washer, 1 spring, and then the chrome cup that covers all of that. If you find that the clip is an inch too short, you either have an incorrect clip, or you are using an incorrect lower tube.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:54 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
That doesn't happen to everyone though. Just the lucky ones!

Old 06-29-2013, 09:56 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

That doesn't happen to everyone though. Just the lucky ones!
Well call me a lucky sob then! There is a link that shows how to open the tubes up with a drill bit and die grinder. I gave up and went with se tapered. No problems since...

Old 06-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Glad you got the noise problem whipped. I think mine are fine, but I can't hear **** anyway.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:02 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

Glad you got the noise problem whipped. I think mine are fine, but I can't hear **** anyway.
Only one of mine was rubbing. Front exhaust, which is typical. That one has the steepest angle. I hated to take them out, they look like good sturdy parts, but I wasn't willing to spend hours hacking up perfectly good pushrod tubes to make them work.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:04 PM
JohnSWA
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I actually didn't figure it out yet as I can't figure out where the o-rings go inside the tube. I'll figure it out eventually or maybe somebody here can help me out as I'm sure somebody remembers how the tube is installed. I hate sounding like an idiot as I'm quite mechanically inclined. I've been an aircraft mechanic for nearly 30 years. I just have to laugh at myself on this one.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Only one of mine was rubbing. Front exhaust, which is typical. That one has the steepest angle. I hated to take them out, they look like good sturdy parts, but I wasn't willing to spend hours hacking up perfectly good pushrod tubes to make them work.
I hear ya. I just installed Gatermans and should have looked at the front exhaust for any rubbing. If it was to be rubbing, is it at the top?

Old 06-29-2013, 10:05 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JohnSWA
I actually didn't figure it out yet as I can't figure out where the o-rings go inside the tube. I'll figure it out eventually or maybe somebody here can help me out as I'm sure somebody remembers how the tube is installed. I hate sounding like an idiot as I'm quite mechanically inclined. I've been an aircraft mechanic for nearly 30 years. I just have to laugh at myself on this one.
I posted the assembly a few posts above. it all makes sense once you get it apart.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:07 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

I hear ya. I just installed Gatermans and should have looked at the front exhaust for any rubbing. If it was to be rubbing, is it at the top?
If it's minor, yes, at the top. If it's major, I've seen pics of some that rubbed at the bottom. Drop the tubes down and look for witness marks on the rods. The soft aluminum tubes will 'shine' the machined rods if they are rubbing.

Quick Reply: S&S quickee rod tubes?