Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD paint price is ridiculous

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 02:02 PM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by scj
No, usually less than 28 days for painted parts. My lowers showed up in less than two weeks but my inner went on back order just after I ordered it.
Just ordered from Lake Shore HD....I'm super excited. Its the one thing I don't see a lot here in Fay, NC---its slowly making its way here....but I will be one of few with it....and definitely will stand out with the ember red sunglow, considering black seems to be THE color of choice here.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:32 PM
vegashd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
You just never know about painted parts. I bought a Chopped Tour Pak from New Castle and it was sitting on my door step in 21 days.
If MOCO is painting your color when the order is placed then it gets painted and shipped right away. lucky when you have a more common color to like Vivid black. it gets painted almost daily.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

I just painted some PPG Vibrance Series Key Lime over my vivid black. Two part paint plus clear coat. The two ONE PINT cans of this PPG were over $200 each. Paint aint cheap and ask anyone who does custom paint. it's a very time consuming process to mask etc.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:34 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

On the subject of the cost of paint, you have obviously never visited a paint supplier! They are available for a great deal more than you quoted, for some of the fabulous custom finishes available. I don't believe Harley paint is expensive, just that buying a can of it gives us more than is needed for a given small job.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:35 PM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like I need to do some smart shopping, and comparison, Paint versus HG MoCo Order, before I commit, but the painted inner fairing totally completes the bike, and bonus is you get to admire it every ride.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
You just never know about painted parts. I bought a Chopped Tour Pak from New Castle and it was sitting on my door step in 21 days.
Originally Posted by vegashd
If MOCO is painting your color when the order is placed then it gets painted and shipped right away. lucky when you have a more common color to like Vivid black. it gets painted almost daily.
That was a "Dark Blue Pearl" Tour Pak for my 2009. At my door in 21 days.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:24 PM
vegashd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scj
No, usually less than 28 days for painted parts. My lowers showed up in less than two weeks but my inner went on back order just after I ordered it.
no jack wagon.... Hd will tell you up to 12 weeks for some colors.

So let me get this straight... your lowers showed up in less then two weeks but your inner was on backorder... no, it was not painted yet. They are painted to order when that color is run. The lowers are run or extras at times. not an inner fairing. they have 30 of a color they are doing, they paint 30. it was simply NOT PAINTED YET and taking the normal time. Like I said, some colors and parts will show up quicker then others. There is no set time. Vivd black usually ships within a week.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:33 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

PPG can supply HD paint for everything except Custom Colors or CVO colors. HD sells sprayable paint in one qt. quantities; way more than most jobs like an inner fairing requires.

And local PPG distributor or paint shop with a PPG mixing station can mix HD colors in a quantity suitable for the job.

Also, buying HD paint is no guarantee of a color match; the painter still has to apply the paint with a gun, gun pressure, coats, etc.

Any good painter can use PPG's product, shoot some spray outs to be sure of the color match, and shoot the inner fairing or whatever else you brought him.

TFB gives a good example of the math. Tri--coats, i.e. sunglos and pearls, will always be more expensive than a single base and clear job, e.g. vivid black.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 06-30-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:00 PM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by vegashd
no jack wagon.... Hd will tell you up to 12 weeks for some colors.

So let me get this straight... your lowers showed up in less then two weeks but your inner was on backorder... no, it was not painted yet. They are painted to order when that color is run. The lowers are run or extras at times. not an inner fairing. they have 30 of a color they are doing, they paint 30. it was simply NOT PAINTED YET and taking the normal time. Like I said, some colors and parts will show up quicker then others. There is no set time. Vivd black usually ships within a week.
Name calling, great! Are you twelve?

I think I know what happened with my stuff.
The inner fairing (the plastic piece) was back ordered. It had nothing to do with the paint process. The primer is applied at one facility and the paint is applied at another place (at least it was for the candy orange). The dealer tracked it every step of the way for me and kept me up to speed.
I agree they paint several of a certain type on given runs but that is not always the case.

I've bought several painted Harley parts over the last ten years and the last 4 I've bought had 28 day lead times. The RG inner fairing was the first that did not get to me before the 28 days. That's "my" experience.

And btw, the next time you have your tank off, look underneath for the paint code.............

Last edited by scj; 06-30-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:27 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by scj
Name calling, great! Are you twelve?

I think I know what happened with my stuff.
The inner fairing (the plastic piece) was back ordered. It had nothing to do with the paint process. The primer is applied at one facility and the paint is applied at another place (at least it was for the candy orange). The dealer tracked it every step of the way for me and kept me up to speed.
I agree they paint several of a certain type on given runs but that is not always the case.

I've bought several painted Harley parts over the last ten years and the last 4 I've bought had 28 day lead times. The RG inner fairing was the first that did not get to me before the 28 days. That's "my" experience.

And btw, the next time you have your tank off, look underneath for the paint code.............
What I love scj, is that you didn't "go there" with him. That is commendable. I had to go back and read to try to figure out where you earned this name. I don't get it, but this is what happens on social websites...not so much face to face. I expect these sort of comments to come from 20 something year olds, but have come to the realization that it actually comes from ppl older than me (41)....in some cases, much older than me. But thanks for your feedback in this thread. Whether it takes 28 days or 6 weeks....it's all good. But I hooooooope it's 28 days so I can revive this thread...just for the sake of showing your experience could happen to me too.

Quick Reply: HD paint price is ridiculous