Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Lower Vent Doors

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 03:46 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Removing Lower Vent Doors

I made a last minute decision to remove my lower vent doors this morning before a ride. I thought it would be a good time to test the difference in having them open or completely removed. I removed the nut in the glovebox and pulled the bolt out from the bottom. After that I tried to get them out every way possible. Opened, closed, wiggle left, wiggle right... nothing seemed to work. It was like I had them 90% out, but could not get them to come the rest of the way. They seem to be hanging on something. I finally gave up and bolted them back in. I admit I was kind of impatient and just wanted to get going.

Is there something I need to do in addition to removing the bolt? Do I need to remove the top lower fairing cap/mount? Maybe the secret is just a little more patience.

Any input would be appreciated.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:38 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Wish I could help but I'm in the same boat. Subscribed.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:28 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenGlide
I made a last minute decision to remove my lower vent doors this morning before a ride. I thought it would be a good time to test the difference in having them open or completely removed. I removed the nut in the glovebox and pulled the bolt out from the bottom. After that I tried to get them out every way possible. Opened, closed, wiggle left, wiggle right... nothing seemed to work. It was like I had them 90% out, but could not get them to come the rest of the way. They seem to be hanging on something. I finally gave up and bolted them back in. I admit I was kind of impatient and just wanted to get going.

Is there something I need to do in addition to removing the bolt? Do I need to remove the top lower fairing cap/mount? Maybe the secret is just a little more patience.

Any input would be appreciated.
Remove the cap on the backside of the lowers, there are three screws to loosen and then you can wiggle the vents out

Old 06-29-2013, 06:39 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master

Originally Posted by Streetglide Walt
Remove the cap on the backside of the lowers, there are three screws to loosen and then you can wiggle the vents out
Thank you.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:51 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

...Any input would be appreciated.
I broke a vent when a piece of tire was kicked up in front of me and went through the vent.

The vent has a slot most of the way across the top that rides in a tab on the lower.

I found it easier to remove the front upper section of the lower, the glove box, and the rest of the lower to safely remove the vent.

Once the lower is removed, you'll see how the vent is attached and how easy it is to damage/break its top piece. Be careful and it will come out.

FWIW, I rode around for a few days without the vent and noticed how much turbulence its removal makes. The vent just seems to direct the air more efficiently when it's in place.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:33 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
I broke a vent when a piece of tire was kicked up in front of me and went through the vent.

The vent has a slot most of the way across the top that rides in a tab on the lower.

I found it easier to remove the front upper section of the lower, the glove box, and the rest of the lower to safely remove the vent.

Once the lower is removed, you'll see how the vent is attached and how easy it is to damage/break its top piece. Be careful and it will come out.

FWIW, I rode around for a few days without the vent and noticed how much turbulence its removal makes. The vent just seems to direct the air more efficiently when it's in place.
Thanks, this is good info. My whole point in removing them was to increase airflow and hopefully reduce the amount of heat rising from the engine. I had not considered that it kick up more hot air to the rider.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:13 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, this is good info. My whole point in removing them was to increase airflow and hopefully reduce the amount of heat rising from the engine. I had not considered that it kick up more hot air to the rider.
It doesn't. 3 ultras, 12 years, no vent doors. If I bought a new ultra tomorrow, I'd take the vent doors out as soon as I got home.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:14 PM
BigDave75
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the lower fairing quick release and just pull the whole fairing when it's hot!

Old 06-29-2013, 11:37 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,350 Likes on 2,531 Posts

i take the vent doors out of my lowers here in la in the summer heat as well. just to expand on what pinetree said, there are 3 torx screws that hold the glovebox compartment on the to lowers that you can see once you take the top cap off. one of them is partially blocked by the crash bar, but you can move the lower out of the way to remove that without taking the bottom mount off.

i really don't like completely removing the lowers because i like the way they channel the wind, but even with the vents completely open, they still block a lot of air. i figure this is a best compromise

Old 06-30-2013, 05:44 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigDave75
I installed the lower fairing quick release and just pull the whole fairing when it's hot!
What he said and way more effective.

Quick Reply: Removing Lower Vent Doors