Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn a Classic into a classic

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 01:55 AM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Should have the Hog back this afternoon, the suspense is killing me!

Old 09-18-2010, 04:52 AM
bpav16
Road Master
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley2534
Whiskers were did you get that fringe at? Looks good. Can anyone tell me also were to look for some front axle nuts besides the HD catalog.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...0384-00-a.html
I have some for twin rails for sale here...I just got rid of the rails on mine because with my Cavalry bags with the lines on the side of the bags, it was just too much for the eye

Old 09-18-2010, 09:09 AM
2>4
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmcollison
1 1/2" both front and rear. I think most would say that it's a good idea to maintain the ride height, but then again, everyone's got an opinion. When I had my Heritage Springer I lowered front and rear, starting with Progressive lowering for the rear and later going to an air ride (sometimes I slammed that thing down to the earth...not much for riding but a heck of a good look) but then after my air ride blew up I just put stockers back on the rear. In essence, I was lowered almost 2" in the front with the rear at stock height and didn't have any problems. I had the Road King lowered before I ever took delivery so I can't attest to any "difference". I've done plenty of 2-up riding (although I do my best to impose a gross tonnage law where my passengers are concerned) and have had no difficulties.

If I were to do anything different than the stock laced wheels, I'd probably go with a radial lace, something like a Ride Wright Fat Daddy 50-spoke. I had them on my Heritage Springer and LOVED them!!!
Wow, I didn't realize that your bike was lowered that much. It looks very nice. Do you know how much travel the stock shocks have? How did you lower your RKC, new shocks or lowering brackets? Also, I do like those Ride Wrights too. I was thinking of running rims instead of spokes so it would be easier to repair a flat on the side of the road. I have heard of some spoked wheels running tubeless tires though.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:30 AM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2>4
I have heard of some spoked wheels running tubeless tires though.
Ride Wright's Fat Daddy wheels can run tubeless, they also make regular size spoke wheels, but not sure if they run tubless.

I think Sucker Punch Sally's used a cast wheel that looks just like spokes, it was pretty sweet too. Don't remember if it was in house built or not. It's on the cover of one of last year's American Iron issues.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:51 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member

Got her back! man, looks great, what a difference new bars make. I had the front end chromed, chrome brake calipers, all Diamondback braided lines, chrome SE Fat Bars, chrome controls, Nostalgic grips, old school round mirrors and a Heritage Springer fender lamp added, did I forget anything? More pics in my album. And SE fork oil.

Got a video too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a46aFWHmMoc

Attached Thumbnails  Turn a Classic into a classic-leftfrontend-2-.jpg    Turn a Classic into a classic-rside.jpg    Turn a Classic into a classic-front.jpg    Turn a Classic into a classic-frontright.jpg  

Last edited by El Rey; 09-18-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:47 AM
2>4
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That there is a great looking bike El Rey. The front fender lamp is pretty sweet, I could not find it in the HD catalog. Do they still make them?

Old 09-19-2010, 10:04 AM
Hot
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks real good, El Rey !!

Rod

Old 09-19-2010, 11:14 AM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2>4
That there is a great looking bike El Rey. The front fender lamp is pretty sweet, I could not find it in the HD catalog. Do they still make them?
Thanks man! It's the fender lamp from the 97-03 Heritage Springer, or 05-07 Springer Classic. You may have to order the nuts to mount it, as i dodn't think they came with the lamp assembly.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:04 AM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Loved the video! NOW, when are you going to spring for a lay-down license bracket? Also, I put the shorter rear turn signal bar on mine. I think it makes the rear end look less bulky.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:07 AM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2>4
Wow, I didn't realize that your bike was lowered that much. It looks very nice. Do you know how much travel the stock shocks have? How did you lower your RKC, new shocks or lowering brackets? Also, I do like those Ride Wrights too. I was thinking of running rims instead of spokes so it would be easier to repair a flat on the side of the road. I have heard of some spoked wheels running tubeless tires though.
Sorry, I can't tell you what the rear travel is. I did use the HD short shocks on the rear and the HD lowering kit on the front.

Quick Reply: Turn a Classic into a classic