Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn a Classic into a classic

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 02:32 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Copied and pasted my own quote from another thread I had replied on, but this may help anyone trying to go a retro route.

The roots of the Road King is the Electra Glide, no matter how you slice it. The frame up until 2009 was based on the most current FLT swing-arm frame that started in 1980.

The Bat Wing fairing did not appear in the '70's, but three years earlier in 1967.

As far as looks are concerned; The style of hard bags you see today are direct descendants of the fiber glass bags that appeared in 1963. They have gone through a few styling and production changes, but are essentially the same.

You can look at an FL from the mid 1950's and see literally the very same styling today in the Road King Classics. The FL bikes changed very little over the years appearence wise, with the exception of hard bags and the Bat Wing.

With 1965 being the first year of the Electra Glide, you have the basis for all future incarations of the Electra Glide, I.E.; FLHS (sport) Road King, etc...

Take a look at your floor boards, the D shape florboard has been in use since 1966! The first year of the Shovelhead FL's used those, before that it was the Half Moons since 1940, with minor changes.

The Road Kings are versatile bikes, if you want retro, you can easily change the look to any era of the Glide style FL as a lot of Assc. parts are still being made. Take the Nostalgic Saddle bag guards, they first appeared in 1964. The nostalgic fender rails you can get for front or rear actually have been around since 1968. Although the same ones you can buy for a Softail are the same ones that were available on FL's prior to '68.

Hope this helps in the P&A department for looks...

Old 09-12-2010, 03:44 PM
pwp
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by drspencer
Nice bike. Are those the stock handlebars?
I'm sorry, but I don't even know if my handlebars are stock or not... I bought this bike used, and these were the bars that were on it. Whatever they are, they were *exactly* a perfect fit for me -- reach, height & comfort -- so I have no need to mess with 'em!! (And thank you for the compliment!)

Old 09-12-2010, 05:43 PM
bpav16
Road Master
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by El Rey
Copied and pasted my own quote from another thread I had replied on, but this may help anyone trying to go a retro route.

The roots of the Road King is the Electra Glide, no matter how you slice it. The frame up until 2009 was based on the most current FLT swing-arm frame that started in 1980.

The Bat Wing fairing did not appear in the '70's, but three years earlier in 1967.

As far as looks are concerned; The style of hard bags you see today are direct descendants of the fiber glass bags that appeared in 1963. They have gone through a few styling and production changes, but are essentially the same.

You can look at an FL from the mid 1950's and see literally the very same styling today in the Road King Classics. The FL bikes changed very little over the years appearence wise, with the exception of hard bags and the Bat Wing.

With 1965 being the first year of the Electra Glide, you have the basis for all future incarations of the Electra Glide, I.E.; FLHS (sport) Road King, etc...

Take a look at your floor boards, the D shape florboard has been in use since 1966! The first year of the Shovelhead FL's used those, before that it was the Half Moons since 1940, with minor changes.

The Road Kings are versatile bikes, if you want retro, you can easily change the look to any era of the Glide style FL as a lot of Assc. parts are still being made. Take the Nostalgic Saddle bag guards, they first appeared in 1964. The nostalgic fender rails you can get for front or rear actually have been around since 1968. Although the same ones you can buy for a Softail are the same ones that were available on FL's prior to '68.

Hope this helps in the P&A department for looks...
Very good post and very interesting....you know your stuff..Here is a 1948 P&A catalog
that you have probably seen...its on roadrat roberts site
http://www.roadratroberts1.bravepage...20CAT.%202.htm

Old 09-14-2010, 02:10 PM
2>4
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some updated pictures

So I've had my 09' RKC for a year now and wanted to share some updated pictures. Some things I've added: light trim, fender trim, LED tail light, smoked lenses, Sundowner saddle, Wild One 8.5'' baby apes, Half moon driver and passenger floorboards, Clearview windshield, Lindby highway pegs. Next on the list I'd like to do a stage 1 set up with a round air cleaner cover and fish tails. How does she look?

Attached Thumbnails  Turn a Classic into a classic-rkc1.jpg    Turn a Classic into a classic-rkc2.jpg    Turn a Classic into a classic-rkc3.jpg    Turn a Classic into a classic-rkc4.jpg  
Old 09-14-2010, 02:29 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2>4
Half moon driver and passenger floorboards,
I see you went with the newer half moons, good looking rig.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:33 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2>4
So I've had my 09' RKC for a year now and wanted to share some updated pictures. Some things I've added: light trim, fender trim, LED tail light, smoked lenses, Sundowner saddle, Wild One 8.5'' baby apes, Half moon driver and passenger floorboards, Clearview windshield, Lindby highway pegs. Next on the list I'd like to do a stage 1 set up with a round air cleaner cover and fish tails. How does she look?
This is the same combination I'm considering, Sundowner & 8.5" baby apes.

Do these handlebars have more pullback than stock?

Thanks

Old 09-14-2010, 04:36 PM
2>4
Road Captain

Originally Posted by drspencer
This is the same combination I'm considering, Sundowner & 8.5" baby apes.

Do these handlebars have more pullback than stock?

Thanks

I guess I should first tell you that I am 5'11'' tall. I don't have the exact measurements but I can tell you that they certainly feel like they have more pullback than stock. Also, since they are taller than the stock bars, you are not reaching down as much. I am running the bars basically at the angle of the fork. I really like these bars a lot. I tried the Heritage Style bars first and was not happy with the wrist angle. The 8.5'' baby apes also look good with the windscreen off. Also, the Sundowner saddle is very comfortable for both the Mrs. and myself.

Last edited by 2>4; 09-14-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:24 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2>4
I guess I should first tell you that I am 5'11'' tall. I don't have the exact measurements but I can tell you that they certainly feel like they have more pullback than stock. Also, since they are taller than the stock bars, you are not reaching down as much. I am running the bars basically at the angle of the fork. I really like these bars a lot. I tried the Heritage Style bars first and was not happy with the wrist angle. The 8.5'' baby apes also look good with the windscreen off. Also, the Sundowner saddle is very comfortable for both the Mrs. and myself.
I'm 6' tall, and I can't decide between the 8.5" baby apes or 10" mini apes.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:12 PM
2>4
Road Captain

I was on the fence too. I thought the 8.5'' bars looked a little better on the Road King Classic. It is hard to know what handlebar will feel right and it's not exactly easy to change them. The 10'' bars might be more comfortable for you, hard to say.

Last edited by 2>4; 09-14-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:45 AM
stephenr928
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2>4
I think it looks good....But Whiskers doesn't get impressed until you get some fringe!

Quick Reply: Turn a Classic into a classic