Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn a Classic into a classic

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:05 AM
rberni
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts

Wow lots of great pics and ideas in this thread. I just picked up a 2001 RK a few weeks ago and was looking for some ideas to mod it.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:30 PM
LV_EOD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoChrome
Question... where did you get the Caddy tail lights?
Not exactly Cadillac lights...but similar...

http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id93.html

Old 08-27-2010, 06:24 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, doing my gear drive conversion on the 8th. S&S 510s, new cam plate, upgraded oil pump, SE push rods, lifters. Then on the 15th, doing HD Fat bars, chrome controls, braided cables, new grips, mirrors and chrome front end with chrome calipers.

Bike is almost done...:-)

Old 08-27-2010, 09:23 PM
MSgt Rose
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcollison
This post is worthless without pictures!

That is an incredible finish, looks real nice!

Old 08-30-2010, 11:29 AM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MSgt Rose
That is an incredible finish, looks real nice!
Did a pretty good match with the color as well! The whole job still cost less than a "factory matched" finished fender....and WAAAAYYY less waiting time!

Old 08-31-2010, 09:15 PM
Razorback
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MoChrome
Question... where did you get the Caddy tail lights?
ebay...59 caddy reproductions. less than $50 . You have to gut your turn signals with a dremel, but I have a detailed write up with pics if you need it. The Dagmar units are way pricey and IMHO not as clean an install.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:20 PM
Razorback
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by El Rey
Whiskers, Bmorehomeboy, Bobros;

Any of you guys really; who put the front fender light on, couple questions.

I saved pretty much all the pics I kind find of your bikes, any close ups of the light would be nice. The big question, what size bits did ya'll use and obviously you started pilot holes, what size bits?

I picked up the Heritage Springer fender light today for a great price, but notice the wiring is rather thick. Since I have a Road King and not a Classic, most of my fender tip lamp wiring is still intact, as I changed the tip a few months ago to the Classic style, maybe I can use the original wiring instead of the thicker one.

Any suggestions, pics, etc, etc greatly appreciated as I'll be tackling this project in the next few weeks. I'm finally changing my bars and doing the chrome front in about three weeks. Also going to change out the Road King emblem for an Electra Glide one. Can't wait!
Cant remember the bit sizes but just get it centered and at the right angle. I preferred the top to be level. Dont over think it, if it looks right it probably is. Mark the holes and start small. The gasket can be used as a guide. The hole for the lamp needs to be bigger than you'd think. I just kept going larger until it popped in. Be sure to dab some paint in the holes so it doesn't rust.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:51 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, we upgraded wife from a 1100 metric to an 07 RKC this summer that had a whopping 1345 miles on it. Just wired in and installed some WO 508's for her this weekend. I think I will try to make her look like Whiskers scoot! (mine is the "old" high mileage 08 black, she got the white/pacific blue she fell in love with when they first came out).

Attached Thumbnails  Turn a Classic into a classic-new-to-us-rkc-in-the-stable-001.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Hey Indy...I think we've spoken before. Nice bikes! You can't go wrong with Blue and White.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:53 PM
.357 Magnum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here we are, after I've been following this thread for a while... finally got some of the last few pieces installed that really make my Classic look classic to me. Thanks to all of you for the pictures, details, and inspiration!

A few notes on upgrades:
  • Wild 1s Chubbies "Road King" bars
  • Visors on headlights, taillight, turn signals
  • Vance & Hines Fishtail slip-ons
  • Iron Bags "Iron T" saddlebags
  • Round air cleaner cover (HD)
  • Round horn cover
Unexpectedly, I think the round horn cover is one of the most important parts to making the Road King look less modern. The standard "cowbell" horn cover stands out so clearly as a post-AMF-era Harley look that doing away with it is surprisingly effective at taking the bike back in time.

Not much left to change... my girl and I have a challenge between us to paint our bikes ourselves. Not quite decided which way to go, but I'm sure it'll be fun!

Quick Reply: Turn a Classic into a classic