Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn a Classic into a classic

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:27 AM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Riverdog
It doesn't fit perfect but I used double sided tape behind it and made it work on my 09.
The stripe on the tank runs a little higher on the later models it seems. I love the way your badges line up perfectly with it!

The stripe is too low on my '04 to do that...

Name:  Clean001.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  99.5 KB

Old 06-27-2010, 07:55 PM
burro237
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default License plate relocation for 09 RK

I know it has probably been mentioned somewere in other forums, but I was wondering if anyone here has found a good kit or homemade way to mount the license plate below the taillight for an 09 RK. All the kits I've found so far are for 08 and older. Any help or even direction to another forum would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:23 PM
LV_EOD
Advanced

Originally Posted by burro237
<snip>...I was wondering if anyone here has found a good kit or homemade way to mount the license plate below the taillight for an 09 RK.<snip>
I've never looked real close, but would the license/light assembly from a Road King Standard mount to the Classic fender? You can have your undermount that way.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:49 PM
burro237
Advanced
Default Re; license plate mount

Originally Posted by LV_EOD
I've never looked real close, but would the license/light assembly from a Road King Standard mount to the Classic fender? You can have your undermount that way.
Wow... I never realized that the standard FLHRs had the fender mounted plates. I wonder why they put it on the Standard and not the Classic. Maybe because of the rear fender trim heighth? Ill have to check with HD. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Guzzi999
1st Gear

I noticed that you have a ton of miles on your '09 Road King. I just picked an '09 up. Any problems with it. Im considering an extended service agreement.
Thanks,

Old 06-29-2010, 10:47 PM
LV_EOD
Advanced

Originally Posted by Guzzi999
I noticed that you have a ton of miles on your '09 Road King. I just picked an '09 up. Any problems with it. Im considering an extended service agreement.
Thanks,
When I crashed it, I had owned it 11 months and cranked up about 17000 miles with only one glitch. On a ride from Vegas to Eastern Iowa, my toe shifter stripped out. I sure was glad to have that heel shifter, tho it took a bit of left hand reaching to downshift. Hawkeye Harley in Iowa City IA took care of me 110%.
All the recommended maintenance was dealer done at the proper intervals. As far as buying an extended warranty, I think those depend a lot on how much of your own wrench turning you are comfortable with, and whether or not the bike is your ONLY vehicle. I usually have another vehicle available, so if my bike breaks and it's not covered by warranty, it can sit til I get around to it myself, or til I have the scratch to get it fixed. Hope this helps.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:48 PM
LV_EOD
Advanced

Originally Posted by burro237
Wow... I never realized that the standard FLHRs had the fender mounted plates. I wonder why they put it on the Standard and not the Classic. Maybe because of the rear fender trim heighth? Ill have to check with HD. Thanks for the suggestion.
It doesn't actually mount to the fender, but bolts sorta kinda to the underside of the rear light bar/taillight.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Riverdog
Intermediate

I went with the kuryakyn bullet tail lights and plate relocator for my 09 road king. Then I was able to use the stealth luggage rack without the plate getting in the way.

And to the other post about the RK's endurance...I've had mine just over a year and I'm well over 18,000 miles on it. I did have a leak in the primary gasket at about 15k but the dealer replaced it for free.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:05 AM
Riverdog
Intermediate

Here's my signal/plate relocator

Attached Thumbnails  Turn a Classic into a classic-cimg0041.jpg  
Old 06-30-2010, 09:19 PM
burro237
Advanced

Riverdog.. That looks good. That maybe the route I'll take. I like the bullseye tank emblem too

Quick Reply: Turn a Classic into a classic