Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn a Classic into a classic

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 05:33 PM
quinteroad
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fish Tail Pipes

John,
1 to 10, 10 being loudest how would you rate the Samsons? I have the HD Touring Fish Tails and the claim they are "street legal" but not good on the frwy. I would say they are about a 4. Thank you.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:46 AM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mgmoreau
Hi John,

What model Samsons do you have? I just bought my bike and it has the Samson Rolled Thunder slip on's. I have not ridden it yet but is seems loud. Do you know if you can change the baffles on these pipes?

Also I noticed on one of your previous posts that you have the Howard's Horns Duo's. How do you like this setup? Are they as loud as advertised?
I'll start with the Howard's Hog Horns...I haven't "metered" them in a comparison with say the Rivco horns for example, but they are plenty loud! I will give one knock and only one to them...with the compressor mounted in the cowbell that's a lot of weight on that bracket and mine snapped off last summer. With the vibration of the rubber mounted motor on the touring models I suppose it's bound to happen when you ride as opposed to parking a lot. that having been said, I like them a lot! Put them on the Heritage Springer when I had it also.

Samsons, if a cop wants to pull you over, he's probably going to have just cause! I would have to research the SamsonUSA website to tell you the exact model, but I believe they are the 26" drag fishtail slipons. The fishtails are available with or without mufflers (at least they used to be). You can always stuff in a baffle to quiet them down a little and give yourself a little back pressure as well. I don't know of many pipes that are necessarily any louder and the fishtail at the tip will give a much higher, more crispy pitch to your exhaust tone.

If I'm riding with other folks, I always volunteer to ride sweep!!!!

Old 02-25-2010, 07:53 AM
jmcollison
Road Master

Originally Posted by quinteroad
John,
1 to 10, 10 being loudest how would you rate the Samsons? I have the HD Touring Fish Tails and the claim they are "street legal" but not good on the frwy. I would say they are about a 4. Thank you.
IMHO the drag fishtails have to be somewhere in the 9-10 range. They are just plain loud!!!

I really do pay attention to where I'm riding and stay out of the throttle if I'm in residential areas. It doesn't take long to figure out how to roll your bike without really pushing the dB barriers.

At cruise speed on the highway they settle into a (to me any way) very pleasing tone. I have done 1,000+ miles in a day and wasn't "sound fatigued".

That having been said (one of my favorite phrases) if you're on a two-lane and that cager in front of you that's selecting songs on their i-pod, vascilating between the speed limit and 5 mph under, hitting both the center line and shoulder as they go through the speed dial features of their phone all as you're trying to enjoy a ride then they have JUST WHAT IT TAKES when you get a clear shot to pass!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:28 AM
mgmoreau
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcollison
I'll start with the Howard's Hog Horns...I haven't "metered" them in a comparison with say the Rivco horns for example, but they are plenty loud! I will give one knock and only one to them...with the compressor mounted in the cowbell that's a lot of weight on that bracket and mine snapped off last summer. With the vibration of the rubber mounted motor on the touring models I suppose it's bound to happen when you ride as opposed to parking a lot. that having been said, I like them a lot! Put them on the Heritage Springer when I had it also.

Samsons, if a cop wants to pull you over, he's probably going to have just cause! I would have to research the SamsonUSA website to tell you the exact model, but I believe they are the 26" drag fishtail slipons. The fishtails are available with or without mufflers (at least they used to be). You can always stuff in a baffle to quiet them down a little and give yourself a little back pressure as well. I don't know of many pipes that are necessarily any louder and the fishtail at the tip will give a much higher, more crispy pitch to your exhaust tone.

If I'm riding with other folks, I always volunteer to ride sweep!!!!
John,

My Howard's horns arrived yesterday. The bracket that came with the horns looks to be at least 1/4" steel with a powder coated finish. I can't imagine that bracket cracking. Perhaps they have improved the bracket since you bought your horns.

On my pipes, I emailed Sampson USA and since I did not know the model # of my slip-ons he could not tell me if the baffles can be changed. A buddy of mine that owns two Harley's looked at them and the baffles appear to be welded into the pipes. I like the sound of the pipes when the bike is idling but I don't want to get harassed by the cops if it is too loud on the road.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:56 PM
jmcollison
Road Master

The bracket that broke on me wasn't the black powder-coated bracket that Howard's supplies, the one that the trumpets mount to, the one that broke was the chrome H-D bracket that the cowbell mounts to.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:55 AM
2>4
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fng

Greetings from Madison, WI. I have been lurking around hdforums since I bought my 09' RKC last fall but this is my first post. I have learned so much by reading the posts here. I also enjoy looking at all the great bikes. I look foreward to sharing some thoughts and pictures when the weather gets better here. I will have my new Wild One 8.5'' baby apes and rider backrest installed soon. Should be a comfortable ride!

Attached Thumbnails  Turn a Classic into a classic-roadking.jpg  
Old 03-03-2010, 06:28 PM
2>4
Road Captain
Default Newbie section

I just found the newbie section, I guess that is more appropriate. However, I also want to turn my classic into a classic. Now if I could just win the lottery!

Old 03-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 2>4
I just found the newbie section, I guess that is more appropriate. However, I also want to turn my classic into a classic. Now if I could just win the lottery!
After you've introduced yourself over at the newbie forum you just come on back here and play with us. Bring your credit card though; we've got a lot of ideas on how to spend your $$.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:15 PM
2>4
Road Captain

Whiskers, I have been staring at your bike like a voyeur. Very nice.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 2>4
Whiskers, I have been staring at your bike like a voyeur. Very nice.
Thanks.... How much $$ ya' got and where do ya' want to start? This damned place has cost me lots so there's no getting off easy for ya.

Quick Reply: Turn a Classic into a classic