Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ODD ISSUE. FLHTCU bars locked to left and won't unlock???

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 06:19 PM
surfnride1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ODD ISSUE. FLHTCU bars locked to left and won't unlock???

Doing a bar swap and I'm putting the fairing and ignition back together on a 2007 FLHTCU and now the bars won't get out of the locked position. what the heck?

I've disassmebled and re-assembled the ignition mutlitple times (per the manual) and I've checked everywhere around the forks/steering head to make sure there isn't any blockage.

Is there an release pin somewhere or some stupid thing I'm missing when re-assembling the ignition that would cause this?

Old 06-27-2013, 06:25 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

I assume you had the keyways ligned up when you put the lock back in? There may be too much pressure on the lock pin while in the locked position, have you tried rocking the bars back and forth while trying to unlock the forks? Ive had this happen a couple times, I just tug left and turn the lock to release. Hope this helps.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:30 PM
surfnride1
3rd Gear

Yeah I was tugging back and forth as I spun the keylock around and around. I can feel the key/ignition going through all the stations (off/on etc..)

I keep assembling and disassembling it and nada. Just stays locked to the left.

Going to be tough to ride if all I can do is go left unless I plan on joining the Harley Nascar Circuit.

Originally Posted by bagman1
I assume you had the keyways ligned up when you put the lock back in? There may be too much pressure on the lock pin while in the locked position, have you tried rocking the bars back and forth while trying to unlock the forks? Ive had this happen a couple times, I just tug left and turn the lock to release. Hope this helps.

Last edited by surfnride1; 06-27-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:32 PM
Am4wag
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Spray some WD-40 in where the key goes (?) ...

Old 06-27-2013, 06:37 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

It sounds like you fitted the ign assembly thru the first keyway but not the other that is most likely your fork lock keyway. Did you align both keyways before installing the ignition? Im shooting from clouded memory as I dont have my book with me.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:46 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

It sounds like you fitted the ign assembly thru the first keyway but not the other that is most likely your fork lock keyway. Did you align both keyways before installing the ignition? Im shooting from clouded memory as I dont have my book with me.
Sounds about right. Take a large screwdriver, or make a tool out of copper tubing and line them up.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:51 PM
surfnride1
3rd Gear

I aligned them exactly like the manual shows them.

Isn't there some way to use a long screwdriver to push the lock pin back in and if so how do I access the pin?

Old 06-27-2013, 06:56 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Im not sure, but why dont you take a couple of minutes to view the video that Steelerdude just posted, it explains everything in a nut shell. Maybe you will catch something you omitted. Good luck.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:01 PM
surfnride1
3rd Gear

Got it... Ran the screwdriver up from underneath the ignition switch and it popped it free.

All good!

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
Sounds about right. Take a large screwdriver, or make a tool out of copper tubing and line them up.

Harley Ignition switch removal from a 2009 Street Glide - YouTube