Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive 444 or 944 Series on FLHX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:03 PM
tazman509
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Progressive 444 or 944 Series on FLHX?

I have read almost all the threads I can find on here on Progressive shocks. It appears a majority of the people that are running the 444's are happy and the people running the 944's are happy. As far as comfort I think I would be happy with either. The main questions I have are concerning ride height. I am installing a 21" front wheel so I am adding the Mono-tube to compensate for the height difference and to improve ride quality. I am installing a 17" rear with 200mm tire which should be very close to stock ride height. I did the MCC seat mod so I can better flat foot. I do not want the bike to sit any higher than it already sits. I wouldnt mind getting a 1/2" lower. I see the 944's are 13" but are supposed to sit at 12". The shocks below are the ones I am debating on. Any input on ride height and pros/cons is appreciated. I am going with the standard spring. I do ride 2up sometimes. Weight 170(ish) passenger 115(ish).

- 11.5" 444 Series
- 12" 444 Series
- 944 Series

Old 06-27-2013, 01:11 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

The 944 with the standard springs once broken in wil sit on the side stand with the bike at about the same as it does now with the 12" SG shocks, with you on iot it should sag another 0.5-1 " so it should be a little lower than your bike now with the stock HD air shocks since they dont sag much if at all witha 170 lb rider.

Going to the 444 in a 12" will be about the same maybe 0.5" lower depending on how the 944 break in.

Going to the 444 in 11.5 another 0.5" lower with you on it but of all three shocks with the 944 you will have almost 3.75" of travel, 12" 444 you will have about 2.25" of travel and with the 11.5" about 2" of travel.

Your stock HD air shocks in 12" have about 2" of travel.

suspension travel and quality of the shocks dampening are what determine the ride. Both the 444 and the 944 now use what Progressive calls FST dampening so they are basicly the same shock only the 944 has more sag built into it.

The Progressives are a lot better than the stock setup but if you have the budget look into JRI

Old 06-27-2013, 01:12 PM
notrailers
Road Master

At your weight you will have to get the "light" spring for 944 to achieve the 1" sag. I know you said you want to maintain the stock stance, but the 13" 444 are a very nice riding shock. The extra inch of travel makes a huge difference in ride quality.

Because of your weight and the fact that you want to maintain the stance, I would look at the Ohlins 2 adjustable or the JRI.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:19 PM
tazman509
Road Captain

If I go with the 13" Progressive 444's I will probably need training wheels! I definitely do not want to go any higher on the ride height. I need all the millimeters I can get. I could probably get away with the 944's if I get the full 1" sag. I tried to call Progressive just to get their input but no answer today.
Not sure I want to spend what they are wanting for Ohlins or JRI. DCP has some good prices on the Progressives right now. I also like being able to adjust by hand and not carry a spanner wrench. I see JRI is only about 120 miles from where I live in North Carolina. I may have to take a ride over there when I get my R&R in July if I haven't decided on Progressives by then.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:32 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

JRi's are less than you think , Howard gives forum members a huge discount , JRi A's or B's would both out perform the Progressive shocks but if you are stuck on them do the 944's with the spring for your weight

Old 06-27-2013, 02:44 PM
tazman509
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tj316
JRi's are less than you think , Howard gives forum members a huge discount , JRi A's or B's would both out perform the Progressive shocks but if you are stuck on them do the 944's with the spring for your weight
Not necessarily stuck on the Progressives. If I can get the JRI's at a decent price I may be interested. I will give Howard a call. It would be a good ride over to JRI and it would also be good if they could make all of the adjustments on site. Dialing it in at the shop would be worth the extra cost I'm sure.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

I would get a set of JRI's and save the headache of getting a shock, trying it, being disappointed and trying to resell it and order what is going to work best first. Been there done that with Progressive rear shocks and I was never happy with them.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:11 PM
tazman509
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Hogpro
I would get a set of JRI's and save the headache of getting a shock, trying it, being disappointed and trying to resell it and order what is going to work best first. Been there done that with Progressive rear shocks and I was never happy with them.
You are probably correct on that. I will start hitting the threads on here about the JRI shocks before asking too many questions on them. I don't want to get hemmed up by the hdforums search button police. There are a few people that hang out on here all day just so they can tell you to use the search feature.
BTW. I see my Renegade wheels, Ness chrome lowers, Mono-tube, etc. are on the UPS truck headed to my garage. Now I just need to hurry up and get home on my R&R so I can get everything mounted. I will probably be giving you a call on the Ness Deep Cut bag handles.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by tazman509
You are probably correct on that. I will start hitting the threads on here about the JRI shocks before asking too many questions on them. I don't want to get hemmed up by the hdforums search button police. There are a few people that hang out on here all day just so they can tell you to use the search feature.
BTW. I see my Renegade wheels, Ness chrome lowers, Mono-tube, etc. are on the UPS truck headed to my garage. Now I just need to hurry up and get home on my R&R so I can get everything mounted. I will probably be giving you a call on the Ness Deep Cut bag handles.
Yup, all you need to do is get back to get everything put on. As always thanks for your business and if you want or need anything else please give me a shout.
Don't forget to post some pics here on teh forums and email us a few so we can get them up on our website.