Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New two up seat choice - Mustang or Road Zeppelin

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Dobe66
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New two up seat choice - Mustang or Road Zeppelin

After reading lots of posts and asking a few questions, I've narrowed down the choice for a new seat for my 2012 EG to two. The Road Zeppelin looks ugly but comfortable and the ability to adjust the pressure on a long haul seems like a good idea. But I have read about the potential for the air bladders to leak. Is this really an issue?
The Mustang Regal also looks comfortable and Mustang seems to be liked by quite a few on this forum and has a good overall reputation for quality.
Recommendations and experiences with both or either appreciated.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:04 PM
kdfcogwheel
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried both. The Mustang has a great platform from which it is built. However, in order to make room for 2-up it sacrifices rider room. I felt as though I was sitting on the tank. It also can sit you up a bit higher (taller) in the saddle. The Road Zeppelin was my second seat and upon initial test I could sit comfortably for at least 3 hours. I have now had it for a year and have not experienced any bladder leakage or failure. Some also claim that the compressor fails. Not the case. I just completed a 2800 mile trek up through New England and enjoyed it immensely. I got a really good price through the dealer ($675). Expensive, yes, but worth it. Ugly, yes, to an oversized point of view. To me, and this is only my opinion, comfort is the name of the game. If I wanted to look cool I would have bought a street glide or something along that line. I made the purchase based upon 2-up riding.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Wild Duck
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Zepplin on my '04 Ultra with almost 40,000 mi. and no problems. Still works great and the wife loves being able to adjust her ride on the go....happy wife, happy pappy.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:15 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Ugly??? are you kidding? I think it's a great looking seat - almost like LazyBoy recliner.

I've had 2 RZ seats. One on my 03 Ultra that was still working when I traded my bike in on a 2010 Limited. The new RZ seat doesn't have the 3 bladders in front - only 2. I just brought my 2nd seat to the dealer last night to have new bladders installed - after only 3 years. I guess QC is on the way out on this product - along with almost everything else in the world - bean counters rule.
I still wouldn't own any other seat since I do a lot of long distance trips, 2)2000 mile trips in June alone.

If I were to own another seat it wouldn't be any of the off the shelf seats like Mustang, Saddleman, etc. I would buy a custom made seat like the enclosed review of a seat from Mayer. Don't cost much more then the static seats.

Damn it - this size limit of attachments is rediculous. Look up on Google billmayer-saddles.com
There is a great review of their seats in this months issue (Aug) of Rider magazine.