Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fifth Gear "Racket"

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 03:36 PM
unclekunkle
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fifth Gear "Racket"

I've been told it's a normal noise associated with the new 6 speed transmission on my '07 Road Glide and that the Electra Glide Ultra is also noisy in 1st gear as well possibly due to a different 1st gear ratio).Knowing the best place for a consensus opinion is right here on this HDForum... Do all the '07 6 speeds make the noise, (kind ofa clanking or clattering) while in 5th gear ? [sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 02-26-2007, 03:41 PM
brokenfingers
Advanced
Default RE: Fifth Gear "Racket"

lots has been said on this issue... check the history. 5th gear is notnoisy from its ratio, but its cut. With the straight cut gear you're getting a stronger gear, but from gear slap... its a bit more noisy. Good gear oil will quiet it down quite a bit. Check the history.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:48 PM
RainMaker
Cruiser

07 UC and all i hear is a whine in 5th which is fine.. lets me know I have another gear to go . I havent heard any kind of clunk.

My 06 SG did have some noise to it but learning to keep the rpm around 2500 seemed to greatly reduce tranny noise.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

And besides that... it's a "sound" not a "noise". Many of us have come to realize that HD built it into the transmission as a "5th gear indicator" so that we would know what gear we are in. At least that's what I think....

Old 02-26-2007, 03:51 PM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: unclekunkle
Do all the '07 6 speeds make the noise, (kind ofa clanking or clattering) while in 5th gear ?
Mine is quietas a church mouse[sm=happybounce.gif]

Dan

Old 02-26-2007, 04:25 PM
TwoBaggerz
Cruiser

I just spent the weekend with an 07 RKClassic...
I like the 5th gear sound, sounds like a turbine spooling up or down! My biggest problem was remembering to shift out of fourth at 65 or so....then at 80...had even ANOTHER gear! I love the 6 speed...

PS...After renting many MC's, I have fallen in love with the RCClassic!

Old 02-26-2007, 04:42 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well here I go again.
Yes there have been numerous complaints of what the operator considers excessive
noise from the new 6 speed tranny, primarily 5th and 6th gears.
An Article I read indicates HD went to helical cut gears on 2nd, 3rd, 4th only.
supposedly stronger, smoother quicker shifts for around town primarily.
and standard spur cuts on 1st,5th, 6th.
If you believe the noise is excessive do two things; one take it to the dealer and have it written up on a work order and checked out under warranty. Two call HDMOCO direct,
file a complaint with them and GET A REFERENCE number.
These two things are how the moco develops a customer complaint data base on a given problem. when the data base develops enough data, then the moco will investigate the issue and maybe, (I SAID MAYBE) issue a tech bulletin, a recall or some such.
Also according to the article this new gear set is assembled as a cassette. so it can be easily removed from case, modified and or repaired.
But by all means do contact the dealer as above.
Good luck.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:48 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Lets say these owners of the new 6 speeds that think they have a noisey trans had bought the bike without a warranty.Would they be as concerned,or accept that Moco introduced a new style trans with different cut gears that sound different than the older 5 speeds?? I guess that if they can't use their warranty for something,they feel cheated[]

Old 02-26-2007, 08:36 PM
unclekunkle
Tourer

ORIGINAL: GTK

Lets say these owners of the new 6 speeds that think they have a noisey trans had bought the bike without a warranty.Would they be as concerned,or accept that Moco introduced a new style trans with different cut gears that sound different than the older 5 speeds?? I guess that if they can't use their warranty for something,they feel cheated[]
I don't think I have a noisy trans, (in 5th gear only) ... I know I got a noisy trans. I'm trying to get an opinion here of whether its a normal sound or not. I also received a 2 year manufacturers warranty against defect as standard issue with my motorcycle and if you think I want somebody to open my expensive, factory builttrans just so I can feel "not cheated" then you been smokin some bad S#@t.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:40 PM
Dave_E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 07 RKC DOES NOT make any appreciable noise in 5th. Only in 6th, and only when I'm not going fast enough.

Quick Reply: Fifth Gear "Racket"