Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fifth Gear "Racket"

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 10:14 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Fifth Gear "Racket"

My 07 Ultra whines in 5th and ratlles in sixth.

The whine got less noticeable with more miles , now have 2k on it. Also got less noticeable with gear oil (Royal Purple). The rattle in sixth, well I dont know what it is but if the rpms are above 2200, it doesnt rattle, so I just dont shift into 6th until about 65+. I agree, the more people that complain, the more liklihood of a fix, but I am not holding my breath for HD to do something unless the whine and rattle result in blown tranny's down the road. Just like valve train noise, part of the package and you learn to live with it, whether right or not. I still like my ride, and with all the mods I am currently doing, I most likely won't notice the whine or rattle come spring.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:19 PM
ndotken
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: forestfarm

After I come up with the $1200 more to do the exhaust,pc3 and air filter Im sure I will forget all about the tranny,clattering,compensator clacking etc.
Don't pay the dealer $1200 to do the stage 1. Do it yourself ... costs about $750.

PCIII $300
Rush Pipes $300
SE A/C $150

Old 02-28-2007, 11:22 PM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: choochoo

I suppose your mother forgot to instruct you that it's not nice to call people names.
But my advice about contacting dealer and HDMOCO and file a complaint remains.
I also GAVE good info and links on gearing and noises they make.
Is this the problem with this tranny, don't know, but the symptoms/ causesare the same
in ANY GEAR TRAIN!
By the way you might want to invest in a good spell checker or maybe return to first grade again.
(I don't normally flame others, but sometimes you just have to relieve the stress and make smart a$$ remarks about people that are being smart a$$es
ORIGINAL: oley55

I remain befuddled (politically correct word usage) how persons who neither own or have personnel experience with the 07's are compelled to share their "oh great and wise" advice on what to do about someone elses experiences or problems.

I for one am interested to read and hear about real first hand experiences. I however as an 06 owner would never presume to offer advice gleanedonly from reading various posts on the subject.

yeah, I'm probably talking about the the train guy. "what a looser andwhat a dip stick.........!" again trying to reamain cival and politically correct.
WOW,I am illegitimately concernedyou feel my post was directed to you (ChooChoo). I am at a loss as tohow you made the "train guy" and ChooChoo connection. Regardless, I, as I'm sure others, eagerly await your insightful firsthand experiences and observations. After all, that is the true value of this forum, "persons sharing first hand experiences and problems."

good point about the spell checker though, as I vividly recall my COMP 101Prof telling me me, "Mr Oley, your spelling is atrocious." to which I replied, "can you spell that for me?" no word star or similar programs, (orPC's for that matter) back then. cut me deep, cut me long, I remain trulydevastated and embarrassed......NOT! LOL

But seriously, do you have anyadvise on how we shoulddeal with all the inevitable 08 problems we haven't heard about yet?

Old 02-28-2007, 11:47 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so what's your point?
Suppose you then enlighten us and give a clue to whom you were talking about?
let's see choo choo has been an associated nickname about trains since before I was born and that was a long time ago.

And since most everybody here knows or have read that I have an 06 not an 07 so am entering posts and replies on things people talk about here that I don't personally have first hand knowledge on (as stated by your first sentence in first post), your remarks just kind of generally maybe could be possibly be pointed aimed directed at me. But I have test rode an 07 flhtci last year.
However, having been and Auto, Heavy truck and Heavy Equipment tech for about 30 + years now and having attended college on them, and numerous training courses offered by different manufacturers, I'd say I have a pretty good background in what I am talking about. Doesn't mean I am 100 % right on any one thing and doesn't mean I can't learn something new, because I do learn something new here and elsewhere regularly.
But what I said about pinging, valve train noises, and tranny gear noises I stand behind.
Do I have the cure? NO. I have opinions that I believe are thought out and researched.
Ahhhhhhhh hell, now I'm just rambling.
About 08 problems, no.
HD could have anything up their corporate sleeve. Guess we will have to wait and see what develops.
EPA did their damage in 2006. Stricter guidelines are not expected until 2010.
My guess hd will continue to spank the aircooled monkey and try to refine the 07 design for 08.
But 09 probably (possibly) see a liquid cooled engine in the baggers.
Hell damn near every honda, kaw, suz has used them for 10 or 15 years. Yes they have problems too. But I aven't heard of the heat, pinging and tranny problems like here.

I just got to thinking of something, Harley went to sliding dog rings to make the shifts instead of moving gears.
Has anybody tried putting their toe over or under the shifter and apply just a little pressure both ways when they hear the whine. And see if it increases or decreases in that gear.
5th especially because most complaints are of whining in 5th?
[quote]ORIGINAL: oley55

ORIGINAL: choochoo

I suppose your mother forgot to instruct you that it's not nice to call people names.
But my advice about contacting dealer and HDMOCO and file a complaint remains.
I also GAVE good info and links on gearing and noises they make.
Is this the problem with this tranny, don't know, but the symptoms/ causesare the same
in ANY GEAR TRAIN!
By the way you might want to invest in a good spell checker or maybe return to first grade again.
(I don't normally flame others, but sometimes you just have to relieve the stress and make smart a$$ remarks about people that are being smart a$$es
ORIGINAL: oley55

I remain befuddled (politically correct word usage) how persons who neither own or have personnel experience with the 07's are compelled to share their "oh great and wise" advice on what to do about someone elses experiences or problems.

I for one am interested to read and hear about real first hand experiences. I however as an 06 owner would never presume to offer advice gleanedonly from reading various posts on the subject.

yeah, I'm probably talking about the the train guy. "what a looser andwhat a dip stick.........!" again trying to reamain cival and politically correct.
WOW,I am illegitimately concernedyou feel my post was directed to you (ChooChoo). I am at a loss as tohow you made the "train guy" and ChooChoo connection. Regardless, I, as I'm sure others, eagerly await your insightful firsthand experiences and observations. After all, that is the true value of this forum, "persons sharing first hand experiences and problems."

good point about

Old 03-01-2007, 12:17 AM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ChooChho makes Senior Rider

dang, I hope this doesn't become too personal.

by the way, congratualtions. in slightly more thanthirty days you have managed to sharesome314 postswith us andattained "Senior Rider" status.Now that's gotta be a record. You are the Man!

Old 03-01-2007, 12:41 AM
timebandit60185
Advanced

you could not of said it any better

Old 03-01-2007, 12:54 AM
c3scott
6th Gear

Exactly why I hope to score a 2002 garage queen some day. Based upon what I have read I'll stay away from anything older than 2005.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:59 AM
c3scott
6th Gear

sorrry I meant anything newer than 2005.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:26 AM
eharms325
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: Georges

My 07 RG has the whine in 5, cool with me, it is a machine. If I want sewing machine smooth, wrong brand. It would be helpful to have the owners with the ratttling post RPM/MPH in their posts. If you tell the truth then it will be obvious if you are lugging the engine or not. The guy with the turbo Busa... If I try to ride my ZX10r from idle to 13k RPM in the wrong gear, it makes noises too.
Course i'm full of crap I suppose.
07' FLHTC
I love my bike and wouldn't trade it for anything. But I do have a problem when my bike and others rattle in 5th gear, and others who bought the same bike for the same amount don't.
I'm happy for the people that don't have issues with 5th gear.
There is an issue with some of the trannys and Harley has admitted it. And if there is nothing wrong with it then why the hell did Baker Trans come out with a fix for it??? That would be a lot of work and designing for no problem!!!
And then there are the people who tell us we're lugging the bike. If I was running too low rpm in 5th then why does it quiet down when I shift to 6th. (LOWER RPM).
5th gear rpm noise happens from 2,000 on up to 5,000

Old 03-01-2007, 02:39 AM
mason417
Cruiser

07 SG mine sounds fine.

Quick Reply: Fifth Gear "Racket"