Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fifth Gear "Racket"

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 02:02 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Fifth Gear "Racket"

ORIGINAL: choochoo

...and standard spur cuts on 1st,5th, 6th.
I didn't know 6th was also a spur-cut gear, but maybe that explains why it rattles at lower RPM's, too.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:08 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

ORIGINAL: iclick

I didn't know 6th was also a spur-cut gear, but maybe that explains why it rattles at lower RPM's, too.

It's not.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:09 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

[sm=ummmmokay.gif]

If spur = straight, then 6th = helical

Old 02-28-2007, 06:37 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AHHHHHHHH you can tell spring is coming,glad Im not answering the phone lines at HD.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:15 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I suppose your mother forgot to instruct you that it's not nice to call people names.
But my advice about contacting dealer and HDMOCO and file a complaint remains.
I also GAVE good info and links on gearing and noises they make.
Is this the problem with this tranny, don't know, but the symptoms/ causesare the same
in ANY GEAR TRAIN!
By the way you might want to invest in a good spell checker or maybe return to first grade again.
(I don't normally flame others, but sometimes you just have to relieve the stress and make smart a$$ remarks about people that are being smart a$$es
ORIGINAL: oley55

I remain befuddled (politically correct word usage) how persons who neither own or have personnel experience with the 07's are compelled to share their "oh great and wise" advice on what to do about someone elses experiences or problems.

I for one am interested to read and hear about real first hand experiences. I however as an 06 owner would never presume to offer advice gleanedonly from reading various posts on the subject.

yeah, I'm probably talking about the the train guy. "what a looser andwhat a dip stick.........!" again trying to reamain cival and politically correct.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:29 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

spur gear is just a common name for many types of straight cut teeth on a gear, as compared to helical cut or worm gearing.
I was only quoting from an articleI read about the changes HD did to the 07 engine and tranny. Haven't as yet had an opportunity to tear into one.
would be interesting to find out what the tolerances are new, and after a 1000 or so miles and cold sitting vs at normal operating temps. Might help resolve the apparent problems people are complaining about.

For those wondering I'm the train guy they are referring too. But I have nothing to do with trains. Just another sill half a$$ed assumption some other fool made.
ORIGINAL: iclick

Old 02-28-2007, 09:40 PM
sectime
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

My 07 RG has the whine in 5, cool with me, it is a machine. If I want sewing machine smooth, wrong brand. It would be helpful to have the owners with the ratttling post RPM/MPH in their posts. If you tell the truth then it will be obvious if you are lugging the engine or not. The guy with the turbo Busa... If I try to ride my ZX10r from idle to 13k RPM in the wrong gear, it makes noises too.
Course i'm full of crap I suppose.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Doug
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-28-2007, 10:12 PM
ndotken
Road Captain

As far as a class action lawsuit because of a sound, you might as well be spitting into the wind. You might have a case if the six-speed transmission is defective, but it's not. You wouldn't even have a case if the transmission was inferior to a competitor's, which it's not either. The bike makes noise ... it's not defective ... it's not inferior ... it just simply whines in 5th gear.

I bought my '07 RKC in September. 5th gear has whined from day 1. Since riding it home that day, I've installed a PCIII, SE air cleaner, and Rush pipes, which have helped cool the bike's operating temperature and improved performance greatly. Those additions have helped me go from being maybe 50% satisfied with the bike to probably 90% satisfied. At this point, the only thing that keeps me from being absolutely 100% satisfied is the 5th gear whine, but I own lots of things with which I'm quite happy without being 100% satisfied.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:13 PM
forestfarm
Cruiser

Its my turn to chime in after reading hundreds of complaints describing the same things I hear when riding my early 07 Roadking.Its a great bike,nicest I ever owned,but the tranny does sound like **** in fifth gear,whines like an army truck doing 20mph in reverse.I rode my girlfriends 02 roadking lots this summer prior to buying mine.Her bike makes no crappy sounds like mine,liked it so much I bought my own.I noticed the whining immediately upon pulling away from the dealer.Being my first new bike at age 45,I was careful to not lug the engine at all,It was very difficult to keep the engine from clattering and pinging,had to ride it like a jap bike,keeping the revs higher than you would expect having to keep a big twin.To sum it up,I love the bike,wont make me like it any less,its just a bummer some "engineer"had to improve something that didnt need messing with.Sixth gear is so tall its pretty much useless under 70,unless you want to listen to clattering and pinging.Buts its a dream on the highway from 70 up.After I come up with the $1200 more to do the exhaust,pc3 and air filter Im sure I will forget all about the tranny,clattering,compensator clacking etc.For 18 grand you would think HD would have got it right before they hit the dealerships.I guess their product evolvement and refinements come at the expense of the early model year customers.

Quick Reply: Fifth Gear "Racket"