Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fifth Gear "Racket"

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 10:25 PM
TFR
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fifth Gear "Racket"

Here's my thoughts and I have had several months to think about it. I have had my 07 SG since October 06 and have read and written a few thoughts on the 07 noise problem. I have called MOCO and also a lawyer. I think a class action suit may be needed but I hope HD will fix the problem before it occurs.
My bike makes a noise in 1st, 5th and 6th. The 1st and 5th gear is a design problem or inherent noise that is made by straight cut gears. Japanese bikes have used both types for years and each has it's own inherent noise type. The old Kawasaki900 or 1000 had straight cut gears and made a nice whine when running. Suzuki used the helical (angle) cut gears and they didn't whine. EVERYONE changed the Suzuki gears to straight cut to race the bikes. Straight gears are stronger.
The 6th gear noise is a noise that sounds like rocks in a can. It is terrible and is offensive. I spent 21K for the bike that sounds like a cheap crappy poorly made piece of crap while running in 6th gear, period. Anyone who thinks I deserve the noise or am lagging the bike and hearing the noise is full of crap. I had a turbo Hayabusa before owning this bike. I could go from idle to 11,000 RPM and never hear any noise. Why would I pay 21K for a bike and hear the noise.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:01 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Use Mobil I Full Syn 75-90W GEAR Oil in the tranny. Helps quiet things down and finding neutral is a breeze! Good stuff.

If that don't work, get louder pipes.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:10 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stop lugging your bike to try to hear a sound , you are doing damage and are going to have bigger problems to worry about . Keep the r'sss up
ORIGINAL: TFR

Here's my thoughts and I have had several months to think about it. I have had my 07 SG since October 06 and have read and written a few thoughts on the 07 noise problem. I have called MOCO and also a lawyer. I think a class action suit may be needed but I hope HD will fix the problem before it occurs.
My bike makes a noise in 1st, 5th and 6th. The 1st and 5th gear is a design problem or inherent noise that is made by straight cut gears. Japanese bikes have used both types for years and each has it's own inherent noise type. The old Kawasaki900 or 1000 had straight cut gears and made a nice whine when running. Suzuki used the helical (angle) cut gears and they didn't whine. EVERYONE changed the Suzuki gears to straight cut to race the bikes. Straight gears are stronger.
The 6th gear noise is a noise that sounds like rocks in a can. It is terrible and is offensive. I spent 21K for the bike that sounds like a cheap crappy poorly made piece of crap while running in 6th gear, period. Anyone who thinks I deserve the noise or am lagging the bike and hearing the noise is full of crap. I had a turbo Hayabusa before owning this bike. I could go from idle to 11,000 RPM and never hear any noise. Why would I pay 21K for a bike and hear the noise.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Sreynold1
Tourer

I have a 2006 so maybe I don't quite understand. Isthe trannyjust nosiey or is it a true mechanical problem? Mine is noisey all over. Engine potatos, pipes make noise, tires slap the grooves in the pavement, etc. Not trying to be a smarta$$, just curious if theloud tranny is a mechanical issue.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:23 PM
JeffSG
Road Warrior

Check this thread out for more info: https://www.hdforums.com/m_1065832/tm.htm

Mine is flawless with 3500 miles.

Ride safe,

Old 02-27-2007, 01:58 AM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My 07 UC has a rattle in 5th& 6th gear which according to my dealer isn't as bad as others he has sold,I have LUCAS 80-160 in the trans now and its helped,I'm going to switch to the REDLINE shockproff 80-250in the spring,after 7000 miles I don't mind it as much as when I first gave up my goldwing. Hoping HD will do the right thing.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:16 AM
TFR
Intermediate

Bob2002, keep pushing because according to my dealer, there isn't a problem. So I think the denial will continue until there is a class action suit.
HD2007, as I said if you think I'm lugging the bike your full of crap, period.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:20 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only way HDMOCO will do anything at all is if they get enough complaints.
While it is still under warranty take it to a dealer and have them write up a work order
for the problem and take it into the shop and have a tech work on it and document it.
then call HD direct talk to customer service and GET A REFERENCE number on the problem
and you're not content with the noise, etc whatever it is.
That is the only way to get results.
They still may not do anything, but if you don't push, you sure as hell won't get results.
HDMOCO will not accept Emails, but the investor relations will, and they will forward them to the moco (so they say). Send them an Email, let as many people in the company as you can know about the issues.
Only takes a few minutes of your time.
good luck and I'm working on my own issues, seem to be making progress.
ORIGINAL: bob2002

My 07 UC has a rattle in 5th& 6th gear which according to my dealer isn't as bad as others he has sold,I have LUCAS 80-160 in the trans now and its helped,I'm going to switch to the REDLINE shockproff 80-250in the spring,after 7000 miles I don't mind it as much as when I first gave up my goldwing. Hoping HD will do the right thing.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Stash
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have posted this before, but... They are not all the same. Prior to purchasing my 07 Ultra in Sept., I rode several diferent models from an Ultra to a street glide. I went from open house to open house riding as many as possible. Some did sound lound in fifth gear. Some did not. I spoke with a Harley Rep at the Cleveland International Motorcycle show. They had a cut out model of the 96in engine and the 6 speed transmission. They were able to show me the differences in the cut of the gears.

Before I bought, I rode the exact bike I was purchasing. It had a slight whine in fifth gear and that was it. With a stage 1 update, I rarely hear it unless I listen for it. Ride before you buy.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:43 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior

My November-build '07 Road Glide whines a bit in 1st and 5th. Rattled a bit in 6th below 2500 rpm before I had slipons/SE air cleaner/DFO. No rattle now above 2000 rpm. Runs like a scalded dog, especially above 3000 rpm.

My wife's early November-build Softail Deluxe was noticably louder in 5th. V&H Shortshots, SE aircleaner and DFO covered it up nicely! [8D]

Both of us moved up from 88/5 bikes to the 96/6s. No regrets. If I wanted a two-wheeled Accord, I'd have bought a Goldwing.

Quick Reply: Fifth Gear "Racket"