Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions for the SERT Tuners!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts
Default Questions for the SERT Tuners!

Ok, I searched the forums and looked in the "do it yourself" section and didnt find what I was looking for.

Heres the questions for the tuners; I am not new to tuning, just new to EFI tuning, Can I install and tune the SERT with my laptop? Do I have to dyno tune the bike? Are there maps available for the SERT like there is for the PC III?

The reason I'm asking is that my 2 previous EFI bikes I had dynoed with the SERT at the dealer at a high cost. The RK I have now is not going to be upgraded till the engine needs work or breaks. So I am running a stock TC 88 with slip-on mufflers and a SE Stage 1 A/C. I will in the futre be doing upgrades to the engine and will be riding the RK for a long time. I have heard that the SERT offers better tuneability than say the PC III, Is this true?

Any help from the tuners would be great! I'm hell with a carb but EFI stupid.

Thanks

Old 02-26-2007, 03:27 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Questions for the SERT Tuners!

You will benefit from the experience of a qualified dyno tuner...period!

Old 02-26-2007, 04:13 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only thing you could do with a SERT is install a canned map from the included cd if it has one for your combo of parts(harley made parts only) later if you upgraded you would need to have it dynotuned to that combo. PCIII can be tuned even better than SERT by its owner with many available maps for many combos of aftermarket parts. Or for 149.00 you could just have your dealer do the stage 1 download. I had that done for the same setup you have on my 02 and it runs great.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:14 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can buythe newDaytona TwinTecTwinScan II+ and use it to capture realtime data and tune you SERT yourself accordingly.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:49 PM
Longtimegone
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what you have planned initially, you can easily download one of the SERT canned maps for your bike with the standard HD SE stage one parts and you will probably be fine. It is essentially the same map as the dealers' stage one download. It will still be somewhatlean, butyou can fine tune it a little to richen it up some.Later, when you do more upgrades, you can always use the dyno or Phil's suggestion of a TwinScan.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:37 PM
oldbag
Banned

Daytona Twin Tec is great! You can get a great tune yourself. I have the best tune I have ever had and was able to do it myself with the Twin Scan II+.

ORIGINAL: PhilM

You can buythe newDaytona TwinTecTwinScan II+ and use it to capture realtime data and tune you SERT yourself accordingly.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:05 PM
cjuetten
Tourer
Default RE: Questions for the SETT Tuners!

If have someambitionyou cando more than just install a canned map!!

Log data,record and change yourVE, monitor yourO2 integrators (2007s). You can even do simulated dyno runs and plot any Gains or Loses and make changes accordingly. SERT is only limited by the person using it. Before you toss in the towel and hand the tuning over to someone else atleast read the manual. [sm=icon_rtfm.gif]

Funny how theguys that have never used SERT alway find some false limitations with it.

Call me optimistic but I really believe that there are a lot of intelligent riders out there who read these post that are easilycapable of doing more than just installing a canned map. Assumingonly a select few are smart enough to tune a bike is narrow minded thinking.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:47 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts

ORIGINAL: cjuetten

If have someambitionyou cando more than just install a canned map!!

Log data,record and change yourVE, monitor yourO2 integrators (2007s). You can even do simulated dyno runs and plot any Gains or Loses and make changes accordingly. SERT is only limited by the person using it. Before you toss in the towel and hand the tuning over to someone else atleast read the manual. [sm=icon_rtfm.gif]

Funny how theguys that have never used SERT alway find some false limitations with it.

Call me optimistic but I really believe that there are a lot of intelligent riders out there who read these post that are easilycapable of doing more than just installing a canned map. Assumingonly a select few are smart enough to tune a bike is narrow minded thinking.
Thats what I was thinking, can you load a can map and fine tune them?

Old 02-27-2007, 12:34 AM
cjuetten
Tourer

Absolutely. You can adjust Air Fuel Ratio, Timing, Accel and Decell Fuel, Idle Speed, Engine size, Warm up Fuel, Cranking Fuel, Monitor your Knock Sensors, Log any of the above and graph them out. You cando 1/4 mile andDyno run simulations. On an 2007 you can adjust O2 sensor switching point (CLB) Open and Closed Loop Operation.

Owners have been modifying and tuning Harley's for over 100 years. For most of those years it wasdone without tools like SERT and a DYNO. SERT certainly makes it easier.Prior to the mid 90's dyno were far and few, yet some how we dumb folk figured it out.

Sometimes I think modern technology "Dumbs Us Down" when in reality it's suppose to help us.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:17 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Absolutely you can get a good tune diy with the SERT. My friend did his 95" HQ build and used the SERT to get a good tune. He then took the bike to a dyno and spent 5 hours tuning it further. His in-the-door tune using the SERT's capabilities gave him 101 hp and 105 tq; five hours later he had another 10 hp and 8 tq--the SERT tuning he did got him awfully close.

And for all the folks running to dynos, I have seen a lot of builds with very mediocre numbers coming out of those dyno rooms. Fact is anyone with $18K can buy a Dynojet dyno and put a guy on it; doesn't mean they know or will take the time to do the job right.

I am tuning my stock 88 following installation of HQ-0034 cams using the SERT; I will go to the dyno to confirm a/f. Unless my buddy and I buy the Twin Scan II+ first and then I won't be on a dyno tuning the bike; I will be on the road where I ride tuning the bike in real world conditions.

Quick Reply: Questions for the SERT Tuners!