Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gooping from the air cleaner, possible fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013 | 08:11 PM
yzernie
|
Road Captain
Question Gooping from the air cleaner, possible fix?

I know many of us are or have been experiencing the dreaded oil dumping on the engine from the air filter. I have had my bike into the dealer for this problem more than once. In fact, my buddies bike has it way worse than mine and after several different tries to fix it they completely tore his engine apart looking for the problem. They found nothing internally that would cause it to be happening.

According not only the dealer but from HDMC, they have no idea what may be causing the leakage but have finally admitted there is a problem. The mechanic at his dealership is a 17yr HD mechanic and knows the engines pretty well. He (and his bosses) believe it is a design flaw with the SE backing plate for the Stage 1 air cleaners. His mechanic told him a couple of the customers have changed to the S&S a/f shown below and it has eliminated the gooping all over the engine.

My question to you guys is this...do any of you have personal experience with this air cleaner and if so, does it eliminate the gooping?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-24-2013 | 10:19 PM
06Cummins
Road Captain

I took some tubing that fit snug in the 2 rubber hoses and pushed them up as far as they would go then cut them so they curve into the throttle body deeper I haven't had a problem since.

At one point oil was spraying on my side cover and saddle bag after a 15 min ride. I have an open breather. I will try to get some pics tomorrow. There is several long threads about this problem.

Old 06-24-2013 | 10:37 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member

I dont have any experience with the S&S but it looks over complicated with parts. I use the Arlen Ness Big Sucker and have never experienced any problems. It will accept just about any cover that has one hole

Old 06-24-2013 | 10:47 PM
yzernie
|
Road Captain

I had a Ness Big Sucker on for several months and it did it too. I heard they have changed some things so I'll need to look at their site and see how their backing plate compares to the SE Stage 1.

Old 06-24-2013 | 11:19 PM
slimvela
Tourer

The dreaded twin cam oil puke! Harley knows it is a design flaw with proper oil crankcase ventilation that can be "fixed" a couple of ways...I would not trust a 17yr mech that states he has never heard of it.

Some are worse than others also...this case may be one of them.

As far as the S&S job, I see external vent fittings of some sort.

Old 06-24-2013 | 11:21 PM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member

What Ynots said. That is the exact reason I chose Big Sucker. It has the vent holes built right into the backing plate to vent into the throttle body. No rubber hoses to crack and leak over time. You can also run your oil a 1/2 quart low, that stops the blowby, lots of threads on this. Good luck gettin your bike to stop puking,lol. Lemme knock on some wood so I didnt just jinx myself when I install mine in 60 or so days, WOOOHOOO!!! Stay safe everyone.

Old 06-24-2013 | 11:55 PM
yzernie
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by slimvela
I would not trust a 17yr mech that states he has never heard of it.
I don't believe I said he had never heard of it.

Old 06-25-2013 | 12:11 AM
T_Dogg80
Road Captain

I have never had any oil coming out of mine. Luckily apparently!

Old 06-25-2013 | 06:40 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

I guess all bikes are different when it comes to the oil blow-by. I had a V & H A/F, an AN Big Sucker and now a FM Solid Billet A/F and they are allowed oil to drip down into my air filter. I said enough is enough and just yesterday, ran hoses from the breather bolts to one hose and then down under my bike securing the hose end to the frame (so the oil does not come into contact with the rear tire). Now I know it will never happen again.

You guys who don't get no oil blow-by, I salute you, you are very lucky.......

As far as running 1/2 quart low on oil, I have a problem with that considering the temps these bikes are running at during the hot summers and the noise the top ends make. Less oil means more heat and noise. Oh, my 09 manual calls for 4 quarts but I have only been using 3 1/2 which puts the oil level at mid point on the hash marks sitting upright when cold.

Last edited by HDV-GLIDE; 06-25-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old 06-25-2013 | 10:47 AM
julesdain
Road Captain
Veteran: Canadian Forces

I installed a RSD aircleaner a while back. It uses a standard K&N filter but has a mod in that there are a couple of rubber tubes from the breather bolts that route any oil back into the air intake. I haven't had any oil dripping issues since installing that with the mod.

Here's the link to the kit.

http://www.rolandsands.com/products/Retro-Fit-Kit

Quick Reply: Gooping from the air cleaner, possible fix?