Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gooping from the air cleaner, possible fix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013 | 09:57 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Junkster
FXDXRuss take the tank off and the rockers and take a look. If they aren't clogged go ahead and drill them like shown. Only costs would be some gaskets.
even if they are clogged replace the breather filter with a new one and drill the holes anyways while you're in there.

Old 11-24-2013 | 10:14 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

I have similar issues on my recent build and I shoved it back on the builder. He installed the new style stamped steel umbrella valve assemblies. Has anyone tried that? I only have 60 miles on it so I can't give any info yet

Old 11-24-2013 | 10:17 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by bagman1
I have similar issues on my recent build and I shoved it back on the builder. He installed the new style stamped steel umbrella valve assemblies. Has anyone tried that? I only have 60 miles on it so I can't give any info yet
i did that as well on my 12 which leaked off the showroom floor with stock A/C assembly but since I drilled the holes while in there, I don't know for sure which made the difference. On my 09 I only drilled the holes and replaced the valve assembly with new stock assembly and the issue stopped then too so my inclination is to lean towards the holes being too small to begin with.

Old 11-24-2013 | 10:20 AM
Junkster
Road Captain

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
even if they are clogged replace the breather filter with a new one and drill the holes anyways while you're in there.
Good point.

Old 11-25-2013 | 12:16 PM
Harleybar7
Cruiser

I have a related question. On my 02 Heritage. (95 Big Bore Kit,cams, Stage 1) I had in to replace the tensioners as a precaution and they found the cams were going away so they installed a new set of Andrews cams. So here's the thing, it has never puked a drop from the AC before. Now it's blowing down the right side of the bike. What could have changed from this work being done? Shop says things loosen up with age but I don't see it going from 0 to bad over night. I can do one of the fixes listed here but would kind of like to know what changed. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 11-25-2013 | 12:18 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

without being the actual tech that worked on your bike, everything else here would be speculation.

did they change the cam plate and oil pump as well?

Old 11-25-2013 | 12:32 PM
Harleybar7
Cruiser

Not sure, I can look at my paper work tonight but I dont think they did.

Old 11-25-2013 | 01:25 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
am i missing something here? the only think holding your breather assembly on is the throttle body itself? I would think that not a wise idea considering the weight now applied to the TB 3 bolts now. Those A/C kits and covers aren't light by any means....
I was concerned about that too, but the assembly is actually quite light. Cutting the breather ears off the backplate takes a lot of weight off it. I could reduce it even more by shaving down the rest of the casting, but I don't think it is needed. I might pull it all off and weigh it just to see.

Old 11-25-2013 | 01:54 PM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member

I have had this on a few bikes, including my Buell. I have just run the hose to filet, catchcan, etc. A local builder & I were talking the other day and he suggested tha this http://www.sscycle.com/product/Twin-...ns-p24323.html would fix the problem. Anyone ever put this in when doing cams and such? curious.

Old 11-25-2013 | 01:56 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

from the S&S site

Breather reed valve assembly for 1999–up big twins with S&S Oil Pumps.

Quick Reply: Gooping from the air cleaner, possible fix?