Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gooping from the air cleaner, possible fix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013 | 01:54 PM
Dozer40
Road Warrior

I did the same as ultranutz...problem solved.

Old 11-23-2013 | 01:57 PM
Junkster
Road Captain

FXDRuss I had my rocker boxes off when i did my cams. My front umbrella valve was some what plugged up which I feel was causing some blow by. After replacing both the front and back filters and o rings it went away.

Old 11-23-2013 | 02:14 PM
Junkster
Road Captain

Looks like when I get in there again I'll be drilling them out. Easy to get to.

Old 11-23-2013 | 02:30 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

You need to be able to vent either to the atmosphere or right into the throttle body. This is what I did and it's been working fine now for over 3k miles:

Old 11-23-2013 | 06:07 PM
goldie
Tourer

Hi all,

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. Fresh SE 95", 510 S&S gear drive, stock model 06 take off heads, new se cam plate and big pump with the good umbrellas. Had AN Big sucker but I changed it out to SE ac. It started puking some at about 2000 miles, not bad but I would just wipe ac when I would check oil. I told my builder (Yellowstone Harley) and he said just run a fuel line down to ground. There is only one nipple off rear breather and I ran 3/8" id down over starter and zip tied it a couple inches below swingarm. I bought a couple rubber plugs one to seal back plate, the other went right over rear shifter shaft with just a little trim. I don't get any on swingarm and I guess my point is when it chilly out (Montana) you get quite a bit on condensation w/ the oil splooge. I really don't want to burn that in my engine. I look at it as a dust reduction project. Its dirty way up here :-) I would notice it on my carport floor when it would all condensate out overnite. I know it doesn't look fabulous but function over looks for me.

goldie

Old 11-23-2013 | 09:59 PM
fxdxruss
Road Captain

Junkster I have not seen gummed up umbrella valves. But I think that is what my buddy has going on, he has seen the rear vent puking oil in the a/c at idle with the cover off.
Russ

Old 11-23-2013 | 10:59 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master

I took an old Stage I backplate and cut off the breather ears, filled the holes with epoxy and painted it black. Bought a Kuryakyn Bluegrass breather kit. Ran the hoses up under the tank and backbone, venting by the steering neck. After that length of hose the only thing coming out was condensation, not even the least bit oily either. So I just stuffed some cheesecloth in the hoses to keep the condensation controlled yet still let it breathe.

Old 11-24-2013 | 12:27 AM
NECaveman
Tourer

My 2009 SG did not drip a drop of oil until after I had the dealer upgrade the cams and install the SE stage 1 intake kit with the SE backplate P/N 29319-08. The Service Mgr said the design of the SE backplate internal passages is the issue. The Service Mgr said he has good success with the Vance and Hines Air Filter Kit P/N 71007 that utilizes two hoses connected to the breather mount bolts. The hose outlets are in the airflow for better vacuum effect.

Old 11-24-2013 | 08:35 AM
Junkster
Road Captain

FXDXRuss take the tank off and the rockers and take a look. If they aren't clogged go ahead and drill them like shown. Only costs would be some gaskets.

Old 11-24-2013 | 09:41 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by beasleyiv
I took an old Stage I backplate and cut off the breather ears, filled the holes with epoxy and painted it black. Bought a Kuryakyn Bluegrass breather kit. Ran the hoses up under the tank and backbone, venting by the steering neck. After that length of hose the only thing coming out was condensation, not even the least bit oily either. So I just stuffed some cheesecloth in the hoses to keep the condensation controlled yet still let it breathe.

am i missing something here? the only think holding your breather assembly on is the throttle body itself? I would think that not a wise idea considering the weight now applied to the TB 3 bolts now. Those A/C kits and covers aren't light by any means....

Quick Reply: Gooping from the air cleaner, possible fix?