Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gooping from the air cleaner, possible fix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013 | 04:14 PM
Hogster 1
Tourer

Originally Posted by wlibert
I've had several different air cleaners and they all had the issue on my bike including my current Kury Street Sleeper which has a plate right at the inlet of the throttle and it still does it.

I also have the Kury street sleeper. I even tried to run a bead of silacone beside the passages to make sure the oilflow went into the channels and not between the backing plate and the smooth venturi plate. That didn't help. My last thing was to remove the venturi plate and just run it with the backing plate and that did seem to help a little. Now it has gotten cooler and some have suggested that viscosity may be our best friend.

Old 11-07-2013 | 05:46 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hogster 1
I thought I did in post #37 on page 4. If you want the oil ran into the engine I think this would be a pretty good way.

Many people say to run it to the ground...But I was wondering, does the oil get swept back up and get on the rear fender, saddlebags, or tourpac?
Zip tie the hose to the left bottom frame rail. Have the hose about 2" above the ground level and any discharge will drop to the ground before it hits any parts on the bike.

Old 11-07-2013 | 07:19 PM
harrell42
Advanced

I HAVE 2011 limited and has blow by problems and I purchased the boysen x air filter and it completely stopped the problem plus it gave it a little more throttle response now the element stays much cleaner .it uses the same vent hoses as the stock breather and is not as expensive as some of the others.
roller

Old 11-08-2013 | 06:30 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by harrell42
I HAVE 2011 limited and has blow by problems and I purchased the boysen x air filter and it completely stopped the problem plus it gave it a little more throttle response now the element stays much cleaner .it uses the same vent hoses as the stock breather and is not as expensive as some of the others.
roller
You still have blow by but now it's going into the throttle body instead of dripping into the air filter. One problem solved but still not the best scenario since oil does not belong in the throttle body. All bikes are different as far as blow by so maybe your one of the lucky ones that gets just a little mist but if not, think hard about venting it to the ground.

Old 11-08-2013 | 11:10 AM
mr396
Cruiser

So I think there is some confusion as there are really 2 issues here being blended together.

1. Is the engine ventilation. There is a design flaw on how they vent the crankcase. There are some notes in this forum about drilling a larger hole in the plate on the heads to help with the venting. If you have to run your oil down is really a band-aid fix workaround and surely points out an issue. If you have 103's and do a lot of cranking on your throttle you will see an increase in the amount of oil being vented out.

2. The next issue is the design flaw with respect to how the venting is outputted from the engine into the air cleaner/backing plate. With the SE backing plate they don't have the vent holes in the throat of the backing plate. So the oil does not get sucked into the air intake get burned, but rather it runs down the backing plate and drips out the air filter onto our bikes.

So to fix this issue really takes 2 fixes, IMHO.
1. if you remove your rocker cover you can drill a larger hole in the plate. You can find instructions in this forum on that. Now with crankcase ventilation you will always get some oil out, but not the extent of what the Harley does. This is why you need the second fix as well.
2. either modify or get a backing plate that has the vents holes directly in the throat of the backing plate

hope that helps.

Old 11-09-2013 | 09:10 PM
Hogster 1
Tourer

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Zip tie the hose to the left bottom frame rail. Have the hose about 2" above the ground level and any discharge will drop to the ground before it hits any parts on the bike.

AH Thanks!!

Thats what I needed to hear. I didn't want to polute my air but
I didn't know how to vent it where it wouldn't come back to haunt me. already have such an issue with brake dust on an Pearl White... That I couldnt imagine a oil issue too. 2 inches is enough?

Old 11-10-2013 | 07:12 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

AH Thanks!!

Thats what I needed to hear. I didn't want to polute my air but
I didn't know how to vent it where it wouldn't come back to haunt me. already have such an issue with brake dust on an Pearl White... That I couldnt imagine a oil issue too. 2 inches is enough?
Been running mine like that since early summer without any oil getting on the bike.

Old 11-11-2013 | 06:21 PM
Hogster 1
Tourer

Been running mine like that since early summer without any oil getting on the bike.

A couple of questions? First, what kind of hose are you using? 1/4 fuel line or is it vacuume hose.

Second, Do you have a pic of your bike? I was really interested in the apes. I'm going to go to something a little taller, but I didn't want them very high. I was thinking 10 or 11 in. I sure would like to get a good look at your 12's and match them up with the fairing so as to make up my mind.

Thanks

Old 11-11-2013 | 06:30 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

A couple of questions? First, what kind of hose are you using? 1/4 fuel line or is it vacuume hose.

Second, Do you have a pic of your bike? I was really interested in the apes. I'm going to go to something a little taller, but I didn't want them very high. I was thinking 10 or 11 in. I sure would like to get a good look at your 12's and match them up with the fairing so as to make up my mind.

Thanks
I used fuel line which is thicker and can take some heat since I have the line running between the heads.

I'll try to get some pictures of my bike within the next few days. The grips are slightly above the top of the fairing now.

Old 11-13-2013 | 07:25 PM
Hogster 1
Tourer

I used fuel line which is thicker and can take some heat since I have the line running between the heads.

I'll try to get some pictures of my bike within the next few days. The grips are slightly above the top of the fairing now.
Fuel line, for heat sounds about right. Did you tee them together or route them separately.

Next question is did you have to mod your wires or clutch cable, for the bars. I can't decide on 10s or 12s. But I don't want to mod wires and the CC.

Thanks
Wendell

Quick Reply: Gooping from the air cleaner, possible fix?