Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gooping from the air cleaner, possible fix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013 | 09:45 PM
fxdxruss
Road Captain

Hey yzernie
What did you end up doing or finding out was curious as my buddy has started with this problem recently. On rear breather at idle w/o a/c oil can be seen bubbling out. We were wondering if the umbrella valve had a problem on that cylinder.
Russ

Old 11-03-2013 | 10:48 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member

I had this problem with oil blow my SE intake. I did some research on forum and resolve the issue with hybrid solution of what from couple other members did. Bought a brake line which is very easy form and cut. Used epoxy to attach tubes. Used Dremel tool to slightly grind tubes to fit into intake holes. No more oil blow by! Thx to member Jim Dawson for tip on using brake line.

3/16" brake line Autozone PAX312 12" $4.99
JB Weld epoxy

Last edited by acchd; 11-03-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-03-2013 | 11:55 PM
rpking
Road Captain

I have this S&S air cleaner
watch the video it explains how the breather works

and it works well I have not had any oil dripping problems at all

Last edited by rpking; 11-04-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-04-2013 | 06:16 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by acchd
I had this problem with oil blow my SE intake. I did some research on forum and resolve the issue with hybrid solution of what from couple other members did. Bought a brake line which is very easy form and cut. Used epoxy to attach tubes. Used Dremel tool to slightly grind tubes to fit into intake holes. No more oil blow by! Thx to member Jim Dawson for tip on using brake line.

3/16" brake line Autozone PAX312 12" $4.99
JB Weld epoxy

I did the same with a Big Sucker I had on mine 2 years ago but after running that set up up for awhile, the inside of the throttle body was coated with oil and after running it hard & parking on the side stand, you could see (if you pulled the cover off) a small pool of oil sitting in the outer throttle body against the butterfly.

Not good for the engine as far as I'm concerned. Carbon build up, etc....

I throughly cleaned the interior of the throttle body and put a set up on that vents the oil/mist to the ground.

Now there's no more oil smell present, TB stays clean and whatever oil/mist blows out goes onto the ground.

Old 11-05-2013 | 09:57 AM
Hogster 1
Tourer

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
I did the same with a Big Sucker I had on mine 2 years ago but after running that set up up for awhile, the inside of the throttle body was coated with oil and after running it hard & parking on the side stand, you could see (if you pulled the cover off) a small pool of oil sitting in the outer throttle body against the butterfly.

Not good for the engine as far as I'm concerned. Carbon build up, etc....

I throughly cleaned the interior of the throttle body and put a set up on that vents the oil/mist to the ground.

Now there's no more oil smell present, TB stays clean and whatever oil/mist blows out goes onto the ground.
I still think that drilling and taping a hole in front of the butterfly would be the bestway to do this. No hoses , nothing to get loose and get into the throttle body, safe and clean.
My.02

Old 11-05-2013 | 03:55 PM
wlibert
Road Captain

I've had several different air cleaners and they all had the issue on my bike including my current Kury Street Sleeper which has a plate right at the inlet of the throttle and it still does it.

Old 11-05-2013 | 05:21 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hogster 1
I still think that drilling and taping a hole in front of the butterfly would be the bestway to do this. No hoses , nothing to get loose and get into the throttle body, safe and clean.
My.02
Not following your idea......Can you explain it in more detail?

Old 11-05-2013 | 05:55 PM
kewlhog
Advanced
Default Oil Drip

Not sure why anyone would want to route that oil back into the motor in the first place?
When these engines get oil, they already tend to pull oil past the rings because the oil gets so thin, now you want to add more oil and dilute the fuel mixture further.
This probably one of the reasons they run these bikes so lean (hot) and I know they tell you it so that they can meet emissions, well I guess so if you have burn up all those extra hydrocarbons from the oil.

Old 11-05-2013 | 05:57 PM
kewlhog
Advanced
Default Oil Drip

Has anyone actually measured how much crankcase pressure they are developing ?
I am curious to know whether bigger bore builds really bump up the pressure?

Old 11-07-2013 | 04:02 PM
Hogster 1
Tourer

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Not following your idea......Can you explain it in more detail?

I thought I did in post #37 on page 4. If you want the oil ran into the engine I think this would be a pretty good way.

Many people say to run it to the ground...But I was wondering, does the oil get swept back up and get on the rear fender, saddlebags, or tourpac?

Quick Reply: Gooping from the air cleaner, possible fix?