Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gooping from the air cleaner, possible fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013 | 09:54 PM
yzernie
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by desertwolf
A 17; year mechanic that has never heard of this? Don't let them touch your bike. Find another mechanic.
Please re-read what I posted. I did not say his mechanic had never heard of it.

Old 06-27-2013 | 10:04 PM
yzernie
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Inspector 12
20% leak is going to add crankcase pressure which would certainly cause blow by out of the breathers.
Yes, it will cause additional pressures but when riding around town, for just a hundred miles it should not be blowing out out so badly it covers the whole right side of the bike.

I have considered the option of venting it to the ground but for me that option isn't really viable. I live in a rural area and have about a half mile of dirt road to get to the house. The mist/oil/goop that comes out of the tube down by the frame would cause me some issues with the dirt sticking to the under side of the bike.

I went to the shop working on my bike this morning and talked with one of the service guys I have some (not complete) confidence in. He brought up some valid points and also said exactly what iglideUC said about the oil level. He also said some of the lastest aftermarket backing plates have the venting routed differently and although that does not stop the problem, it does substantially increase the amount of time it takes for the air filter to become saturated.

Old 06-28-2013 | 06:21 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by yzernie
Yes, it will cause additional pressures but when riding around town, for just a hundred miles it should not be blowing out out so badly it covers the whole right side of the bike.

I have considered the option of venting it to the ground but for me that option isn't really viable. I live in a rural area and have about a half mile of dirt road to get to the house. The mist/oil/goop that comes out of the tube down by the frame would cause me some issues with the dirt sticking to the under side of the bike.

I went to the shop working on my bike this morning and talked with one of the service guys I have some (not complete) confidence in. He brought up some valid points and also said exactly what iglideUC said about the oil level. He also said some of the lastest aftermarket backing plates have the venting routed differently and although that does not stop the problem, it does substantially increase the amount of time it takes for the air filter to become saturated.
As far as venting it to the ground, attach the end of the vent hose to the frame (either side) with a zip tie and let the end extend straight down about 3" under the bike. That way, the seepage will not hit the rear tire and will drop straight down onto the roadway with hitting the undercarriage.

Like I posted prior, I've tried different a/c backing plates and I still have the seepage. I'm not real comfortable in running 3 quarts of oil in a system that calls for 4. I'm at 3 1/2 now and I still get seepage after running hard. Nature of the beast from what I've learned after researching till my eyes bled on the internet.

Old 10-09-2013 | 07:05 PM
kewlhog
Advanced

Originally Posted by julesdain
I installed a RSD aircleaner a while back. It uses a standard K&N filter but has a mod in that there are a couple of rubber tubes from the breather bolts that route any oil back into the air intake. I haven't had any oil dripping issues since installing that with the mod.

Here's the link to the kit.

http://www.rolandsands.com/products/Retro-Fit-Kit
Have you looked at he carbon on the top of your pistons lately? Just curious.
I did the a similar thing until I started to get pinging that I couldn't tune out, turns out the carbon deposits were the cause of the detonation.

Old 10-09-2013 | 11:45 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by yzernie
I had a Ness Big Sucker on for several months and it did it too. I heard they have changed some things so I'll need to look at their site and see how their backing plate compares to the SE Stage 1.
The difference is the SE plate has the internal holes at the top of the intake opening and the AN Big sucker has them at the bottom of the opening, just on the edge where the velocity is more constant AND where the SE one is on the top, the heavier oil will just run down into the intake at an less controlled rate and the Ness one will just siphon off the mist as the oil floats to the top of its hole, leaving any liqued in the backing plate hole.

Old 10-10-2013 | 05:18 AM
SunCruise
Road Captain

I have the S&S. Yes it drips oil. If you take the rubber hose and rotate it so the short T is facing away from backing plate... you can extend it to ground/filter. Plug the fitting on the backing plate from the backside. Cost about $6.00 for hose and plastic hose connector.
No more drip from AC.
SC

Last edited by SunCruise; 10-10-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old 11-02-2013 | 08:47 PM
Hogster 1
Tourer

Has anyone ever considered CAREFULLY!! drilling and taping a hole in the throttle body, installing a brass barbed nipple, Teeing the rubber hoses into one, so the oil would exit the hole right in front of the butterfly?

Yes, I understand if you slip up, then it would cost a new throttle body. Just a thought...anybody trust themselves that much?

Old 11-02-2013 | 09:15 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

you could run this and route down to the ground.

Last edited by hardheaded; 11-02-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-02-2013 | 09:22 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hogster 1
Has anyone ever considered CAREFULLY!! drilling and taping a hole in the throttle body, installing a brass barbed nipple, Teeing the rubber hoses into one, so the oil would exit the hole right in front of the butterfly?

Yes, I understand if you slip up, then it would cost a new throttle body. Just a thought...anybody trust themselves that much?
You would suck unfiltered air into the engine. I would be more inclined to drill and tap a hole for a drain in the section between the head and backing plate and plug the hole to the intake from the breather

Old 11-03-2013 | 04:29 PM
Hogster 1
Tourer

Originally Posted by bagman1
You would suck unfiltered air into the engine. I would be more inclined to drill and tap a hole for a drain in the section between the head and backing plate and plug the hole to the intake from the breather

The way mine is setup you are sucking unfiltered air into the engine anyway.
Mine dumps the oil laden air inside the filter (between the filter and the trottle body). Then the oil saturates the filter and drips out.

Quick Reply: Gooping from the air cleaner, possible fix?