Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gooping from the air cleaner, possible fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013 | 03:04 PM
yzernie
|
Road Captain

Thanks Tanker2

Old 06-25-2013 | 04:27 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

You could get an air cleaner breather setup like this. http://www.debrix.com/Sifton-Braided...FQSCQgod2kwAqQ

Old 06-25-2013 | 07:24 PM
NPW
Banned

I have that S&S air cleaner.Got it because I love the old school look. As far as the oil blow-by goes, I run a rag between the filter and the inside lip of the cover about once every 2 weeks and that takes care of it. Bike is ridden every day.

Last edited by NPW; 06-25-2013 at 07:25 PM. Reason: screw up
Old 06-27-2013 | 12:16 AM
yzernie
|
Road Captain

Shop called today and there is a 20% leakdown on the rear cylinder. New on ordred and will be here soon. I'm not a mechanic but I have worked on many engines over the years but I don't think this would be causing the venting issue.

After hours of searching the net, talking with HD mechanics and some indy mechanics I think it is simply a flaw in the design of the backing plate.

Old 06-27-2013 | 07:16 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by yzernie
Shop called today and there is a 20% leakdown on the rear cylinder. New on ordred and will be here soon. I'm not a mechanic but I have worked on many engines over the years but I don't think this would be causing the venting issue.

After hours of searching the net, talking with HD mechanics and some indy mechanics I think it is simply a flaw in the design of the backing plate.
If the engine didn't spit the excess oil/moisture, etc it would not be an issue. Since it does on many bikes, unless you have the vent hoses or the copper tubing mod sticking directly into the throttle body, the seepage is going to end up on your air filter element. The only time I didn't have oil running onto my filter is when I was using the AN Big Sucker and used copper tubing to direct the seepage directly into the opening of the throttle body. No oil on the backing plate or filter period. Of course pushing all that junk into your engine may not be the best thing for it.....I posted a few days ago about venting my blow by to the ground with hoses and a T. I was not happy with all the connections and a possible leak down the road, so I ordered a different set-up last night. I will post pictures after I install it next week.

Old 06-27-2013 | 07:49 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master

20% leak is going to add crankcase pressure which would certainly cause blow by out of the breathers.

Another problems that Twin cams face is the oil drains in the heads are a little undersized. On my stage II 103 when it was apart for the build the builder slightly enlarged the drains to help relieve some of the oil that pools in the heads when running hard. When building the SE 120R in my 06 dyna, we checked the heads and that engine came from the factory with the oil drains slightly enlarged.

This problem really started back in the late 70's / early 80's when Harley started running the breather into the air cleaner, the "misting" of oil out of the air cleaner when running hard down the road actually seemed to have started then. The "fix" in those days was to return the breather to how it was for years, just venting below the bike into atmosphere. It seemed to work very well as there never seemed to be much oil drippage accumulate when the breather vented without restriction. I never noticed any oil accumulation under the bike save for the occasional single drop that would finally accumulate on the breather hose. Seems as we have gotten more eco friendly (not venting breather to atmosphere) the problem with misting has increased.

Last edited by Inspector 12; 06-27-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-27-2013 | 02:46 PM
desertwolf
Road Master

I know many of us are or have been experiencing the dreaded oil dumping on the engine from the air filter. I have had my bike into the dealer for this problem more than once. In fact, my buddies bike has it way worse than mine and after several different tries to fix it they completely tore his engine apart looking for the problem. They found nothing internally that would cause it to be happening.

According not only the dealer but from HDMC, they have no idea what may be causing the leakage but have finally admitted there is a problem. The mechanic at his dealership is a 17yr HD mechanic and knows the engines pretty well. He (and his bosses) believe it is a design flaw with the SE backing plate for the Stage 1 air cleaners. His mechanic told him a couple of the customers have changed to the S&S a/f shown below and it has eliminated the gooping all over the engine.

My question to you guys is this...do any of you have personal experience with this air cleaner and if so, does it eliminate the gooping?

Thanks in advance.

A 17; year mechanic that has never heard of this? Don't let them touch your bike. Find another mechanic.

Old 06-27-2013 | 03:02 PM
aces25
Road Master

Crankcase breather options are out there including homemade stuff. DK Custom Products has 2 setups, breather bolts and a complete breather system. The goal is to keep the hot oil and air from entering your intake. http://dkcustomproducts.com/All-Twin...ngines_c76.htm

I have the breather bolts. I do get a little bit of oil mist, but it cleans up in a few seconds with a microfiber and quick detailer. I'd rather have it vent to atmosphere then put it back into the intake.

Old 06-27-2013 | 03:17 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by aces25
Crankcase breather options are out there including homemade stuff. DK Custom Products has 2 setups, breather bolts and a complete breather system. The goal is to keep the hot oil and air from entering your intake. http://dkcustomproducts.com/All-Twin...ngines_c76.htm

I have the breather bolts. I do get a little bit of oil mist, but it cleans up in a few seconds with a microfiber and quick detailer. I'd rather have it vent to atmosphere then put it back into the intake.
There are cleaner options out there..I used those bolts once, it looked like I washed the right side of my bike with motor oil...DK is a stand up vendor, they refunded my purchase price in full.

Someone posted this set up a few days ago and I ordered it yesterday. Low profile and one outlet to the ground. It should suit my purposes fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130427528712

Old 06-27-2013 | 03:40 PM
iglideUC
Road Captain

All my young life (40 years of breathing + another 10 from the 80s. Wow that was a fun time!) I have always been taught that oil levels should be halfway between add and full on any machine. Why does everyone state that the oil should be at the full mark and that it would hurt the engine if not? Just asking cause i feel like i missed something somewhere. oh wait maybe when my brain was on vacation in the 80s

Quick Reply: Gooping from the air cleaner, possible fix?