Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gooping from the air cleaner, possible fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013 | 01:50 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

you would think so but it really has nothing to do with compression or pressure for that matter. It's all about draining as much of that top end oil back down to the bottom before it has a chance to wind up in your air cleaner.

Old 03-15-2014 | 12:03 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Ultra nutz. Now as time has passed can you honestly say youve noticed a big difference after drilling out the holes? Im about to reassemble my new build in about a week after my crank comes back from getting the Timkin upgrade.
BTW, the issue with the last build was too much clearance in the piston to wall, ring end gap and the last guy put the wrong pistons in. He used OEM cast flat top with MVA heads.
Just curious, I think Im going to drill them out to be safe.

Old 03-15-2014 | 06:02 AM
OU812
Tourer

Bookmark page.............................................. .................................................. ..................

Old 03-15-2014 | 08:11 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by bagman1
Ultra nutz. Now as time has passed can you honestly say youve noticed a big difference after drilling out the holes? Im about to reassemble my new build in about a week after my crank comes back from getting the Timkin upgrade.
BTW, the issue with the last build was too much clearance in the piston to wall, ring end gap and the last guy put the wrong pistons in. He used OEM cast flat top with MVA heads.
Just curious, I think Im going to drill them out to be safe.
No more oily smell when the motor is hot, no more oil dripping out of my air filter onto my pant leg, no more oil in my throttle body. I need to pull the plugs and stick my borehole camera down there and take a peek at the pistons now that I've run a couple of tanks of fuel through it with MMO additive. When the motor is hot after a 20+ mile run when I park it, I see 1, maybe 2 drops of oil come out of the drain hose.

On a side note, I was concerned with the comments from the more experienced guys telling me about the filter I put on the end of the drain hose with it clogging up and causing other issues so I removed the filter.

Old 03-15-2014 | 04:08 PM
varidian
Intermediate

Well, Ive read the threads and I have the same problem with the SE backing plate and K&N filter. Fed up wiping the timing case.
Changing stuff for other filters is expensive and no guarantee of a solution. Don't trust myself with soldering /glueing copper tubes etc. I use the standard Road king cover( rugby ball shaped) So I cleaned the bottom of the inner cover and put some self adhesive velcro on it, about an inch or so long. Then a inch or so length of sponge between the grippy velcro and the bottom of the actual filter element, the velcro holds it nice and firmly.
Well I know its just stopping the symptoms but so far 1000 or so miles and no drips. I suppose when it does get saturated just easily remove and replace with a fresh piece or clean it.
Anyway it will do till someone comes up with a mod for the SE back plate thats easy to sort, unless you know of one already.

Cheers

Old 03-15-2014 | 04:16 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master

I got tired of having the breather hose setup dumping oil on the ground, and I wanted to run a ventilator without modding it and having that hose gimmick.

I took the top apart yesterday and drilled the holes. So far so good. It's really dumb how small those holes are. Here they are drilled out:

Old 03-15-2014 | 04:20 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

What size hole did you drill it out to?

Old 03-15-2014 | 04:21 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master

⅛" as indicated by Ultranutz