Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gooping from the air cleaner, possible fix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013 | 09:46 PM
fxdxruss
Road Captain

Hey UN I have found just using my right knee and leaning it up against the a/c cover will solve that problem.

I do not think that cutting the ears off the backing plate would work well for the carb model but have no idea what holds the throttle body on for the FI models.
Would like to hear from the member how that works out, but I still do not like going up hill with the vent tube.
Russ

Last edited by fxdxruss; 11-25-2013 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-26-2013 | 01:02 AM
beasleyiv
Road Master

I still have the factory top brace that is removed when doing a Stage I. I just went out and put that on to solidly mount the TB. While the AC doesn't weigh much, the TBW and all that crap is also hanging off there and it all is basically hanging from where it all mounts to the heads at the ports. It's all solid now. I'll probably do the drill thing at some point.

Old 11-26-2013 | 07:21 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by beasleyiv
I still have the factory top brace that is removed when doing a Stage I. I just went out and put that on to solidly mount the TB. While the AC doesn't weigh much, the TBW and all that crap is also hanging off there and it all is basically hanging from where it all mounts to the heads at the ports. It's all solid now. I'll probably do the drill thing at some point.
Good move sir...

Old 12-17-2013 | 12:17 AM
Hogster 1
Tourer

Originally Posted by fxdxruss
Google " venting breather from the heads" or something like that and start reading.
No manufactures ever vented the crankcase back into the motor till the EPA got involved.
Do what feels comfortable for you, both ways work the motors still fire up.
Just throwing my 2 cents in.
Russ
Sorry Russ, I guess that I made that about as clear as mud! The oil as it spits out of the head IS pure oil. It is later once it starts to cool that it gets condensation, yeah, that is milky and pretty ugly. What I was thinking, is that the oil that was still warm and not contaminated could go back, and the stuff that went over the hump would go to the ground.

Old 12-18-2013 | 04:02 PM
fxdxruss
Road Captain

I'm not an expert, but it would seem to me that if the umbrella valve and top end return system were functioning all you would get is some vapor and condensation that's it. As far as running it up hill so that it can go back in. My thoughts are if it makes it out of the motor I don't want to put it back in.
Russ

Old 12-18-2013 | 04:38 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by fxdxruss
I'm not an expert, but it would seem to me that if the umbrella valve and top end return system were functioning all you would get is some vapor and condensation that's it. As far as running it up hill so that it can go back in. My thoughts are if it makes it out of the motor I don't want to put it back in.
Russ
well therein lies the issue. The return hole for oil to drain back down into the motor is too small. There are a ton of threads on here about drilling out the hole to a larger size to eliminate this. I've done it on both my 09 and my 12 ONLY because I was going in there for something else. I wouldn't pull the rocker boxes, support plates, and valves off just to drill the hole. Both times, the issue ceased to exist afterwards.

Old 12-30-2013 | 07:42 PM
ConfuciusSay
Banned

Great thread. I have an 09 Street Glide w 34K miles and it has been pushing out oil through my AC (SE Stage 1). Lots of good information, greatly appreciated.

Old 12-31-2013 | 11:22 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by bagman1
I have similar issues on my recent build and I shoved it back on the builder. He installed the new style stamped steel umbrella valve assemblies. Has anyone tried that? I only have 60 miles on it so I can't give any info yet
Here is an update on my situation although its useless. The new breather system did absolutely NOTHING! The builder I used is a piece of work so he will be getting yelped here real soon, maybe even file a complaint with the BAR
After all the innput I have been getting back the problem may very well lie in the rocker box gasket and drain back holes, from the increased pressures associated with such a big build. Before I go and open up the top end I am going to run the breathers to the ground. I rigged it up so the hole to the tube is about at 2:00 and the lines run up and under the tank and down the frame tube. Tomorrow is a hard run coming up so that will be a good test, if it works good I will leave it for now.
BTW, Does anyone think Cometic gaskets are better than HD ones? In all my years I rarely ever found someone that had a better gasket than OEM.
Happy New Year All!

Old 12-31-2013 | 11:27 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by bagman1
Here is an update on my situation although its useless. The new breather system did absolutely NOTHING! The builder I used is a piece of work so he will be getting yelped here real soon, maybe even file a complaint with the BAR
After all the innput I have been getting back the problem may very well lie in the rocker box gasket and drain back holes, from the increased pressures associated with such a big build. Before I go and open up the top end I am going to run the breathers to the ground. I rigged it up so the hole to the tube is about at 2:00 and the lines run up and under the tank and down the frame tube. Tomorrow is a hard run coming up so that will be a good test, if it works good I will leave it for now.
BTW, Does anyone think Cometic gaskets are better than HD ones? In all my years I rarely ever found someone that had a better gasket than OEM.
Happy New Year All!
has nothing to do with "big build". Stock 96 and 103 bikes do it just most never notice it with a stock air cleaner. Change out the a/c and you'll likely see oil from time to time dripping.

if you want it to stop, pull the rocker boxes off, pull the rocker plates off, drill out the 2 holes, put new EGR kit back in, and be on your way.

Brand of things like oil, gaskets, filters, etc. all come down to a matter of preference. HD either designed the motor and every single component used in it's makeup or had it all jobbed out, doesn't matter. the components that come stock are just as good as anything else out there. Usually cometic comes into play when you're dealing with different size gaskets for different parts of the motors.

Old 12-31-2013 | 12:19 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

You would t think the higher pressures associated with 10.5:1 would increase pressures on the downforce over a stock 9:1?

Quick Reply: Gooping from the air cleaner, possible fix?