Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatically going to single cylinder mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 09:36 PM
fireman9170
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im gonna look into these fans. backordered though

Old 06-24-2013, 12:53 PM
Hurricane19
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Does my 2010 Road King have this feature? My bike has stage III 103" big bore so would it still have work?

Old 07-18-2013, 04:36 PM
TX_Jester
Cruiser

Originally Posted by vistavette
I leave mine on all the time, works great. What don't you like about it? If you're sitting in traffic long enough for it to kick on it would seem to me that you should leave it on. Harley does say that it's there for comfort, not because the bike needs.
I'm in Texas an on my way to work this morning, at every light I stopped at (about 3) after a 14 mile highway ride, mine immediately kicked into single cylinder mode. Air temp was showing 85 degrees ( and trust me that is cool for us this time of year).

To me it is aggravating as well as I don't like the loping mode the engine goes into on the sindle cylinder. So if Harley says its for comfort (which I will look into for myself) I may consider turning mine off as I see no different in heat coming off of engine in or out of single cylinder mode. My two cents worth.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:39 PM
TX_Jester
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Boyer8
It kicks on when the front head hits 290 degrees and you are sitting still in neutral or the clutch engaged. Anything to help protect the engine and extend it's life the better. But to each his own. I'd be curious to know what is to hot for the front cylinder to hit in temp?
If it's based on the front cylinder temp, then how does turning off the rear cylinder protect the motor? The front cylinder is still pumping and not cooling down any.......I don't quite buy what it is helping (as far as protection or cooling of the overall engine). But that is just my opinion, not saying you are wrong, just trying to understand the logic.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:30 PM
fireman9170
Road Captain

seems like something they did, that they thought we would think works better than it does

Old 07-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Roger That
Road Warrior

Before I did a stage 1, it would come on at every light after the bike is warmed up....even in low 70's. it has not come on once since.

When it is engaged, the rear cylinder supposedly blows air on the front cylinder cooling it down. How much it actually works......your guess is as good as mine.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:06 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,350 Likes on 2,531 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
Trade it in on a Softail, they are ready to rumble at a hairs notice. Im always sitting at the next bar waiting for you touring guys to show cause your engines have to restart to leave every light, lol!
hah, funny guy. read your owner's manual. softails have eitms too

Originally Posted by Roger That
When it is engaged, the rear cylinder supposedly blows air on the front cylinder cooling it down. How much it actually works......your guess is as good as mine.
what? and how is it supposed to do that? what happens is that there is no fire in the rear cylinder, so the rear cylinder acts as an air pump, cooling down the rear cylinder, which is supposed to translate to a cooler feeling by the operator since you are sitting over the rear cylinder.

Last edited by skratch; 07-18-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:57 PM
ieatchickens
Road Warrior
Received 609 Likes on 309 Posts

Duplicate post

Old 07-18-2013, 09:57 PM
ieatchickens
Road Warrior
Received 609 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by TX_Jester
I'm in Texas an on my way to work this morning, at every light I stopped at (about 3) after a 14 mile highway ride, mine immediately kicked into single cylinder mode. Air temp was showing 85 degrees ( and trust me that is cool for us this time of year).

To me it is aggravating as well as I don't like the loping mode the engine goes into on the sindle cylinder. So if Harley says its for comfort (which I will look into for myself) I may consider turning mine off as I see no different in heat coming off of engine in or out of single cylinder mode. My two cents worth.
The air temp ain't what matters. I guarantee your cylinder heads aren't near 85 degrees. Your engine has control explosions of gas, compression caused by a spark. The engine creates the heat. It doesn't matter much the temperature of surrounding air that matters its the movement of the air that removes the heat from the cylinder that matters.

The rear cylinder doesn't get as much air as the front cylinder so that's why they shut that cylinder down.