Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatically going to single cylinder mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 11:24 AM
fireman9170
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it was only 82 degrees when it came on!! Im not used to this feature. For those asking why I want to cut it off, if you've never heard it run with it enabled, it sounds terrible. I was only stopped on the interstate for a very short time and it kicks in. If it was 100 degrees out I would understand, but both times Ive noticed it was in the low 80's. Thanks for the help, that offered it.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:34 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 576 Likes on 318 Posts

Trade it in on a Softail, they are ready to rumble at a hairs notice. Im always sitting at the next bar waiting for you touring guys to show cause your engines have to restart to leave every light, lol!

Old 06-23-2013, 01:02 PM
fireman9170
Road Captain

naa, I'll just disable it. Rarely do I get caught sitting still in that much heat!!

Old 06-23-2013, 01:10 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,599 Likes on 1,613 Posts

got rid of cat and freeflowing mufflers with vieds and never comes on. although i do leave it enabled.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Boyer8
Cruiser

It kicks on when the front head hits 290 degrees and you are sitting still in neutral or the clutch engaged. Anything to help protect the engine and extend it's life the better. But to each his own. I'd be curious to know what is to hot for the front cylinder to hit in temp?

Old 06-23-2013, 01:20 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tx_Rider
Install one of these. I have one and my bike does not go into the EITMS mode while the fans are on.

http://wardspartswerks.com/cooling-fans.html

I agree. Just installed mine yesterday. No more single cylinder bop :-).

Old 06-23-2013, 01:23 PM
fireman9170
Road Captain

are the fans difficult to install? how long did it take?

Old 06-23-2013, 01:25 PM
Grind
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm never in that much of a hurry that I'm worried about the half a nanosecond it takes for the EITMS to disengage, at a stoplight.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:40 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fireman9170
About 40-50 minutes. Just getting the wires run the way you want takes the most time.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:17 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I listened to the youtube video, that thing sounds like a supercharged turbine engine taking off.

Not that it matters when your engine is running hot, but curious to know if you get strange looks from people when you flip it on.
It's fairly noticeable when the engine isn't running. It spins up kinda slowly so it takes a few seconds to get to maximum speed and when I turn the ignition on I hit the start button immediately so I never hear any noise at start up. The only time I hear them is when I shut the ignition off-I hear the fans spin down for a second or two.

Originally Posted by tryus
It's not that loud really, it does have that turbine sound, but it's not loud, it just sounds like what it is, two small high speed fans. With it, your engine will never even get that hot, much less of that baking heat coming up between your legs, and the oil temp stays much cooler. The trick to the fcs is the air is directed on/through the heads, where most of the heat is produced. FCS makes for a much more comfortable ride!
What he said.

it was only 82 degrees when it came on!! Im not used to this feature. For those asking why I want to cut it off, if you've never heard it run with it enabled, it sounds terrible. I was only stopped on the interstate for a very short time and it kicks in. If it was 100 degrees out I would understand, but both times Ive noticed it was in the low 80's. Thanks for the help, that offered it.
I've had mine kick on it the 70's. It all depends on how long the engine is idling, if there's a breeze blowing across the engine, if the sun is shining, etc. With no air flow the cylinder heads will heat up eventually.

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
Trade it in on a Softail, they are ready to rumble at a hairs notice. Im always sitting at the next bar waiting for you touring guys to show cause your engines have to restart to leave every light, lol!
LOL

naa, I'll just disable it. Rarely do I get caught sitting still in that much heat!!
That's cool. If you get caught for a long time and you're worried about cylinder head temp you can always enable the EITMS. However it will never kick out til you get moving again.

Mine took me a couple of hours. I pulled the tank to run the wires in the wiring race beneath it. Mounting the fans--pull the horn, place the fan bracket where the horn was then put the horn on top of the fan bracket and bolt it up.

Originally Posted by Grind
I'm never in that much of a hurry that I'm worried about the half a nanosecond it takes for the EITMS to disengage, at a stoplight.
You're right. The change over is not noticeable. I use to blip my throttle to disengage but it really wasn't necessary.

Quick Reply: Automatically going to single cylinder mode