Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatically going to single cylinder mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 08:06 AM
basselope
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a thought: Unless the bike was delivered straight from the crate, it may have been turned on by folks playing with the features.
That said, there seems to be a lot of folks out there reporting there bike was delivered with this feature enabled. I can't confirm right now whether or not mine was and the 2012 owner's manual (pg150) doesn't address the factory setting, but tends to indicate that it is enabled by default.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:28 AM
Tx_Rider
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Install one of these. I have one and my bike does not go into the EITMS mode while the fans are on.

http://wardspartswerks.com/cooling-fans.html

Old 06-23-2013, 08:35 AM
cmtaylor
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
My dealer explained EITMS during bike walk-thru and asked me if I wanted it on/off...must not be happening at all dealerships, but I thought this was part of your bike's delivery/check-out process..??
What Iceman said...

Old 06-23-2013, 09:01 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I leave mine on. It is there to protect your engine, soon as you twist the throttle to start from a stop it should dis-enguage without sputtering or dying, I would take it to the dealer if it dies, something is wrong with it.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:07 AM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 418 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by vistavette
I leave mine on all the time, works great. What don't you like about it? If you're sitting in traffic long enough for it to kick on it would seem to me that you should leave it on. Harley does say that it's there for comfort, not because the bike needs.
Ah,... another person that has read their owners manual.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:17 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

Dude,

get some Xieds, or add a fuel enrichment device of your choice, take some heat off the motor and turn the ETMS OFF. ETMS, was never a feature back in the old days of having a Harley. I been riding 20 + years and have had multiple Harleys, if it gets too hot, then either adjust the fuel to cool the engine down some, or pull over and have something cold to drink and let it cool down, naturally. Its not a car, where it is water cooled and has A/C.

I've never melted an engine or had one sieze due to heat. I have had to pull over and just take a break. Don't let petty BS issues mess with your ride.

I have a 12 RG CVO, the 110 is a hot running momma in stock form, my fuel enrichment device is a Power Vision, my mileage is approx 40 MPG, my ETMS is turned off and i do not experience heat issues. Just returned from a 9500 mile ride from Mid Tenn, through the southwest of Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and Utah, Nevada (Hwy 50 ride) & California, no heat issues running 90+ in the desert, no heat issues in San Fran, or LA traffic, no heat issues any where. Heat can be eliminated, you just have to WANT to do it.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:18 AM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i hav heard of this EITMS, which models have it? just the softtails, touring or all?

Old 06-23-2013, 09:26 AM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tx_Rider
Install one of these. I have one and my bike does not go into the EITMS mode while the fans are on.

http://wardspartswerks.com/cooling-fans.html
+1 When I installed mine last year it was 85* in my shop. I let the bike idle with the fans off til EITMS kicked in. I turned the fans on and a few minutes later both cylinders were firing and bike idled normally. EITMS hasn't kicked in since. I ride in a fair amount of stop and go traffic and summertime temps are close to 100*.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:41 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,593 Likes on 2,720 Posts

Originally Posted by smithbrl
+1 When I installed mine last year it was 85* in my shop. I let the bike idle with the fans off til EITMS kicked in. I turned the fans on and a few minutes later both cylinders were firing and bike idled normally. EITMS hasn't kicked in since. I ride in a fair amount of stop and go traffic and summertime temps are close to 100*.
I listened to the youtube video, that thing sounds like a supercharged turbine engine taking off.

Not that it matters when your engine is running hot, but curious to know if you get strange looks from people when you flip it on.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:52 AM
tryus
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I listened to the youtube video, that thing sounds like a supercharged turbine engine taking off.

Not that it matters when your engine is running hot, but curious to know if you get strange looks from people when you flip it on.
It's not that loud really, it does have that turbine sound, but it's not loud, it just sounds like what it is, two small high speed fans. With it, your engine will never even get that hot, much less of that baking heat coming up between your legs, and the oil temp stays much cooler. The trick to the fcs is the air is directed on/through the heads, where most of the heat is produced. FCS makes for a much more comfortable ride!

Last edited by tryus; 06-23-2013 at 09:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Automatically going to single cylinder mode