Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacket Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:55 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 313 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Jacket Help Please

Been looking for a new jacket and want to do something here in a few days. I live in N. Florida and in the summer, whoo hooo damn it man it gets yes, HOT.
Yet in the spring and fall, it's cool in the early morning hours for that ride to work and it cools down a quite a bit later at night even in the summer.

I've been looking at three:

HD Switchback

Foxcreek Perforated Leather

Foxcreek Vented Racing Jacket

I'd like to find one that can perhaps serve as an all purpose jacket for this year anyway. I've spent a ton of cash on the new Road Glide and more to follow lol.
The Vented Racing Jacket from Fox Creek has a removable liner, hidden neck warmer and of course, is vented for those warmer days. It seems to fit the bill but wondering about those god awful hot days. I've also got an HD Racing Nylon Jacket which is ok but doesn't offer much in the way of protection.

Thanks

Old 02-26-2007, 01:34 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Jacket Help Please

I just got a summer jacket leather and mesh from:
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/d..._ID=SV431-8002#
and a perforated leather jacket I will use below 80 degreesfrom:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...amp;division=1#
Both jackets were recommended from riders on this forum. They both have armor. I was just going to buythe perforated jacket for all seasons, down here in SW Florida, but the Power Voodoo was on closeout sale for agreat price.
Tom

Old 02-26-2007, 01:40 AM
jwygo
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wore the black leather and tee shirts for years. Last year I decided to get rid of the uniform and look for "real" motorcycle clothing. My criteria: reflective, armor, mesh/non-mesh, comfortable to wear, not-black and safer.

I ended up focusing on the Tourmaster web site. I bought a Flex Jacket. Removable panels let me ride in 100 degrees (I tested it on a 500 mile run from Denver to Wichita). Next morning I zipped the panels in and was toasty at 55 degrees. A zip in rain jacket works great. Mesh works much better than the zipper panels in many jackets at the front and back for summertime riding. And you can actually see me on the bike at night.

Don't fall for the mesh jackets without armor. They are a waist of good money when you can get something like this for $75 more.

The mesh actually keeps you cooler than a tee shirt. The air flow gets in around your torso and evaporates sweat without the blast furnace effect of riding in a tee shirt. You don't need to drink as much water. It keeps thesun directly off your arms and body. I love it. It lists for $199 but I got it for $175 at www.newenough.com.

While I'm at it, I bought a camel-bak and now use it during long distance touring. I can grab the mouth piece and drink as much as I want at any time between stops. Fill it up with ice water in the morning andre-charge it as the day goes by.

So now instead of looking cool and being uncomfortable, I wear the proper gear, feel much safer, don't get tired as fast, am more comfortable and enjoy the ride much more if it's longer than a couple of hours.

Motorcycle Cruiser mag has a good review of several jackets at www.motorcyclecruiser.com They have tons of articles on many different pieces of gear.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:51 AM
Grover
Admin "Kicking The Crap Out Of Spammers"

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

I have and use the switchback. I think it is a great jacket.

If you want leather, go Fox Creek.

The Switchback has armor and mesh, but can be made warmer by zipping in the panel. Live in southern California. Inland can be hot in the summer while the coast is 60 degrees. The Switchback fills the bill.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:19 AM
PSO169
Road Master

I bought the HD mesh jacket the day I picked up my Ultra. I rode with it all summer in Texas. I like it because it fit, I like the fact that it has armor in the sleeves and shoulders. It was as comfortable as riding in a T-shirt.
Jeff

Old 02-26-2007, 02:36 AM
ahab211
Cruiser

Hi, Johnny Rocket mesh jacket with reinforced kevlar elbows and shoulders with tailbone skid pad is an excellant value and great in warm weather.It's very light and you don't feel bulky at all. Just my opinion!

Old 02-26-2007, 04:31 AM
onlythebest
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: tmitchellof PG

I just got a summer jacket leather and mesh from:
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/d..._ID=SV431-8002#
and a perforated leather jacket I will use below 80 degreesfrom:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...amp;division=1#
Both jackets were recommended from riders on this forum. They both have armor. I was just going to buythe perforated jacket for all seasons, down here in SW Florida, but the Power Voodoo was on closeout sale for agreat price.
Tom
Mitchell I live near Daytona and as you know it gets toasty! Is that summer mesh leather too hot? I'm looking for a decent jacket for the 100 degree summers!

Old 02-26-2007, 08:35 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Thanks, I checked those out & they'll be on my list of possibilities.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

That's a damn nice jacket. Thanks.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:59 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

POS 169 I also have one of those jackets, but do you know where I can find a pair of chapps like it. I,ve asked everywere to no avail. Does anyone make a pair of perforated chapps? THanks Dan

Quick Reply: Jacket Help Please