Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sealing the fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:38 AM
Bill918
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sealing the fuel tank

A buddy of mine has a 02 Dyna and put a dent in the gas tank. He wants to repaint the tins and was asking me about the process for sealing the inside of the fuel tank. Is this necessary on an older tank, and if so, how do you go about doing it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks as always.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:29 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Sealing the fuel tank

I did it just once and will never do it again.Years ago,with leaking tanks,and after cleaning them out I forget how many times,then poured in the tank sealer as per instructions.Anyway a week later the bike died,gas leaked between the sealer and tank it all layed over the fuel spigot,and that was the end of riding that day.I would take to a dealer before you spin a thread.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:08 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used tank sealers numerous times on automotive tanks that had seam leaks, with no problems.
The tank has to be CLEAN.
I used actone and mek to fluch tank, as gas does leave a risdue behind.
Then used a chemical metal etching chemical (such as paint prep used before painting).
follwed the directions of the paint prep.
Then poured in the coating chemical.
alternatively if it isn't leaking, you can clen the weld area on the outside, smooth down the rough weld dribbles and use metal etch and then epoxy glue that is gasoline proof.
Then paint the tank.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The trick is to make sure the inside of the tank is free of any residue. Some have gone to an extreme of taking the tank to a radiator shop and having the tank boiled. This doesn't do wonders for the paint, but it does clean the inside. Then the coating can be applied on the inside per instructions after the tank is dry. Had this done to an old Matchless tank......repainted afterwards, but that was planned, and all went well. No problems.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:39 AM
pavermanter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did this back in the 80's. Got a kit from local shop I think it came with three bottles of crap, an acid salution , i think like a nuetralizer or somthin like that, and the sealant.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:07 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The sealing of a fuel tank is only to prevent rusting not stop leaks. Funny, years ago everybody said it was a must, been watching these biker shows now for years, never once saw any of these guys even talk about it much less do it. If you look in any new bike they are not coated, I guess if you bought a cheap rustable steel tank it might be needed.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:50 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

If its not leaking and has some rust buildup on the inside,just clean the tank and don't seal it.Can take tank to a radiator shop and have it cleaned or put some kerosene and a whole bunch of nuts and small bolts in tank and shake it to loosen the rust up.Lot easier to take to radiator shop since your going to repaint it.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The product is called Kreem. It is a three part solution. One acid etches thetank, the second cleans and the third coats. It is avalible almost everywhere.I have used it about four times and all four times it came out. One time as soon as I started it. Followed the instructions to a tee.The MOCO also stopped coating tanks forthe same reason. All tank now have no liners.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:24 PM
pavermanter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, thats it kreem, please excuse me i have CRS (cant remember sh*t)

Old 02-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think we have a little of that, no problem.

Quick Reply: Sealing the fuel tank