Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tools in the garage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:32 PM
F35Chappy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tools in the garage?

I was just wondering what kind of Harley/motorcycle specific tools you experienced guys or gals would suggest having on hand in the garage? I have lots of tools for working on cars and trucks so, the basic wrenches, sockets etc. are covered. I just started riding late last year and the only motorcycle specific tool I have purchased is a high-rise lift. Thanks in advance for your time and I greatly appreciate your advice.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:48 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a basic cycle frame jack, been looking to add a full size table lift but cannot justify it yet. I was a wrench for a long time so I amassed a lot of Snap-On and Mac Matco tooling, some Craftsman, some the latest Kobalt stuff from Lowes isn't too bad either. For bits like TORX or high stress Phillips I use SnapOn as they do seem to last better and not explode when I need to press my luck on tight screws.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:03 PM
F35Chappy
Intermediate

I need better TORX tips. I have a lot of Craftsman and Kobalt tools and they all work great for me. I have a decent collection of air tools and a good enough air compressor. I have tons of gunsmithing tools but, those obviously don't do me any good on the bike!

Old 06-20-2013, 08:12 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Very few external parts on a HD need specific tools. Engine work yes. But even then there or other options.

I have only two specific HD tools. The belt tension gauge and the shock wrench
to set preload. But they sit as I use the half twist on the belt and an old metric wrench that has better leverage than the HD one.

Last edited by lh4x4; 06-20-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:17 PM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I assume you have inch and foot pound torque wrenches. If not, buy them. If you're working on an EVO, buy the ratcheting rocker box and intake manifold wrenches (Mac sells them but by now, i"m sure others have them) and at least the 1/4 inch, long ball head allen socket. I generally replace torx fasteners with Allen when possible. Buy the HD shop manual, not a haynes or clymer or whatever. I have yet to open up a 2 cam so I'm no help there.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:29 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Torx 27 bit for sure. Used in several areas including the primary cover.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:32 PM
F35Chappy
Intermediate

Covered on the torque wrenches and purchased the .pdf version of the service manual. I have read tons of great threads on this forum and possibly the greatest tool I have used! Nothing too special about my ride 05 Road King w/just over 25K miles now.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 PM
Recycled
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Other than the usual, I bought a few HD specific tools the past few weeks. I prefer to do all my own wrenching and when it came time to change out the cams, I decided to do it right and buy the cam bearing remove/install tools. Took all the guess work and uncertainty out of the job. Where I drew the line was the $79. plus tax the dealer wanted for the cam lock tool. I'll need to find a work around for that by tomorrow because I refuse to be robbed and pay that much for a dinky piece of molded delrine. Anyone got a solution for that locking tool? I picked up a 24" bolt cutter on sale at Princess Auto yesterday for $19.99. It worked perfectly for cutting out the old pushrods. Sure a 30'" would have cut easier but the 24" fit better. I would have had this job buttoned up today but my inch/pound torque wrench went **** up and I'll have to get a new one tomorrow. I need wheel bearing tools as well. This is a good thread and I'm interested to hear what tooling others have bought or want to buy. Theres always something you need for these bikes!

Last edited by Recycled; 06-20-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:06 PM
F35Chappy
Intermediate

Recycled if your in need of a decent torque wrench. They have loaner ones at autozone. I think it is a $50 deposit. If you don't return it, they don't care and you have a OEM torque wrench for cheap.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:17 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,572 Likes on 2,890 Posts

No MC specific tools. I do want a belt tension gauge though. My finger is good enough for that right now.

Quick Reply: Tools in the garage?