Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inner Primary Bearing Replacement Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 10:03 PM
mr396
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you replace the transmission seal? do you have to take the belt and belt sprocket off to get at it?

I never used that much heat at any one time and allowed it to cool between. I am sure it would get hotter than that during normal running. I had electrical tape covering the splines to make sure I did not damage them, at least something covering them to give them some protection. It barely curled/melted the electrical tape, maybe a 1/4" closest to the race. I also put water on it to see how hot it got. it barely sizzled if at all. According to GG instructions you could heat it up but keep it below 200 degF.

I tried to rotate the clutch bearing and I can't seem to get it to spin. Makes me a little nervous about it. Dont know if it is because there is pressure on it due to the spring plate. If I have the clutch assembly out, but not disassembled, should I be able to spin the bearing?

Old 06-21-2013, 10:41 PM
MOTOX56
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do not have to remove sprocket to replace seal. You can see the seal in your photo of the sprocket, seal goes on the shaft and in the collar the sprocket nut threads onto.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:04 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,966 Likes on 4,159 Posts

You are OK if you kept the heat to that level. Any bearing or harden race should be kept to a maximum of hot oil temperature that the special pots they make for this purpose. 200 degree F. is OK. In my picture, 8,9 and 13 were the three I was referring to above. The 13 is the one most venerable to heat. Once the clutch drum is pulled, it is necessary to carefully a turn or so at a time release the clutch pressure Bellville spring and carefully remove the drive and driven disk noting those little rings, so it all goes back together same way and correct . Then you can inspect bearing since it has no seals. It only spins or is in use when clutch lever is pulled like I said above. I would look at it. Some big chunks (in my opinion ) got into IPB bearing from somewhere, and they have gotten into clutch hub bearing.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:53 PM
mr396
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I decided to replace the mainshaft seal (outboard side of transmission by inner race). That was a about has hard as pulling off the inner race. Mr seal remover was too big to fit in there. I put a couple of small screws in the seal (at someone's suggestion), tried pulling on it and nothing. I finally wrapped some steel wire around the heads of the screws, wrapped the wire around the inner race puller (without the long bolts and horseshoe shim) and starting using that as the puller. After three tries it finally came out. I used 4 strands of wire around each screw the last time. A single one broke. it started moving with two strands and the wire finally broke as well.

To install the seal, I taped up the threads on the shaft, lubed the ID of the seal, and used the horseshoe shim (that was used to remove the inner race) to tap the seal back in.

Installing the race was alot easy then taking it off. It was hard to see and measure to make sure I got the spacing of the inner race to 0.1-0.125" from the main sprocket. I used the horseshoe shim from the puller to make sure I had enough space to get it in and out, barley. I did use a steel ruler (but measurements didn't go out to the end), and marked it with a steel pic and measure it with calibers. I was in the range and barley able to get the horseshoe shim behind it.

Installed the new rotor for the SE compensator. Put new O-ring on the starter and then reinstalled the inner primary case. and then installed the inner primary case. Made sure all the dowels were back in the right spot and aligned with the holes.

It went on fairly easy. used new sealer bolts to install them and torqued them to the right values and sequence.

Installed the rest of the new compensator, installed the clutch and compensator sprocket and torqued them both the right values. stopping for today. That took most of the day. Can't really go any further until I get the Hayden tensioner anyway.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:59 PM
SummitRK
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What kind of noises?

Originally Posted by mr396
Fireaxxe:

I have been hearing noises from the primary, very similar to noises and behaviors as when the first IPB went out a couple of years ago. I am making some presumptions that it is the same thing again. Will know for sure once I get it torn down the rest of the way.

The amount of metal shavings and particles is more than normal, especially since the oil was changed out about a 1-2 months ago and less on the plug at that time.

I know this post is old but I have been trying to figure out what a certain sound is on my 2005 RK. It particularly happens when it's being "lugged", and is warmed up, and more-so with a heavier load on it (my wife on the back). Primary bearing? I cannot tell exactly where the sound is coming from.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:05 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Postin as a mRker for later viewing as I just ordered one today

Old 06-29-2019, 02:03 PM
miketv84
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mr396
I have a few questions for the forum members

It says to slide bearing race chamfer edge first on mainshaft. I have looked at both the new and old race(s) and for the life of me I can not see a chamfer edge or a difference between the edges. Any help here from the forum members? The old race had lettering facing out or away from transmission. I presume I can install the new race with lettering facing out as well.

I have attached a pic of the starter gear. Is the teeth on it supposed to look like that?

I noticed the starter has an o-ring that seals with the inner primary case. Should I replace that as well?

Also any thoughts of replacing the clutch bearing since I am in here? That bearing is like $90 to replace so would like to hear some thoughts on it. how often does that go out?

Did you ever figure out how to tell the direction of the inner race ?