Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? 10% Down ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:50 PM
jrudicel
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ? 10% Down ?

ORIGINAL: curmudgeon

Reading your post made my brain hurt.

Listen up

If you can't pay cash for your toys, then you can't afford them.

That is all, now go back to investing in lottey tickets

Dude...Are you saying he shouldnt finance the bike he wants? I would think there are alot of us on here that didnt have 20k cash sitting around to throw down on a bike and had to finance it. I say find another dealer that WANTS your business and do what makes you happy. you only live once.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:56 PM
BaggerSam
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't have gone for that deal. I purchased a 2007 Ultra Classic that I believe is a lot better than the SG. The bike out the door was $20,342.00, I gave them a $1,000.00 deposit, I traded my bike in for $8,000.00, I added pipes, SERT, and a XM Radio. After everything was done I went to the credit union and got a check for $13,342.00. The deals are out there yo just got to look for them.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:57 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

ORIGINAL: NC_RIDER

I traded in a 98 FXDL at Pat Rogers near Charlotte last year and bought a 2006 Street Glide. They gave me $9500 for the trade and I owed $9300. I put down $1000.00 and walked out the door financing $19400.00. They got me on interest though because my payment is $347 for 84 mos. @ 12%. My credit score floats between 680-720 but I have a high debt load. It's financed through Harley Credit.
Wow did they offer a "reach around" with the screwing you got?

[($347.00 x 84) + $1000.00 Down]= $30,148 for a Street Glide..................

Old 02-25-2007, 11:52 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

OK, I will bite. I am a Harley salesman and the short answer to your questions are yes, yes and no. You may have had an inexperienced person who just could not explain it to you. A697 is considered 2nd tier and requires a down payment of a minimum of 10%. Harleys financing is rigid and unless you have a 725 plus beacon you wont get the best APR.You will always get a lower apr elsewhere for a 697 score which is very respectable and in the world of home buying is golden. Cars also, but not bikes generally, and for sure not with Eaglemark which is the name of Harleys subsidiary finance company. Now ,because you had negative equity you would have had to put down money no matter the credit score although Harley is liberal in this sense. The street glide price was right on. He was selling it to you at msrp and then adding back the negative equity you still owed.The security system was mispriced at 360 because it is 325 but the prep set up fee was less than most dealers charge.So the deal was correct but it was not explained to you very well. If you had gone in with no trade you would have purchased the bike for the 2600 less than you still owed . so the bike was fairly priced. It just seems unreasonable because of the negative equity and dont forget you also mentioned a hefty price for additional accessories which also got added. The good thing about hd financing is you can go up to 84 months if you can hack the payments and your income supports the extra 5k plus added expenses you had based on the negative equity and accessories. On avarage hd will approve an overage of about 25% more than the bike is selling for or worth. Credit unions and banks wont do that unless you have extensive resources and dealings with them. Hope this helps. If you ever need a good deal look me up at HD OF MONTGOMERY,AL. MACK ............PS,$1000.00-1500.00 to hold a popular model like the FLHX is common.I will take 500 and hold a sportster but if it is any touring bike especially a street glide or ULTRA 1000.00 minimum to hold it.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:05 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: B dog

ORIGINAL: harley0711

just did some quick math - finance {$26,047 less 10% (2,604)} $23,443 at 0% for 60 months ( 5 years ) comes out to $390.71 a month.Then there is insurance on top of that...

Better be a real nice ride
Money's not an issue. The deal is. When the salesman says everything is ready and you've talked about it and nothing is mentioned and you get there and it changes. thats what pissed me off. Paying $500 a month is no problem and i dont buy a bike and worry about the resale. I want to enjoy it.

A SG is $18,380 MSRP . Alarm system. Accessaries $21,380 then tax. Thats a common price I thought.
He wanted me to pay
$18,380 MSRP SG
$530 Freight
$340 Dealer prep.
$380 alarm system

I think the best thing it to shop around and sell my trade in out right . Find a dealer that has a SG in stock and WANTS TO DEAL.
You hit the nail on the head that time. Find a dealer wanting to sell it. I got my 06 SG OTD for $17,265 which included warrenty and its a injected bike although i did want a carb bike(personal reasons) but hey I couldn't pass it up. I got everything approved with no money down but then i dropped a good sum on it so the payments wouldn't be hight(just another personal preferance) My wife also bought her Heritage with no money down so I know it happens all the time if we both get approved like this and this was at two differant dealers.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:06 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,372 Likes on 2,544 Posts

but don't you think the salesman should have told him he needed some cash to hold it?

Old 02-26-2007, 12:10 AM
NC_RIDER
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Even if my interest rate was 7%, after 84 mos I would pay $24200+ the $1000 down for a total of $25200. Besides that, I usually send in a couple hundred extra when I can and will probably pay the bike off in 4-5 years. My point in the post was the amount I paid for the bike not the financed amount.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:21 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno....they've got it ALL at full list. When ah bought mah UC in November, the bike was at MSRP, but they gave me a bit off the Bassani exhaust system w/race tuner, tossed in the alarm (no siren or pager - I added that later), an' then hooked me up with a guy that wanted ta buy the SE pipes they'd already installed on it after I'd done the 1000 mile break in on it. Oh - the bike was actually an accessory....mah better half fell in love with one of their purses, so bein' the lovin' hubby ah am, ah bought the purse, an' they threw in the bike with it.<G> Seriously, though - they DID toss the $200+ purse in with the deal. Yeah - they still made money, but ah wuz also sittin' at the table ready ta buy *now*. Got back into finance, an' wrote 2 checks - a 15k down payment (from sellin' mah '03 Goldwing), an' the balance from the Credit Union. They were cool about it - obviously like anyone else, financin' is another profit center for 'em - but the CU we use give notoriously low rates - an' because we have our house financed with 'em, they gave me an even sweeter deal (like 3.9% APR).

Old 02-26-2007, 01:00 AM
HDChloe
Road Captain

This topic seems to be pretty well covered, but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I actually just purchased 2 HDs last week. Here is how the deal went down

05 Road King Custom w/ 5600 miles and a ton of extras:
Asking: $16,995
paid: $16,100

07 Softail Classic (brand newbike for the wife)
MSRP (set up fees, security system, freight, etc): $19,217
Paid: $19,000 and received a$500 gift card

Traded in:
03 Sportster 883 w/ 5100 miles. Got $5000

I financed these bikes by the way.

I did this all over the phone and internet. I sent pictures of my Sporty to the dealer. He sent photos to me of my Road King. I didn't see either bike in person until I went to sign the papers. He never pressured me asking for a down payment.He wasan absolute great guy to work with.It was like workingwith a friend rather than a salesman.

My point: They will work with you if they want to sale bikes. Also, never do a deal that leaves a bad taste in your mouth. This is supposed to be fun....remember?!?!?!

Old 02-26-2007, 01:13 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: MACK

OK, I will bite. I am a Harley salesman and the short answer to your questions are yes, yes and no. You may have had an inexperienced person who just could not explain it to you. A697 is considered 2nd tier and requires a down payment of a minimum of 10%. Harleys financing is rigid and unless you have a 725 plus beacon you wont get the best APR.You will always get a lower apr elsewhere for a 697 score which is very respectable and in the world of home buying is golden. Cars also, but not bikes generally, and for sure not with Eaglemark which is the name of Harleys subsidiary finance company. Now ,because you had negative equity you would have had to put down money no matter the credit score although Harley is liberal in this sense. The street glide price was right on. He was selling it to you at msrp and then adding back the negative equity you still owed.The security system was mispriced at 360 because it is 325 but the prep set up fee was less than most dealers charge.So the deal was correct but it was not explained to you very well. If you had gone in with no trade you would have purchased the bike for the 2600 less than you still owed . so the bike was fairly priced. It just seems unreasonable because of the negative equity and dont forget you also mentioned a hefty price for additional accessories which also got added. The good thing about hd financing is you can go up to 84 months if you can hack the payments and your income supports the extra 5k plus added expenses you had based on the negative equity and accessories. On avarage hd will approve an overage of about 25% more than the bike is selling for or worth. Credit unions and banks wont do that unless you have extensive resources and dealings with them. Hope this helps. If you ever need a good deal look me up at HD OF MONTGOMERY,AL. MACK ............PS,$1000.00-1500.00 to hold a popular model like the FLHX is common.I will take 500 and hold a sportster but if it is any touring bike especially a street glide or ULTRA 1000.00 minimum to hold it.
Thanks for taking the time and explaining.

BUT if I EVER finance a car, boat, or motorcycle for 84 months.......somebody whip my freakin azz!!!!! [sm=icon_beat.gif][sm=chairshot.gif][sm=bangbang.gif]

Quick Reply: ? 10% Down ?