Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

red fluid out of the air shock valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013 | 08:44 PM
limeyhusker
|
Advanced
Default red fluid out of the air shock valve

I am new to air shocks. Just tinkering with my new (to me) RK and I thought I would check the air fill valves. Anyhow....when I depressed the valve needle in on the front shock valve, a red fluid came out. Does that mean my shock seals are busted???

Old 06-15-2013 | 09:09 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

The shocks are filled with an oil and it's not uncommon for some to make it's way out on occasion, I wouldn't worry about it until your getting a lot of oil coming out from the stem.

Old 06-16-2013 | 01:24 AM
JafaDog
Novice

From the owner's manual: "Always add 3-5 psi 21-35 kPa to the existing pressure before releasing air from the system to prevent oil for exiting the air valve. NEVER exceed 50 psi 345 kPa." Of course if you normally run the shocks at 50 psi (recommended pressure for 2-up and fully loaded up to GVWR), and you're not supposed to exceed 50 psi, I guess you risk it by either not adding 3-5 psi or by going over 50 psi (briefly).

Old 06-16-2013 | 07:06 AM
limeyhusker
|
Advanced

Thanks for the responses. I feel better now!
As I have read else where, you have to be careful when talking about air suspention. I should have been more specific. There is definately no mention of adding pressure before releasing air in my manual....BUT... my RK is a '97!

My bad for not mentioning that. Just did not want you to think I was one of those types to ask a question here before checking my own manual.

It is kinda cool that I have the origional manual....plus the dealers spec sheet for the bike!

Old 06-16-2013 | 08:47 AM
basselope
Road Captain

You made a good choice asking the question... lots of knowledgeable folks here. As JafaDog said, you shouldn't exceed 50psi normally, but I don't think you're going to hurt anything if add a little air to clear the line even if you run the suspension at max. The 50psi max is intended to be set with the bike unloaded and with the expectation that a passenger and/or cargo will be added, not to mention the rider. All that weight will increase the operating psi in the suspension, Hitting bumps will increase it even more. A few psi over max with the bike sitting still won't hurt a thing. Just be sure to adjust it back down before you ride.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by basselope; 06-16-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-16-2013 | 09:09 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

That is why you need to use the proper pump to both air them up and let air out.
Instruction say before releasing air to pump it up a few pounds the release.
The correct pump stop the oil for coming out.
Becare not to over fill them make sure you are using correct pressure for your bike different years the pressure changed and SG/RG vs Other tour bikes they look the same but pressure were different.
If the shock do not support your riding with max pressure the next option is to remove the oil and add a SLIGHTLY heavier weight oil the sock is about 7.5.
Many find good results going to a 10W but that is another thread.
Over filling them with air will end bad for you and costly mistake.

Old 06-16-2013 | 09:09 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

... Maybe it's just that time of the month ?? ... Tucci's response is on the right track ... Welcome to the Forum.

Old 06-16-2013 | 09:37 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by limeyhusker
....when I depressed the valve needle in on the front shock valve, a red fluid came out..............
Can you explain what this means?
It sounds like you are you just depressing the needle and not connecting an air pump?

Old 06-16-2013 | 10:48 AM
JafaDog
Novice

My bad for not seeing that your King is a '97. It's right there in your sig! Just like with a lot of other stuff, the suspension air pump is yet another essential $50 item that the MoCo should include with the bike when purchased. If you have air suspension, you're gonna need one...

Old 06-16-2013 | 01:51 PM
limeyhusker
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
Can you explain what this means?
It sounds like you are you just depressing the needle and not connecting an air pump?

Indeed I was just playing a little bit. I have had no issues with the suspension during my two weeks of ownership. I have a hand operated bicycle pump that I attached to the valve....just to have a little "tinker" with it. As soon as the bicycle pump attachment depressed the needle on the RK valve, the red fluid came out. I stopped immediately and thought....OPPPS!

Hence my original post and question!

Yes....this got serious real fast!

Trying to lighten it up somewhat!!!!

Quick Reply: red fluid out of the air shock valve