Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detachable tour pack

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013 | 08:40 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

I just leave mine on all the time.
Wife is with me the majority of the time too.
It's really too handy.
I don't think it looks too bad either.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-01-2013 | 08:51 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master

I took off my tour pack off and have yet to put it back on for anything. I run a 2-piece Mustang seat. When I have a passenger, I put on the quick-detach backrest. I would only put the tour pack back on for a very long ride. I can generally carry enough in my bags or strapped to the backrest for a few days ride. I'm not married and girlfriends are much less demanding than wives... or so I've heard.

Old 07-01-2013 | 08:53 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master

Originally Posted by lionsm13
I just leave mine on all the time.
Wife is with me the majority of the time too.
It's really too handy.
I don't think it looks too bad either.
[IMG][/IMG]
Never seen lowers that tall. Who makes those?

Old 07-01-2013 | 09:22 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

My advice to the OP is to be patient on purchases. Also, there are great deals in the HDF classifieds. In my case, I have a detachable Ultra tour pak on a detachable two-up rack, a Mutazu aftermarket tour pak on a solo detachable rack, an HD detachable backrest, Corbin Classic Solo and wide passenger pillion that fit my requirements perfectly--but they were acquired over a period of time.

Reminds of my old amateur film photograph days many years ago and every Christmas people would be dropping lots of $$$ on SLR cameras w/ standard lens, a wide-angle lens, and a Zoom telephoto as a first camera. Best advice I ever got was to shoot everything with the standard 50mm lens until I realized what pictures I couldn't get with that lens. That led me to purchase a wide angle lens. Ditto the purchase sometime later of a Zoom telephoto lens. All served me well for many years.

Carl

Old 07-02-2013 | 11:29 AM
RG2013
6th Gear

I have mine off 80 % of the time. I have a detach sissy bar for when we are doing day trips and the rest of the time I have a solo seat.

Old 07-02-2013 | 11:35 AM
rwrunski
Cruiser

I have the detach kit no backrest when removed. Found a good deal on a roadking seat I use when running without the tourpack

Old 07-02-2013 | 01:54 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member

Most of the time I have just the rack on. That way if I stop and grab something I have a place to lash it on. I use the king tour when on tour, but prefer the cleaner look of the rack only when just cruising. I have and add the sissy bar when I ride two up for day trips. On 2 up overnighters the king tour goes back on so that her stuff has a home. I give her the king tour liner bag and what fits in that is all she gets.

I have the detachable two up rack which before I have the king tour, fit my Super T-bag great. Now that we use the king tour, I'd probably get the stealth as it is a lower profile and would still allow me to strap on a 6 pack.

I made this rack to hold either the king tour, or the sissy bar and rack. The sissy bar and rack fit inside the king tour when I run naked.

Old 07-02-2013 | 02:06 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior

Solo just the stealth rack, Out for the evening 2 up add the s/bar and backrest for her, overnight the pack.

Old 07-02-2013 | 02:26 PM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior

wonder whats the cost of a quick detach on an Ultra. gotta be more because of the electrical connector work and license plate. wonder how much if the stealer does it

Old 07-02-2013 | 03:15 PM
SoCalMike
Tourer

Have a detachable on my '02 RK and '12 SG, and only use them for extended trips (1-2 weeks or more). I have a passenger backrest but only put it on when I know I'll have a passenger. I suspect if you have a big glide it might be a little different. When I'm on my own I tend to like the look of no backrest/tourpack.

Quick Reply: detachable tour pack