Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

helmets ,akuma just great

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 07:42 AM
ffb
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default helmets ,akuma just great

about 3 weeks ago i received my new akuma helmet. ghost rider .

i hate to plug a product,but after owning almost every brand ,and still have bmw,schuberth,arai,shoei ,this one deserves a plug because of its price and how it compares to arai and shoei.

now ,for my head shape,the shoei ,size large ,59-60cm is perfect.and it cost $500 plus
the akuma ,279 and it fits almost if not just as good and it is a bit quieter when all vents are open.and quieter when they are not.
very light weight

and check out the doragon helmet from them, and the graphics ,too much for me ,graphics .and the visors are great .........they have a photochromatic one,not out yet that looks promising.

and the helmet has two ,ghost rider ,or 3 other ,led lights in the top back for nite time visibility and it works.they can see you .........

also has an inside reading ,white led light positioned above the left eye (from cops helmets )

the charging cord is positioned in the lower side out of the way and it is tiny .

check it out at www.akumahelmets.com

and they are very nice people to deal with .

Old 02-25-2007, 08:31 AM
pointswhat
Road Captain
Default RE: helmets ,akuma just great

The XFP modular looks more my style but the other ones look pretty cool!

Old 02-25-2007, 08:46 AM
ffb
Tourer

i forgot to post the review on

www.webbikeworld.com

they rated it their helmet of the year

Old 02-25-2007, 10:53 AM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ffb: Shall we assume your head shape is round instead of oval since the Shoei fits you so well? I have a long oval head....Arai Signet or Profile fits well. The Shoei's I've owned in the past have needed a little "modification" of the EPS liner in the forhead area with a ballpein hammer to be comfortable.
So what shape is the Akuma best suited for?

Old 02-25-2007, 10:59 AM
ffb
Tourer

mr.wonderful ,
i have no idea what the shape of my head is like . i wear arai,shoei ,schuberth ,akuma ,bmw and they all fit provided that they are between 58.5 and 60 cm.size.

sorry that i cannot be of more help/

but i remember now that the latest arai helmet ,the very newest and most expensive one ,did not fit me correctly even at that size.it was sort of short .

the best fitting one for me and the one that the akuma most resembles in fit is the shoei in 59/60 size x11

Old 02-25-2007, 11:30 AM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Mr Wonderful

ffb: Shall we assume your head shape is round instead of oval since the Shoei fits you so well? I have a long oval head....Arai Signet or Profile fits well. The Shoei's I've owned in the past have needed a little "modification" of the EPS liner in the forhead area with a ballpein hammer to be comfortable.
tell me more about the ball bean hammer adjustment method. I've been carefully adjusting (via a detailing/small projectselectric sander) my large H-D half helmet to eliminate forehead pressure points. the sanding method just ain't getting it done.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master

ORIGINAL: oley55

ORIGINAL: Mr Wonderful

tell me more about the ball bean hammer adjustment method. I've been carefully adjusting (via a detailing/small projectselectric sander) my large H-D half helmet to eliminate forehead pressure points. the sanding method just ain't getting it done.
A ballpein hammer is one with a flat hammerhead on one side and a ball on the other side. I peel back the covering in the forehead area and kinda gently rap the EPS liner in order to give my noggin more room. Realize that it does compromise that area of protection just a little, but it has been the only way for me to alleviate the torture. I have done this with all my helmets; Shoei, HJC, and one Arai Classic. The new Arai Profile finally fits me without having to modify it.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

i've been trying on various full face helmets and have found the padding is pretty tight around my cheeks. The salesperson said this was 'normal' and over a week or two or riding the padding would mold to my face. Is this true or should I keep looking?

Old 02-25-2007, 03:34 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

The trick is to find a sales person the "really" knows what they are talking about - someone who has been trained on what ever helmet you are trying on. I have looked at Akuma but do not care for patterns/colors - I am leaning towards another Arai - my last one was 9 years ago - I am going to call Arai tomorrow and try and find a local shop that has been trained in fitting helmets... Last thing I want to do is spend $$$$$ and have it not fit right??

Old 02-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Whiskers

i've been trying on various full face helmets and have found the padding is pretty tight around my cheeks. The salesperson said this was 'normal' and over a week or two or riding the padding would mold to my face. Is this true or should I keep looking?
Some helmets have removeable cheek pads....and you can buy thinner ones or thicker ones....for a custom fit. Problem is, usually only the higher-priced units have this feature. The cheek area should be snug, not tight. The pads will soften some, but if they feel really tight, change them or try another helmet.

Quick Reply: helmets ,akuma just great