Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Needing some input of upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 05:08 PM
bizkit1981
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing some input of upgrades

Can anybody tell me what is all required for a true dual and air cleaner upgrades for my 2008 Road King? Any recommendations for brand of programmers and has anybody done any of these changes?

Old 06-12-2013, 06:35 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Recommend just doing a search on this forum for true duals. You'll find more than enough info, I'm not a fan of true duals. They sound nice but they don't "help" gain more power or torque.

Good luck

Old 06-12-2013, 06:54 PM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

As far as tuner it really depends on what you plan on doing other than pipes and air cleaner. I started on my switchback I went slip on, air cleaner and xied. Then changed to hypercharger, short shots and added a v& h fuelpack. Didnt like fuel pack so I went to power vision. Docs only uses Tts tuner. So if u r hands on in go power vision it allows lots of tuning options. If u r gonna get it dyno tuned call the tuner and ask him what he prefers to work with as it will save you from buying one the tech is not comfortable working with. Hope that helps. ..

Old 06-12-2013, 07:39 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If u r gonna get it dyno tuned call the tuner and ask him what he prefers to work with as it will save you from buying one the tech is not comfortable working with.
This is good advice.I had a map done on a dyno for my Dyna with a SERT which is what the dyno guy liked to work with.Guess what bike made good power and I never had to mess with it again.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:56 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bizkit1981
Can anybody tell me what is all required for a true dual and air cleaner upgrades for my 2008 Road King? Any recommendations for brand of programmers and has anybody done any of these changes?
I had Rinehart True duals, Ness air cleaner and a Power Commander III with a map from Fuel Moto....zip zero problems If you get a older PC III I have a map for you that doesnt back fire, spark knock, and generates easy starts and MPG. Its mainly the reason I hesitated sooooo long to do any engine mods...and I'm a gear head. The bike was flawless. Now....no problems although I dont have another 18,000 miles on it either...more like 500 since the build in my siggy.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:52 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a true dual setup I am pretty happy with Dragos true duals, dragos mufflers, power vision and a S&S stealth breather

Old 06-12-2013, 11:22 PM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Since no one said it, Welcome to the touring forums. Wish you many miles of smiles from your king. Now with that being said, you are fixin to get answers on what everyone and their brother likes/has on their bike, lots of different choices out there. It depends on the end state of what you are gonna do with your bike, if all you are gonna do is add slip ons and an air cleaner, all you will need is flxied's or vied's (google em, they are a fuel enrichment device to fix the lean our bikes have) If you like to turn wrenches and tinker and are going to possibly add cams later on down the road, then you need a tuner, Vance Hines fuel pack, Power Commander 3 or 5, Fuel Moto (sponsor on this site), you can get a complete PACKAGE from him with one call, excellent reviews/customer service, these are the types of tuners that attach to your bike. Then there are tuners out there that reprogram your bikes computer and dosent attach to your bike. Possibilities/combinations are almost endless with combos for your bike. It all depends on what your gonna do and what will your budget allow, sky is the limit, lol. OK, here is the advise, I suggest that you go to the dealer/local bike events, any place with alot of bikes around, listen to them and start talking to bikers that you meet, ask em what they have, etc.. That way, you get to hear it for yourself (not what Jim and Bob says here on the forum) and actually see what they did. I also suggest doing a search of what you want. The last piece of advice I have for you is that keeping your bike entirely STOCK is the new fad going around, lmao.. Dont just start throwing chit at your bike just to make it louder and fit in with the other Harley riders, lol. The more you tear into your bike/motor, the more unreliable it will become (unless you know your chit or have the $$$ to have it done) The bike will run for many many years and keep a smile on your face while doing it all while being completely stock. Newer Harleys are made to last for years and years with proper maintenance. That brings me to my last point GET THE SERVICE MANUAL AND ELECTRICAL MANUAL, BASIC TOOLS AND A BIKE JACK/LIFT. This is the best investment you will ever make for your Harley and it will save you mucho $$$$ down the road and give you time to bond/learn your bike. There is absolutely nothing that you will run into that hasnt happened to someone on these pages before, you will have all the help you will ever need, just ask. Good luck with your king. Post some pics so we know you actually own a King, lmao.....

Old 06-13-2013, 12:09 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll chime in since I have an 08: (see my upgrades below) I had true duals, went back to stock header with the 4" Jackpots. I am planning on going back to true duals with MGS because I just miss the sound of the true dual and I don't think I'll lose any torque if their claims are true. With the Rev. Perf. tuner, I don't have to worry about new maps or another expensive, maybe good maybe not, dyno tune. Other than bars and some seat work I'm done. Oh yeah, I figure to change the front pulley to a 31T when I do the inevitable comp upgrade.

Last edited by mike5511; 06-13-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:25 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Rinehart, MGS, Dragos will all make great power, if properly tuned and matched to the rest of the motor. The key is in matching your exhaust to the rest of the motor's components, and getting a good tune. That's much more important than the differences between a 2-1, 2-1-2, or td.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:54 PM
HDogg
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

The combination is infinitive.Just take your time and don't rush into anything major all at one go.Maybe you could start with just slip ons for sound and then progress on.That's what I plan to do anyway.

Quick Reply: Needing some input of upgrades