Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wanting to lighten up my 06 ultra

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 09:46 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default wanting to lighten up my 06 ultra

Had looked into trading my 06 for a Road King (probably would consider a softail deluxe now) and had test driven current generation bikes and got some reasonable offers. But I think I will keep mine at least until the current ESP expires in Dec. 2014.
So I was going to buy and install the tour pack quick release setup, create me some quick release plugs for my wires, move the radio antennae inside the fairing (I don't use it much at all), maybe just dump the CB antennae (wonder if I could use it where the relocation kit puts), purchase a quick detach backrest and rack. Probably will buy me a shorty windshield, as well.
Any ideas on how to improve on this effort to kind of lighten up and make the ole rolling couch a little more sporty?

Old 06-12-2013, 09:56 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As you say, ditch the tour pack and lowers and you pretty much have a street glide.

I have a quick detach tour pack (although it rarely comes off) and I have never removed my lowers, but it's an easy task, and gives an ultra a much different look. You may even consider changing the bag supports as that gets rid of even more of the 'geezer glide' appearance. Little things like the fender bumpers, all the gawdy chrome trim. I've always said, buy an ultra, and then take off what you don't like. It's cheaper than buying a street glide and adding what you didn't get....

Old 06-12-2013, 10:22 AM
BigFokker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the detachable tour pak set up along with the front docking points for a back rest. Tour pak has been off since I took possession of the bike 4 years ago and has only been back on once. I've run the backrest a couple of times. Saddlebag guard rails came off, stock seat changed to a low profile HD seat, mirrors from the handlebars to the fairing, 4" chopped shield.

I kept the lowers though because I put speakers in them, plus I prefer the look of the lowers with everything else stripped off.

There's alot you can do, but as I've found most things require you to add something else just to take them off.

Have fun with it!

Old 06-12-2013, 10:25 AM
BigFokker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
As you say, ditch the tour pack and lowers and you pretty much have a street glide.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:29 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain

I can't see how to take off the guard rails for the saddle bags. Seems they support the rails that support the exhaust. I did see a 2013 RK that had the saddlebag rails removed and it sure cleaned it up a bunch.
Lowers come off about may and stay off until October or so in my country. Too hot.
A lower profile seat would be nice. Saw an option for a solo seat. Pretty cool and use the one up-detach kit setup.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:47 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
I can't see how to take off the guard rails for the saddle bags. Seems they support the rails that support the exhaust. I did see a 2013 RK that had the saddlebag rails removed and it sure cleaned it up a bunch.
Lowers come off about may and stay off until October or so in my country. Too hot.
A lower profile seat would be nice. Saw an option for a solo seat. Pretty cool and use the one up-detach kit setup.
You will have to purchase a different saddlebag mounting kit. If I knew how to upload a pic, I'd send you one of mine. You can do full on geezer, which you already have, or just a bag crash bar, what I have, or no bars or rails at all. I prefer just a bag crash bar (just in case of a tip over)

Old 06-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
Any ideas on how to improve on this effort to kind of lighten up and make the ole rolling couch a little more sporty?
For a quick major improvement:
Remove Tour Pak
Remove Saddlebag Rails (you can use the Street Glide mount or I prefer the Rear Saddlebag Guard Kit, for your '06 p/n 49291-07)
Change seat
You won't need the sissy bar, luggage rack for now

For more:
Change windshield
Remove as much of that front bumper as you can
New rims

For a hidden antenna:
$19
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcyle-Ha...53fecc&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Texas Fat Boy; 06-12-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:15 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain

I appreciate the input. Texas Fat Boy I see that you prefer the chrome rear saddlebag kit, but it doesn't look like you have that on your bike. I probably would prefer to have at least the protection of the front rails, but probably would prefer the look of the no-guard approach.
And TFB, have you used the inexpensive antennae from ebay. Don't really care about the performance as we won't have diddly to listen to around here but would at least like for it to be somewhat functional.
I guess there is really nothing to do with the cb antennae.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How about a much simpler and cheaper option that will give you the same effect or better and not sacrifice much at all in economy. Try just changing out your rear pulley. You would be surprised how much a few teeth difference in pulley setups will affect the performance of your machine. I have some friends that have their bikes set up to top out at about 110-115 mph and holy crap!! Those bikes are monsters from takeoff until that 110 mph top speed. They are usually running about 4500-5000 rpm at 110 mph where as my bike is usually at about 3800-4000 at that speed, which leaves me with a power band that I cant use cause the bike itsnt very safe past that speed. Just something to consider. Good luck.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:31 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain

like the less expensive way to gain power, but performance is not my issue. Just wanting to lighten the bike up a bit for round-town driving and short cruises.

Quick Reply: wanting to lighten up my 06 ultra