Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm glad I didn't go L E D.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Groucho1
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default I'm glad I didn't go L E D.

I have been on the fence about buying an LED headlight. I had the lucky chance of seeing both an LED and a regular headlight in my truck mirror. Maybe the regular headlight was on high beam...(I also ride high beam in the daylight) But the regular headlight was much easier to see than the LED. I don't know what brand it was, but was on a very new Harley.

I'm sticking with my stock headlight....for now anyways.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:54 PM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I stuck with incandescent in the front.
I don't ride enough at night to justify the $$$ of an LED frontend, all though LED's own my assend. Really made a difference during daytime riding back there. Thanks again CD............

Old 06-11-2013, 10:03 PM
TeeStu
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Stock headlight with Silverstar Ultra bulb. You will tell the difference...

Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

The LED headlight is not as easy for others to see you in the daylight, but the difference at night is nothing short of amazing. Both in how well you see, and how others see you.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:22 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

If you do any night riding there is a very large difference. I ran a Bosch headlight with a Candlepower inc rallye bulb that was 70/65 watts or something and it was better than anyone I ever rode with who had a regular halogen headlight. Now I have the Phase 7 and it is so much better at night I could give 2 ***** what it looks like in daytime or from the side or whatever. I have passing lamps for daytime visibility anyhow.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Fathertime500
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking into something that would give me more visibility at night further down the road and the Phase 7's do. They give me at least 2 seconds more time to make a quick change in direction to avoid potential road hazards. 2 seconds can mean life or death on a motorcycle. I have also noticed with the addition of the LED passing lamps cars seem to notice me in their blind spot easier. I also added the CD Dynamic Ringz and believe it or not these alone can be seen better in the daylight than a stock 3 incandescent lamp set-up. Eventually all motorcycles will have LED lights as standard equipment so there will be no more debates but until then, to each his own! FT

Old 06-11-2013, 11:45 PM
pastime
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had quite a few people comment on my Truck Lite LED headlight being much more visible in daylight than stock or HID. Maybe you saw a different brand. I also run TL LED passing lamps, which contributes to being seen as well.

Opinions do vary, and that's OK by me.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:10 AM
vegashd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho1
I have been on the fence about buying an LED headlight. I had the lucky chance of seeing both an LED and a regular headlight in my truck mirror. Maybe the regular headlight was on high beam...(I also ride high beam in the daylight) But the regular headlight was much easier to see than the LED. I don't know what brand it was, but was on a very new Harley.

I'm sticking with my stock headlight....for now anyways.
The white light of the led ad yellow halogen there is no comparison even looking head on. The led is bright!

Old 06-12-2013, 04:19 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 115 Posts

My buddy has a Road Glide and has upgraded to LED, and his OL rides a Fatboy again with LED. We have just done a long road trip where I was leading and looking in my mirror I was interested to see that although my buddy was bringing up the rear his headlights was amazingly bright, like a couple of seachlights whatever the weather, bright sunshine or overcast, however the LED on the Fatboy was not that impressive.
Both were HD products.
As a result I am happy to stick with my 100w bulb cheap upgrade

Old 06-12-2013, 05:39 AM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really, this is my second bike with LED's, love um, and can really be seen in the daytime, it's a safety issue with me.
I've seen the stock yellow looking headlights with a dark colored bike is not very visible to grandma and could cause problem for you!!!!
Also the LED's is much easier on your electrical system.
I was out in Sturgis 2 years ago, and was behind my group about a mile, and being flat and open, you can see for miles.
They stated they knew it was me, because of my LED's and could be seen that far away.

You keep talking yourself into NOT buying LED's

Quick Reply: I'm glad I didn't go L E D.