Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm glad I didn't go L E D.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:21 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueknightWI
I love the look of the LEDs on that bright red bike, but I know for a fact, that in WI you cannot run that many headlamps. You can have no more than four white lights on any MV shining at any one time in WI. I am almost sure that is country-wide as well. I love how bright it is, and understand the lighting issue, but would think that you're liable to meet more guys like me riding that way. I don't work traffic anymore, but I know a lot of guys/gals would stop you for that and at least write a warning. I am thinking of going to LEDs, but the cost is outrageous. Does any other manufacturer make lights that would just swap into the Harley? I have an '11 Ultra Limited.
You better take a look at some of the 18 wheeler rigs on the roadways....and the Jeeps with headlights, overhead bar lights & grill lights. I don't think any LEO is going to bother you for having one extra light on your bike. I know as a former/retired LEO, I wouldn't have......

Old 06-17-2013, 06:54 PM
Billy Edwards
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Texas headlight law

Originally Posted by BlueknightWI
I love the look of the LEDs on that bright red bike, but I know for a fact, that in WI you cannot run that many headlamps. You can have no more than four white lights on any MV shining at any one time in WI. I am almost sure that is country-wide as well. I love how bright it is, and understand the lighting issue, but would think that you're liable to meet more guys like me riding that way. I don't work traffic anymore, but I know a lot of guys/gals would stop you for that and at least write a warning. I am thinking of going to LEDs, but the cost is outrageous. Does any other manufacturer make lights that would just swap into the Harley? I have an '11 Ultra Limited.
You may be on to something here.

Here it is for Texas, Ch. 547 of Transportation Code - it's too late at the end of a long day for me to guess what all this means, so I'll let others guess what it means:

Sec. 547.801. LIGHTING EQUIPMENT. (a) A motorcycle, including a motor-driven cycle, shall be equipped with:

(1) not more than two headlamps mounted at a height from 24 to 54 inches
... (the rest of this section deals with tail lights and the like)...

Sec. 547.327. SPOTLAMPS PERMITTED. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two spotlamps.

(b) A spotlamp shall be aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the windshield, window, mirror, or occupant of another vehicle in use.

Sec. 547.328. FOG LAMPS PERMITTED. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two fog lamps.

(b) A fog lamp shall be:

(1) mounted on the front of the vehicle at a height from 12 to 30 inches; and

(2) aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam from a lamp mounted to the left of center on a vehicle projects a beam of light at a distance of 25 feet that is higher than four inches below the level of the center of the lamp.

(c) Lighted fog lamps may be used with lower headlamp beams as specified by Section 547.333.

Sec. 547.329. AUXILIARY PASSING LAMPS PERMITTED. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with no more than two auxiliary passing lamps.

(b) An auxiliary passing lamp shall be mounted on the front of the vehicle at a height from 24 to 42 inches.

(c) An auxiliary passing lamp may be used with headlamps as specified by Section 547.333.

Sec. 547.330. AUXILIARY DRIVING LAMPS PERMITTED. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with no more than two auxiliary driving lamps.

(b) An auxiliary driving lamp shall be mounted on the front of the vehicle at a height from 16 to 42 inches.

(c) Auxiliary driving lamps may be used with headlamps as specified by Section 547.333.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:37 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

As long as your lights are not blinding drivers coming at you and you don't have to take your bike to an inspection station, I don't believe any LEO will harass you for having one large headlight and four smaller white lights on the front of your bike. Now colored lights are another story....

Old 06-17-2013, 08:23 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

well, according to the mv code, you can have:

2 headlamps, 2 spot lamps, 2 fog lights, 2 aux passing lights, and 2 aux driving lights. that equals 10 in my book

Old 06-17-2013, 08:44 PM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Edwards
davidw221 - what are the lower lights on the front? I've looked for these for my RG Ultra, but I'm concerned about mounting them with the fairings there.

Their from Custom Dynamics, I have another pic I will share with you on the lights.

I've had them on two bikes now over 3 years, no problems!
I have a couple of roadies who use them too, they have both the new style fairings and the old.
NO issues with the fairing, and they light the road in front of you, helps on dark roads.

Last edited by davidw221; 06-17-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:58 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Ride with/without or no head light...I don't care. Me? LEDs...
If you want to split the differance.....get LED spotlights.....and the head light
when you can afford it. Riding at night with the spot lights can get you 'flashed' by on coming drivers. They think I have HIGH beam on.
I have 'Truck Lights'....done well by me.

chuck the mensh

Old 06-17-2013, 09:29 PM
DPelletier
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well ill start out by saying im generally a fan of LEDs, but you can have good, effective LEDs and you can have crappy, cheap, inneffective ones. The same thing holds true for all other kinds of lights...with incandecent lights, people often ASSuME that a whiter light is brighter, but that is not the case. People waste money on bulbs the same wattage but whiter or bluer color to no benefit...some of the really cheap light bulbs are the same bulb, but with a blue coating that actually reduces light output. A 75 watt "yellow" bulb has more lumins than a 55 watt "white" bulb...

Just fyi

Dave

Old 06-17-2013, 09:36 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

I've got a Road Glide Ultra, I could hardly see at night with the stock lights. It was truly scary.

I got the Daymakers - I was blind, and now I can see!

Its an amazing difference, so I'm happy.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:38 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I don't ride much at night. In fact, I've done it twice since I've had my bike. That and the cost of a LED, has made me run my brights on during the day.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:12 PM
GoofySB
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Thought I read in another thread that LED headlights were not so hot in curves at night. Comments?

Quick Reply: I'm glad I didn't go L E D.