Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight flasher gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 12:09 AM
BiggestDawg
Advanced HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Headlight flasher gone bad

Last year I got a headlight flasher unit for my bike and installed it. Everything worked fine for a while but then I started blowing the headlight fuse. I figured out that when the spots were on the fuse would go. So I really didn't have time to dig into this so I just went without the spots. So recently the push button cover for my trip reset fell off so I got another one and over the weekend opened up the fairing so I could push the button back through and put the new button cover on, stupid design if you ask me. Anyway I take the long over due time to look at the flasher unit and find that it shows signs of having over heated. Now I am pretty sure that I got the right unit for my bike but now I'm not positive and of course I have tossed the box so I can't look back and be sure though I will check at the dealer to be sure. What I am wondering is why does it seem that the headlight draws so many amps? My 98 fried the headlamp plug at one point so it makes me wonder if this is a common problem.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:18 AM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With any luck they all will quit working. I hate those things.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:31 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yaaaa, another headlight modulator thread, woooohooooo... Here comes the "if you dont like it, dont look at it" answers, the "its for safety" answers, the "it irritates me" answers, the "I wanna be seen" answers and the answer above, " I hate it" answers. Here is my answer, if its your time, the modulator is not going to help. Ride like everyone is trying to kill you, because they are. Let the flaming begin....

Old 06-11-2013, 03:35 AM
last12know
Road Master

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AlaskaAviator
+1

they are too distracting for others..

Old 06-11-2013, 05:27 AM
pastime
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by my67pnycar6
Yaaaa, another headlight modulator thread, woooohooooo... Here comes the "if you dont like it, dont look at it" answers, the "its for safety" answers, the "it irritates me" answers, the "I wanna be seen" answers and the answer above, " I hate it" answers. Here is my answer, if its your time, the modulator is not going to help. Ride like everyone is trying to kill you, because they are. Let the flaming begin....
+1...can't say it any better.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:27 AM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Your out of "Flasher Fluid".

Old 06-11-2013, 11:08 AM
BiggestDawg
Advanced HDF Member

Originally Posted by my67pnycar6
Originally Posted by last12know
+1

they are too distracting for others..
Originally Posted by pastime
+1...can't say it any better.
I didn't realize that I had bumped the ******* tree and knocked a few out! I don't care what you think of the module and what I choose to enhance my safety. When you have been run over by an idiot in a cage then you talk to me about what you want to use for your safety.

My question has nothing to do with what you think of them it is about what is going on electrically with the unit and perhaps my bike. If you have something useful to contribute then by all means post up other wise STFU!

Originally Posted by Kenney
Your out of "Flasher Fluid".
I forgot to check the level I will get right on that

Old 06-11-2013, 11:51 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,781 Likes on 530 Posts

Are you running a high wattage lamp? I'm running a 90/100 lamp with a modulator, and over time, it also did the same thing. Replace it, and bought a ceramic H4 pigtail on E Bay and placed it between the modulator and lamp.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Bocifus
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xwhyz1959
Are you running a high wattage lamp? I'm running a 90/100 lamp with a modulator, and over time, it also did the same thing. Replace it, and bought a ceramic H4 pigtail on E Bay and placed it between the modulator and lamp.

+1 What he said, if you have a high wattage lamp. If not, make sure you have a good ground.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:47 PM
BiggestDawg
Advanced HDF Member

Originally Posted by xwhyz1959
I don't actually know for sure. I went on the premise that it is the stock lamp because the person that I purchased it from had done very little with the bike as far as mods or upgrades.

Quick Reply: Headlight flasher gone bad