Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight flasher gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Yep, you’re correct about the headlight (after a time) over heating the connector (even on a stock setup) and being a BIA to deal with. Even putting dielectric grease on the connections doesn’t always help. I’v destroyed two bulbs trying to remove my faring and disconnecting the headlight.
As posted, check that you’re running the correct bulb in your headlight. A higher wattage bulb, while it may work and give you more light, will overheat the connector faster than a stock one.
Are you running it on Bright? If so you’re pulling the maximum amps and overheating the connector. This is something that doesn’t happen overnight just over time. The fact that your “blowing / tripping” the breaker is an indication that your pulling over the maximum Amps for that circuit.
Check the manual or ask at the dealer what the Amp rating for the circuit is.
(Voltage x Amps = watts)

Old 06-11-2013, 01:38 PM
BiggestDawg
Advanced HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenney
Yep, you’re correct about the headlight (after a time) over heating the connector (even on a stock setup) and being a BIA to deal with. Even putting dielectric grease on the connections doesn’t always help. I’v destroyed two bulbs trying to remove my faring and disconnecting the headlight.
As posted, check that you’re running the correct bulb in your headlight. A higher wattage bulb, while it may work and give you more light, will overheat the connector faster than a stock one.
Are you running it on Bright? If so you’re pulling the maximum amps and overheating the connector. This is something that doesn’t happen overnight just over time. The fact that your “blowing / tripping” the breaker is an indication that your pulling over the maximum Amps for that circuit.
Check the manual or ask at the dealer what the Amp rating for the circuit is.
(Voltage x Amps = watts)
I think it has been dancing on the threshold of maximum because the fuse doesn't blow right away. It usually takes it several days. I have been running with my spots off for a while but now that I have removed the module I am running them again to see what happens.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:27 PM
BiggestDawg
Advanced HDF Member

I went by the dealer at lunch and verified that I do have the correct module for my bike. Not really sure why it did what it did but at this point it is off and I am going to look at other choices because I am not completely trusting of this one now. I like that it bugs people because that means they see me but when I am blowing fuses that is not such a good thing. So far I have been running with the spots on again and am ok but it did fine for several days at a shot so I am not completely convinced that there is not a problem.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Bocifus
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is intermittent, I suspect a bad connection (short) someplace in the wiring.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:35 PM
BiggestDawg
Advanced HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bocifus
If it is intermittent, I suspect a bad connection (short) someplace in the wiring.
That is something that I will be looking for. It would not be the first thing on this bike that I have found loose either. I had a problem with the speed sensor and so I replaced it and the wire got in an odd spot and rubbed through. I spent some time last night inspecting wires and adding some cable ties in spots to secure everything under the fairing better. Wires hanging loose is not only sloppy its down right dangerous.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Naysayers can F-off. The fact you don't like them shows they work EXTREMELY well. If it's "your time" why not wear a POS helmet and no seat belt when driving?

In fact, haters of loud exhaust say the exact same thing.

OP: Did you get the unit sold by HD? They have one now, so far, so good with mine.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 06-11-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:00 PM
BiggestDawg
Advanced HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Naysayers can F-off. The fact you don't like them shows they work EXTREMELY well. If it's "your time" why not wear a POS helmet and no seat belt when driving?

In fact, haters of loud exhaust say the exact same thing.

OP: Did you get the unit sold by HD? They have one now, so far, so good with mine.
Yes I it was the HD unit. I found out that because I got it last year it only had a 90 day warranty on it and that as of January they now have a 1 year warranty. Go figure!It was out of warranty by the time I started having trouble with it...

I am +1 with you on the whole thing. The light modulator has gotten a lot of comments, which tells me I get noticed more, and it has even caused some people to move over a lane for me, maybe because they think I'm a LEO, IDK but if they want to move over I will go by

I rock my music loud and proud and as soon as I can afford a new TD exhaust system I will do that and make it loud and proud that way as well. I need to get new speaker too because I have blown the left front

In the mean time I am checking all my connections and looking for loose wires as well as securing everything with new cable ties. The thing I am concerned with are shorts and grounds. I had to replace the stater over the winter and found that the pig tail from the old one had bare spots in it too. I suspect that the damage to the modulator may have come from the stater issue. Now that I think about it I had to get a warranty replacement on my Mini-Beast II horn around the same time so there must be something there that I didn't put together before.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:21 PM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,781 Likes on 530 Posts
Old 06-11-2013, 05:43 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggestDawg
I don't actually know for sure. I went on the premise that it is the stock lamp because the person that I purchased it from had done very little with the bike as far as mods or upgrades.
should say on the bulb what wattage it is , you could go with HIDs cheaper than LEDs and if people don't see this , an't nothing going to help

Attached Thumbnails Headlight flasher gone bad-new-lights.jpg  
Old 06-12-2013, 12:11 AM
50 below
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll fart anywhere I please, as much as I want because it makes me feel better. I don't care that other people have to smell it...F-'em!

Quick Reply: Headlight flasher gone bad