Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another damn windshield thread.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 11:45 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another damn windshield thread.

Anybody 5'9" using a shorter than stock windshield that they like? My local HD shop had Clock Works and Slipstreamer demos so I tried out a 6.5" Clock works and the high frequency buffeting was horrible I couldn't wait to get it off of my bike.I will probably go back and try the Slip Streamer this week.6-7" is a good hieght for me to see over the windshield but if I can't get rid of the buffeting I may give up on that idea.The stock windshield works great as far as blocking wind with no buffeting but the top of the windshield is right in my field of view and it's distracting.Maybe I should go taller I can get a Memphis Shades in a 15.Any advice and or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:48 AM
Mo.Rob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it isnt gonna hurt to try the other windshield if you can do it for free, maybe try a taller and shorter one as well.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:43 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm 6'4 and currently using a 9" flat shield. It took me several tries to find the right one. I was using a 8" and you really can't imagine what a difference it made adding just an inch. I went from moderate buffeting to zero buffeting. I can still easily look over the shield, and I have a good air bubble to ride in now...

Old 06-10-2013, 04:46 AM
Android
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED
Anybody 5'9" using a shorter than stock windshield that they like? My local HD shop had Clock Works and Slipstreamer demos so I tried out a 6.5" Clock works and the high frequency buffeting was horrible I couldn't wait to get it off of my bike.I will probably go back and try the Slip Streamer this week.6-7" is a good hieght for me to see over the windshield but if I can't get rid of the buffeting I may give up on that idea.The stock windshield works great as far as blocking wind with no buffeting but the top of the windshield is right in my field of view and it's distracting.Maybe I should go taller I can get a Memphis Shades in a 15.Any advice and or suggestions would be appreciated.
Try the longrideshields 6 inch. It will be like having a 7.5 -8 inch shield on.

They are a sponsor here

Old 06-10-2013, 05:00 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Years ago, before you could buy all these after market shields, I took a electric saber saw and cut a stock shield level with the tip of my nose height, that way I could see over it. I protected the shield from scratches by taping on two inch of masking tape, marking a line on the masking tape with a felt tip marker where I wanted to cut. Then I filed smooth the edge with a medal file. Worked fine for years. That's old school.

Last edited by jamesroadking; 06-10-2013 at 05:04 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:08 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the responses I'm going back Tues, the shops closed today, gonna try a few more.It's nice that they have demos I'd have been really pissed if I'd have payed $100 for that shield.I think I'll try the slipstreamer in the same height that should tell me if it's the height or the design of the clock works causing the buffeting.I'm hesitant to cut the stock one because it works so well.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:19 AM
nchogfan
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm 5'10" and have been thru a half dozen different windshields, different heights and some with the little flip at the top also. I put the stocker back on yesterday and it gives me the best results of any in ride quality concerning the wind buffeting. I just have to get used to looking through it instead of over it.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:47 AM
NascarGuy
Supporter
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 to LRS. I am 5'9" and have a LRS Elite Recurve 9" on mine. Perfect with minimal wind in face and no buffeting

Last edited by NascarGuy; 06-10-2013 at 07:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-10-2013, 09:05 AM
dlpuette
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

I have to throw in on this thread the windshield I got recently. It's from customflhtwindshields.net. They make a number of half moon shapes etc. But I bought the 9" flat top and I really love it. It's very different from all the recurves and standard shaped ones out there. The best part is that it's wider than stock and comes down a way out on the fairings. It does an amazing job of cutting out the side draft over the speakers. I have a perfect clear view out over the top. I really dig the flat top shape of it.

I got it in clear so it's tough to actually photograph. I tried a few recurves and the distortion of the road and painted lines made me nuts. This is by far the best windshield I personally have tried of many.

Best news is that it was only about $80.

Last edited by dlpuette; 06-10-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:41 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED
+1 on the Klock werks 6.5 ,I paid way to much for it. I have tried the LRS 9" flat top also worked ok was a little to tall I am 5'7". My next move is the stock CVO shield from the 2012 street glides part number 57185-05 or the 7 ultra from LRS

Quick Reply: Another damn windshield thread.